Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

First time out with the Hellcat at the track, what to expect?

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
Thread Starter #21
Deleted my post... Just venting and it is not making me feel any better. @Magnified six feet is not enough to stop the cough, if you see someone outside coughing and not wearing a mask, say a prayer. @Linda's Hell Cat saw the petition, signed. Doubt it will do anything.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
Did I miss what tire you’re running? That makes all of the difference.
FWIW - my best time was on a 17” MT at 16psi. Dead hooked but could tell a psi or 2 wouldn’t have hurt on that pass. Work your way up from there if you don’t want to waste a lot of time spinning... working your way down take too long for me. :)

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #23
Did I miss what tire you’re running? That makes all of the difference.
FWIW - my best time was on a 17” MT at 16psi. Dead hooked but could tell a psi or 2 wouldn’t have hurt on that pass. Work your way up from there if you don’t want to waste a lot of time spinning... working your way down take too long for me. :)
305/45/17 Mickey Thompson ET Street R's

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
Yeah, you may not run a 10 out of the box, but a tire is all you need to damn near guarantee it.

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
So I'm no stranger to drag racing, spent the entire last year learning how to do it with the Scat Pack. Got pretty good at it, held the title of fastest stock charger scat pack with a 2015 that went 11.612 @ 119mph which got obliterated by a 2019 Charger when they came out. Had a lot of fun, made a ton of friends and am looking forward to making more friends with the Hellcat. When I was learning to drag race I came up with the following habit from burnout box to light to 1320... This is a video of me at Capitol Last year.

1.) Use tazer to do a burnout with a zero one, zero two, zero three count to get the Mickey Thompson ET Street R's sticky, when I saw smoke I would roll out.
2.) I would then hit traction control for eight seconds to turn off the traction control completely. I found that in the Scat Pack, traction control even on Track settings hurt time.
3.) Roll to light, hit first beam, wait for other driver.
4.) Hit second beam, begin torque converter lock by power braking to 1800 RPM.
5.) On third yellow, drop the hammer and hold on.
6.) 1320 begin light braking and depending on lane wait to turn off to service road.

Am I going to be able to adapt this to the Hellcat or do I have to re-work my procedures? Also is launch control a gimmick in these cars as well or does it actually work? Would launch control have me leave under boost or would power braking at the line be the best option? I play to lower the PSI in the Mickey's to 20PSI to start off with, thoughts on this? I'll be heading to Cecil County tomorrow night and have flutters in my stomach, the prospect of drag racing again has me all excited!

What race page settings are you planning to use ? I have mine ready to go in my custom settings.
Your burnout is perfect.......rolling out is good and a must.

There is always a debate on traction control. I turn mine off on the way down to the water box. I've tried it both ways and for me its better off.

Courtesy staging is always good.

I only gave it enough throttle to know there was some fuel, I did not load the converter ( Your video sounds about right though)
( I do now because I have an upgraded one, that I can.....learning still what is the best for launching)

Still leave on the 3rd light.

Is your Hellcat completely stock?

I ask because with the MT Rs you should have a Diff brace installed?

Linda :)

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #26
What race page settings are you planning to use ? I have mine ready to go in my custom settings.
Your burnout is perfect.......rolling out is good and a must.

There is always a debate on traction control. I turn mine off on the way down to the water box. I've tried it both ways and for me its better off.

Courtesy staging is always good.

I only gave it enough throttle to know there was some fuel, I did not load the converter ( Your video sounds about right though)
( I do now because I have an upgraded one, that I can.....learning still what is the best for launching)

Still leave on the 3rd light.

Is your Hellcat completely stock?

I ask because with the MT Rs you should have a Diff brace installed?

Linda :)
I bought the DIFF BRACE you recommended when I did my newbie introduction. :) Approximately one month ago, first mod. I turn off traction control completely. I don't know how the TC is managed in this vehicle but I'm going to assume it is speed based so when fronts spin slower than rears the brakes engage to slow em down. This would hurt times massively with the Scat Pack, just be done with the whole thing :).