Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Homelink issues?

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
For the past few months the Homelink in the Hellcat has been flakey. It has worked flawlessly for several years though. Garage opener is a Liftmaster 8500.

Symptom is that I can hit the button in the car (Homelink) and the door opens and I pull out. Once out of the garage I hit the button and the door doesn't close. I keep hitting it and sometimes it'll eventually close but after some random number of button presses. Usually I just get PO'd and get out and go to the wall panel and shut the door stepping over the beam sensor on the way back to the car.

Anyone else have this happen? I'll give Homelink a buzz this week if no one has any ideas.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
For the past few months the Homelink in the Hellcat has been flakey. It has worked flawlessly for several years though. Garage opener is a Liftmaster 8500.

Symptom is that I can hit the button in the car (Homelink) and the door opens and I pull out. Once out of the garage I hit the button and the door doesn't close. I keep hitting it and sometimes it'll eventually close but after some random number of button presses. Usually I just get PO'd and get out and go to the wall panel and shut the door stepping over the beam sensor on the way back to the car.

Anyone else have this happen? I'll give Homelink a buzz this week if no one has any ideas.

Yes, CFLs and LEDs were both jacking with mine.

Because I couldn't find old school incandescent, I bought some 70watt halogens and my issues went away, and my range went up as well.

My installer said it's a known issue.

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #4
So the garage is full of fluorescent tube lights and the opener does have CFLs in it for its lights. I wondered if that were a factor so yesterday I tried turning all lights off, but still had the issue. Also the lights have all been the same since the shop was built but just recently I started having problems.

With this 8500 opener the wall mounted switch is wireless as well, but it is rolling code blah blah so I had to do some special programming with a special remote. Just odd that it's worked great for several years.

I have already tried reprogramming and that hasn't seemed to help.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
So the garage is full of fluorescent tube lights and the opener does have CFLs in it for its lights. I wondered if that were a factor so yesterday I tried turning all lights off, but still had the issue. Also the lights have all been the same since the shop was built but just recently I started having problems.

With this 8500 opener the wall mounted switch is wireless as well, but it is rolling code blah blah so I had to do some special programming with a special remote. Just odd that it's worked great for several years.

I have already tried reprogramming and that hasn't seemed to help.

I hope it's on the lift side of the problem and not the car.

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #6
Well, the remotes all work flawlessly, so.....:sneaky:

John G.

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat
I had that problem too. Homelink would work inside the garage, and outside with the door open, but not outside with the door closed.

Homelink told me LED lights can interfere, even when off (I have LEDs in the exterior fixtures, fluorescents inside). It was their opinion something was interfering with the signal since Homelink worked inside the garage. They told me I may need a new opener.

Chamberlain told me LEDs and a refrigerator can interfere. They recommended I unplug the refer but that didn't help.

My Chamberlain remotes worked fine, so I just started using them instead of Homelink to open the door when returning home. After a while Homelink started working again on its own. I think there was some unknown kind of temporary neighborhood interference.

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #8
Mine has a "repeater" on it, I for the life of me can't remember why I put that on the opener. It's used for compatibility issues but all our cars work with Liftmaster. Who knows.

I just programmed the opener again this time making sure it's to the actual door opener and not this repeater thing I have no idea why I have. We'll see how that goes.

I do have LED eve lights too, so maybe it's a combination of things. So strange it had worked fine for several years, but interference can do odd things.

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
Did anything change in your garage? Any metal objects/implements placed in the rafters, between the overhead doors, next to the overhead doors, alum siding, flashing, tools, rakes, etc. Does the opener have a wire antenna? Did it get bent? Maybe change the angle. Maybe just for fun, program another channel for the door and see if it does the same thing.

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #10
Nothing that I can think of. If my latest reprogramming doesn't work I'll try another button.

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB
You don’t think the screen you changed out would have anything to do with it do you? I know it may be a stretch but it seems so much of these electrical systems are interconnected so just a thought since you changed it out recently.

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #12
Was happening before the Uconnect change.

HWDan

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Home of the Hellcat
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Charger SRT 392
Homelike in both of my Dodges have always worked well, even from a distance a few houses away.

However, one time I got a replacement Chamberlain remote for another car and it would only work in the garage. Unscientifically, and with complete disregard to RF wavelength principals, I just took a 2-3 foot piece of wire, about the same thickness as the antenna, twisted one end across the entire length of the antenna. The rest I routed across to a rafter and let it hang down like a relocated, way longer antenna. It just works.

I'm guessing the newer remotes just transmit with less power and have a harder time penetrating the metal garage door.

How about have you added or replaced wireless routers/extenders/mesh in the garage since?

Also any wireless security cameras? (don't answer, just another thing to consider) A lot of those only record on motion, so if you drive out they start recording and transmitting?

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Homelike in both of my Dodges have always worked well, even from a distance a few houses away.

However, one time I got a replacement Chamberlain remote for another car and it would only work in the garage. Unscientifically, and with complete disregard to RF wavelength principals, I just took a 2-3 foot piece of wire, about the same thickness as the antenna, twisted one end across the entire length of the antenna. The rest I routed across to a rafter and let it hang down like a relocated, way longer antenna. It just works.

I'm guessing the newer remotes just transmit with less power and have a harder time penetrating the metal garage door.

How about have you added or replaced wireless routers/extenders/mesh in the garage since?

Also any wireless security cameras? (don't answer, just another thing to consider) A lot of those only record on motion, so if you drive out they start recording and transmitting?

You probably got lucky and hit a harmonic of the wave length...

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat!

This has been my Homelink experience, since day 1, with my MY15 Hellcat and my MY06 SRT Charger. I would regularly have to reprogram the Homelink, in the MY 06.

Sketchy, at best.

Sent from my SM-G666 using Tapatalk

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
We had this issue with all of our vehicles so we just use the clip on remotes in our cars except the Challenger which works only if we're up close.
I think that it's the range capability or signal strength of the Mopar transponders.
Other cars that we had would work from the end of the street.

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
I had this issue with my Hellcat. I cleared all the programing and reprogramed with no issues after that.

JP426

Founding Member
U.S. Army Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Walla Walla
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I have one of those SRT clocks with the neon around the outside. The neon finally burned out but still had power to it. It was causing all kinds of problems with my Homelink, it was just luck that I unplugged it and the problem went away.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
I have one of those SRT clocks with the neon around the outside. The neon finally burned out but still had power to it. It was causing all kinds of problems with my Homelink, it was just luck that I unplugged it and the problem went away.

Wow, I have one as well, I'll have to check on and off to see what happens.

Thanks!

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions