Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Flex fuel datalog

OP
jonx96

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Thread Starter #21
Unfortunately some tuners have their own "canned tunes" and they don't work on every car the same . It would take many hours to dial in each individual car and customers wouldn't pay for that and the tuners have to make money . Also I have learned the some flex fuel parameters are different between the two 2015-2017 ecu's and 2018 and up ecu's. So if you use the wrong parameters it with throw the tune off .

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk
Should be advertised as an "email tune" not a "remote tune".

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Should be advertised as an "email tune" not a "remote tune".
I agree . They should also have a disclaimer of possible multiple weeks delay .

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
One of the most frustrating things with these cars is when a tune isn't working as expected. I went through this several years ago with the old car when a Diablo Trinity updated my CALID in order to flash a tune (terrible procedure by Diablo by the way as it's dangerous and you can't reverse it). In the end I had to send my PCM to Mike to have the original CALID reflashed back in the PCM and could never use a Trinity for tuning.

I'm sure it'll get sorted with time, but it's gonna take some patience I think while the issue is researched. Flashing a different CAL takes special equipment that most tuners don't have, so if that path is chosen it may take some collaboration.

What's the CALID? Comparing that with someone else's 2018 may indicate if that might be a thing.

Last edited:
OP
jonx96

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Thread Starter #24
To clarify for people. I am wanting to look at STFT in the datalog to compare against my tune which is also tuned by Dusterhoff.
The fan issue is an issue but isn't anything causing drive ability issues it is just annoying.

parttimer

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
crazyweathertown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I can send you a log, you are looking for flex logs? I was tuned last year.

OP
jonx96

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Thread Starter #26
I can send you a log, you are looking for flex logs? I was tuned last year.
I'll send you my email. Thanks!

Grape Ape

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Braselton
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
We are in the middle of tuning mine now. I will let you know when it gets completed.

OP
jonx96

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Thread Starter #28
We are in the middle of tuning mine now. I will let you know when it gets completed.
If you want second eyes during the process feel free to let us know. Keep an an eye on stft. Remember high numbers bad. Under 10 acceptable. 8 or less ideal 5 or less about perfect. 0 is perfect.
If you want to share a log now let me know and I’ll give you some questions to ask. Questions aren’t a bad thing to ask your tuner I wouldn’t think.

Grape Ape

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Braselton
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
2016 Hellcat - Flex tune, 2.85 Hellraiser upper, FIC 1200 injectors, stock air box with a K&N filter, 180 thermostat, Tapped Performance dual 295 pumps.

OP
jonx96

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Thread Starter #31
Here are a couple of files.
These both look pretty good. STFT are actually pretty good for an email flex fuel tune.
These are both pulls do you have a log of driving around in the car?
Do you have any drivability issues with the car?

I believe your aircharge isn't showing up because you are using beta. Try to load it in the standard version and it most likely will (for future logs).

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Also logs say E85 but calc'd to E69 and E77. Was it actual measured E85 or did you have some 93 in the tank that would have made the calc in the E70 range. Trims are a bit positive but nothing crazy.

Grape Ape

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Braselton
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
These both look pretty good. STFT are actually pretty good for an email flex fuel tune.
These are both pulls do you have a log of driving around in the car?
Do you have any drivability issues with the car?

I believe your aircharge isn't showing up because you are using beta. Try to load it in the standard version and it most likely will (for future logs).
So far no issues. It did scare the crap out of me for a couple of days during the tuning though. After what would have been the final pull, it started running like it fouled the plugs out in it. After pulling all of the plugs on bank 2 and seeing they were fine, I started looking elsewhere. I was afraid either the O2 sensor or the cats had failed. Come to find out, 2 of the injector connectors were so loose they practically fell of the injector when I touched them. Apparently some of the adapters do not lock up very well. I'm glad it turned out to be something easy though.

I attached a log of a short drive near my house.

Attachments

Grape Ape

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Braselton
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Also logs say E85 but calc'd to E69 and E77. Was it actual measured E85 or did you have some 93 in the tank that would have made the calc in the E70 range. Trims are a bit positive but nothing crazy.
It was pump E85 that could have had some residual 93 in it.

