Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Engine Diaper questions

Jroc

Premium Account
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Chilliwack
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
I have a question for anyone running an engine diaper, are you still able to drive the car on the street, or do the oil temps get too hot? I am about to install my DJ Safety engine diaper but wasn't sure if it would be ok to drive the car to the track (1 hour away) with it on or not. Another potentially stupid question, if you don't drive with it on aside from at the track, what do you do with the straps hanging from the header? Are they ok just hanging down without the diaper attached?

I know they might be stupid questions, just trying to figure out what I'm getting myself into here. The car isn't a daily driver but I do drive it to work maybe once or twice a month and drive it to to and from the track and car shows from time to time.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Good questions actually. I think that under normal conditions (not today) the heat shouldn’t be a issue. I don’t think the stock pan with the stock plastic shrouding under it really sheds much heat so I don’t think the diaper will make much difference. If you put some miles on it and just keep a eye on your temps, it will answer your question for you. As far as the straps go…. I picture one of those flapping around and wrapping around a header pipe. Probably less likely with a stock manifold.

OP
Jroc

Jroc

Premium Account
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Chilliwack
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #3
I appreciate your insight as always. I agree I think it will be fine for the most part and I pretty much had the same feeling with the straps if they were just left hanging. I’ll throw it on and just monitor the temps.

Thanks!

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
I always took the thing off if I was doing extended street driving.
The other cars were track only cars that I had them on so they stayed on.

Not much help.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
I have a question for anyone running an engine diaper, are you still able to drive the car on the street, or do the oil temps get too hot? I am about to install my DJ Safety engine diaper but wasn't sure if it would be ok to drive the car to the track (1 hour away) with it on or not. Another potentially stupid question, if you don't drive with it on aside from at the track, what do you do with the straps hanging from the header? Are they ok just hanging down without the diaper attached?

I know they might be stupid questions, just trying to figure out what I'm getting myself into here. The car isn't a daily driver but I do drive it to work maybe once or twice a month and drive it to to and from the track and car shows from time to time.
My diaper days were long ago, and I left them on all the time, so I'm not much help at this point (did not see great oil temp increases, but I was well provisioned with oil coolers). As for driving it to work one or two days a month, how far is that? How many times do you get on it, round trip? ;)

OP
Jroc

Jroc

Premium Account
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Chilliwack
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #6
Thanks, guys. I appreciate the input. I got it on last night and just need to shorten the tails on the straps after work today, and I should be able to get the car off the Quickjacks. I am still not sure if I got it on right or not, there are no instructions, and I couldn't find any anywhere. I think I have it all set up correctly, although the buckle on the rear passenger side strap sits right up against one of the header tubes, but I can't see any way to avoid it.

My diaper days were long ago, and I left them on all the time, so I'm not much help at this point (did not see great oil temp increases, but I was well provisioned with oil coolers). As for driving it to work one or two days a month, how far is that? How many times do you get on it, round trip? ;)
Hahaha I listed the distance to the track but not to work. Shows where my head is at. Work is about an hour and a half each way, I'd say I only really get on it once or twice each way going to work.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
You have more self control than I did.

OP
Jroc

Jroc

Premium Account
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Chilliwack
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #8
So to close it out incase anyone else has the same questions. I drove an hour and a half to work today in 96 degree temps and the oil temp peaked at 204, so it seems like the diaper doesn't affect things too much.