Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

How many of you follow the owners manual "New" car break in rules?

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I'm trying to be good. And yes I'm pretty much driving like an old lady. But I actually READ the manual (fully):geek: and on page 112 it says from 300 to 500 miles use the FULL engine rpm range and shift manually at higher rpms just do not perform sustained operation at WOT. BUT is telling you after 300miles to go WOT and use the full range of motors power band, just stay below 85 mph. It says it right in the manual, but I'm still leery. I always had 500 mi as the minimum in my mental book (whether new or rebuilt engine) before full throttle.

Jungle Cat

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dracut
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I did the break-in as recommended in the owner's manual - for the most part. I didn't limit it the whole time to 55 mph the first 100 miles though. I took the backroads form the dealer the first 50 miles or so staying around 45 mph, and then had to get on the highway the remaining 30 miles home....speed limit was 70 so that's what I did. Everything else was by the book. I have 769 miles on it now, and haven't changed the oil yet. I'll most likely do the same I did with my '15 and change it around 2K miles.

I kind of like the fact it still has the factory fill with whatever break-in additive they use (if any). I already bought new oil and filter from NAPA waiting till that time comes. (saved 66 bucks on 12 quarts and a filter!!)

-I tend to agree with what was said above about the break-in mainly being for the rear end.
It has been determined the factory fill oil is not different than the Pennzoil you can buy.

Usmc341

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Henderson
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I didn't follow it to the letter. Pretty tough staying under 55mph on RT 95 driving 300 miles home. I just took it easy. Common sense prevails. No smokey burnouts, keep the revs down and it will be fine. Did the same to all my hellcats never had an issue.

Usmc341

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Henderson
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
It has been determined the factory fill oil is not different than the Pennzoil you can buy.
Agreed. "Break in oil" is a myth.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Boring as it is (and sometimes a bit complicated from a logistical standpoint), I treat them like any new gear set should be broken in. I've had too many gear issues in the past to chance it.

While I'm looking forward to picking up the Trackhawk next week, the first 100 miles will be time consuming because of the break-in. The next 400 will be boring - unless there's a lot of snow and ice, in which case I probably can't go 100 mph anyway.

Then an oil change at 500 miles, and....well, by then it may be time to pull the Challenger out of hibernation and park the Jeep.

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 PCP Redeye Challenger Widebody
I kind of like the fact it still has the factory fill with whatever break-in additive they use (if any). I already bought new oil and filter from NAPA waiting till that time comes. (saved 66 bucks on 12 quarts and a filter!!)
Which is why I said "if any" on my original post. I do recall a member on the other site draining his oil for the first time, and it had a definite green tint to it. Perhaps someone determined something about that too? I'm pretty sure any manufacturer at least uses some type of assembly oil on every engine....the actual oil fill is most likely the regular Pennzoil.

Even if there's no break in oil involved, it doesn't prompt me to hurry up and change the oil in mine sooner. Certainly way before 6K miles, but I'll probably put 2K miles on it before I change it out.

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
Which is why I said "if any" on my original post. I do recall a member on the other site draining his oil for the first time, and it had a definite green tint to it. Perhaps someone determined something about that too? I'm pretty sure any manufacturer at least uses some type of assembly oil on every engine....the actual oil fill is most likely the regular Pennzoil.

Even if there's no break in oil involved, it doesn't prompt me to hurry up and change the oil in mine sooner. Certainly way before 6K miles, but I'll probably put 2K miles on it before I change it out.
I agree. Who knows? I did mine at 2,200 miles (6 months) for what it is worth.