OP
jonx96

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Thread Starter #35
It was pump E85 that could have had some residual 93 in it.
I'd still recommend a tester to make sure your computer is reading right and finding the best stations in your area. They are like $10 on amazon. Being flex you won't have to test it every time. It is just nice to know.

So far no issues. It did scare the crap out of me for a couple of days during the tuning though. After what would have been the final pull, it started running like it fouled the plugs out in it. After pulling all of the plugs on bank 2 and seeing they were fine, I started looking elsewhere. I was afraid either the O2 sensor or the cats had failed. Come to find out, 2 of the injector connectors were so loose they practically fell of the injector when I touched them. Apparently some of the adapters do not lock up very well. I'm glad it turned out to be something easy though.

I saw some higher spots where stft where having to add fuel in this log. One spot 15%. Luckily, It looks like it is happening on decel. On acceleration it starts a little lean and turns to the rich side. For the cruising log.
As speedy said I noticed the Lean spots in your STFTs but weren't anything to crazy. It does look like your stft are adding fuel most the way through the pull.
Most people would like to see it the other way. As speedy said it isn't bad enough to worry about. Here is a snip of what we are looking at. You can see STFT are positive 10% meaning it is having to add fuel. If it were -10% it is taking fuel away meaning rich which is safer.
As you can see your commanded and WB EQ ratio are close enough where it really isn't causing an issue. This is from your WOT pull. You could mention something about lean and stft adding fuel and you would rather see them a bit rich and take fuel away if you are still in the tuning process. If tune is complete and signed off I wouldn't worry to much about it.
stftlean.PNG

Grape Ape

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Braselton
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I'd still recommend a tester to make sure your computer is reading right and finding the best stations in your area. They are like $10 on amazon. Being flex you won't have to test it every time. It is just nice to know.

I saw some higher spots where stft where having to add fuel in this log. One spot 15%. Luckily, It looks like it is happening on decel. On acceleration it starts a little lean and turns to the rich side. For the cruising log.
As speedy said I noticed the Lean spots in your STFTs but weren't anything to crazy. It does look like your stft are adding fuel most the way through the pull.
Most people would like to see it the other way. As speedy said it isn't bad enough to worry about. Here is a snip of what we are looking at. You can see STFT are positive 10% meaning it is having to add fuel. If it were -10% it is taking fuel away meaning rich which is safer.
As you can see your commanded and WB EQ ratio are close enough where it really isn't causing an issue. This is from your WOT pull. You could mention something about lean and stft adding fuel and you would rather see them a bit rich and take fuel away if you are still in the tuning process. If tune is complete and signed off I wouldn't worry to much about it.
View attachment 47970
Thanks @jonx96
I actually have a tester. I just keep forgetting to put it in the car when I'm headed to fill up. I have only had a couple of opportunities though. I just need to get in the habit as I have never had a flex fuel car before. How does this compare to your tune?

OP
jonx96

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Thread Starter #37
Thanks @jonx96
I actually have a tester. I just keep forgetting to put it in the car when I'm headed to fill up. I have only had a couple of opportunities though. I just need to get in the habit as I have never had a flex fuel car before. How does this compare to your tune?
Your stft are in a much better range. Mine went more rich. But I had many in the 15 percent to 30 percent range.
curious if your ltft kick in. If so that will help with your stft. Put 50 to 100 miles on the car and post another log. You don’t have to log that whole time. Just once you hit that many miles just record another drive around.
You also have a 16. 18 is a bit different. I actually had a shop tell me they wouldn’t remote tune a 2018 on flex fuel because they haven’t done enough of them. They would have done it if I had a 16. They were a very well known shop too.
I had my issues in part throttle. Also going into reverse or drive the car would either die or about die out.
sometimes it is easiest to put a water bottle in the car to fill up at the pump and then drive home and test it.
we ended up canceling my flex fuel tune and am just on a straight e85 tune now. I’m going to spend the time dialing in the injectors still. Also made a few other changes.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I keep an old small Gatorade bottle in the passenger side door for those times I wanna grab a sample.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat

Did you look at the plugs in the cylinders that had the loose injector connectors?
What plugs you running and at what gap?

Grape Ape

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Braselton
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle