Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Homelink issues?

Taxinator

Member ID
Reactions
City
SANTA CLARITA
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger SRT
For the past few months the Homelink in the Hellcat has been flakey. It has worked flawlessly for several years though. Garage opener is a Liftmaster 8500.

Symptom is that I can hit the button in the car (Homelink) and the door opens and I pull out. Once out of the garage I hit the button and the door doesn't close. I keep hitting it and sometimes it'll eventually close but after some random number of button presses. Usually I just get PO'd and get out and go to the wall panel and shut the door stepping over the beam sensor on the way back to the car.

Anyone else have this happen? I'll give Homelink a buzz this week if no one has any ideas.
Same experience here…worked perfectly for years and now random problems. I now carry the garage remote in the center console for when the Homelink stops working. The garage remote always works. I’ll have to do some testing with the exterior lights, since they are LED.

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Yes, CFLs and LEDs were both jacking with mine.

Because I couldn't find old school incandescent, I bought some 70watt halogens and my issues went away, and my range went up as well.

My installer said it's a known issue.
With the Liftmaster model, or with garage doors in general? I have 6 doors and have no problems - except the safety beams are installed too high for me to walk over, so I have them near the door frame so I can just reach inside from outside the doorway.

EDIT: I use the garage remotes, not the Homelink or Ford's similar system. So my response may not be appropo to your question.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
With the Liftmaster model, or with garage doors in general? I have 6 doors and have no problems - except the safety beams are installed too high for me to walk over, so I have them near the door frame so I can just reach inside from outside the doorway.

EDIT: I use the garage remotes, not the Homelink or Ford's similar system. So my response may not be appropo to your question.

Specifically Liftmaster.

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #25
It's a pet peeve of mine when you never get the end of the story, so....

I reprogrammed my Homelink using the actual door remote rather than the piggy back doo dad I have (can't remember why I got that maybe from the old car). Anyway, I've not had an issue in over 2 weeks and the Homelink works all the way from the street coming up to my house.

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 HCM6 2022 RENB
What is a "piggy back doo dad "???

Also, seems whenever I program the doors for the HC, it wipes out the codes for my other remotes and I have to reprogram them.

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #27
It was an add on unit that plugged in beside the opener motor and came with a special remote. From memory I think it allowed you to program older Homelink systems that couldn't deal with the Security+ encryption or something. I must have needed it for my 2009 Challenger but it's been a while.