Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

E85 Tuning Questions

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Did someone say HPT can log alcohol content of the fuel?

By the way, a lot can be gleaned logging your stock car.
When the appropriate channel is selected...yes it can...when you are on flex fuel that is...as its a data point the PCM then calculates. The stock hellcat OS/CAL isn't set up for it. When on the 2.5 E85 only tune that channel always reads 0 for me. On 2.85/FFV it will start to change as soon as a couple miles after filling up.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Gotcha, thanks for clarifying. That must be part of the custom template Curt's tunes include.

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I am not sure how others do their flex-fuel calibrations in HP tuners but once you're on a flex fuel tune you should be able to select that channel for logging and then display it in a graph or gauge if you so choose.

Curt was kind enough to send a layout with his Tunes for data logging though we did have to change a couple items due to differences in various Cal files.

For instance the intake air temperature Channel reads IAT 1 on my car instead of IAT2 like several others. To get an IAT2 reading on my car I actually need to log the channel air charge temperature (what the dash reads). I/C coolant temp is LTR Coolant Temp. So on and so forth.

curt_dusterhofftuning

Vendor
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Big Canoe
State
GA
Country
United States
@curt_dusterhofftuning

Curt,

HHP is now selling a 3.17 Litens pulley (No tune required).

https://www.highhorseperformance.co...zRvtDMcleMkXp7XinbD3V01fpeyK7wV6RZ8KQ522wjyu8

I know that the fuel system (pumps) you can't do much in the way of smaller pulleys on E85 for a Redeye. Assuming you have the FIC1200 injectors do you know if this pulley would work with just an injector upgrade on the Redeye using E85? I'd guess it gives you 1-1.5psi.
Yes I sell it as well. We worked with litens during the testing phase and tested it on a demon with and without tuning.

I'm not sure I follow your question. To do e85 you will for sure need injectors but unless you go way down on the pulley size the stock fuel system will be fine. The redeyes come with the same dual pumps that the demons do.

OP
MaxCarnage

MaxCarnage

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
19' Redeye
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #45
Yes I sell it as well. We worked with litens during the testing phase and tested it on a demon with and without tuning.

I'm not sure I follow your question. To do e85 you will for sure need injectors but unless you go way down on the pulley size the stock fuel system will be fine. The redeyes come with the same dual pumps that the demons do.
So would FIC1200 injectors + Litens 3.17 pulley E85 tune work with stock Redeye/Demon fuel pumps? Or can you not pulley down what so ever without fuel pump upgrades? I just figured this 3.17 pulley isn't too far off stock, and their might be room (on stock pumps) for a small pulley change.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
@curt_dusterhofftuning - do you stand behind the claim that running their 3.17 does not require tuning? Does that include in really good DA? Curious as to how much overhead we have.

moparjim

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Vaudreuil
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
@curt_dusterhofftuning - do you stand behind the claim that running their 3.17 does not require tuning? Does that include in really good DA? Curious as to how much overhead we have.
My concern is exactly that. We are about to get into crazy da up here. Last year Atco was -500 I think. But here that weekend we were -1200. We got better than that wks later. Not sure I would be comfortable with that. Or do I have how it works backwords.

parttimer

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
crazyweathertown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
So, if I am reading this correctly, we are able to tune a vehicle so it will sense whether E85 is in the tank or 93? I'm running a ripatuned PGK pulley and 1050's. I am guessing I'd need FIC1200 or ID1300 to run E85 but I could switch fuels without needing to retune? I don't have E85 in my town, but it is available 25 minutes away. It would be nice to fill up there whenever i could and not have to retune.

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Well...not in the tank...but yes. A flex fuel tune will infer the alcohol content of the fuel based off feedback from the factory wideband O2s. It will read any ethanol blend and adjust ignition timing and fueling (but not boost) accordingly. As it won't adjust boost...your base pulley combo must be safe for use with both 93 and E85.

curt_dusterhofftuning

Vendor
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Big Canoe
State
GA
Country
United States
So would FIC1200 injectors + Litens 3.17 pulley E85 tune work with stock Redeye/Demon fuel pumps? Or can you not pulley down what so ever without fuel pump upgrades? I just figured this 3.17 pulley isn't too far off stock, and their might be room (on stock pumps) for a small pulley change.
Yes that combo should work. You only really need a bap when going way down on pulley.

curt_dusterhofftuning

Vendor
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Big Canoe
State
GA
Country
United States
I'd rather not. To me, it appears that it would be ok but I don't really want to make myself liable for someone else's product tbh. I have only tested it on a dyno and then we tuned that vehicle. I wouldn't feel comfortable saying so until I had tested one at the track in a variety of conditions.

OP
MaxCarnage

MaxCarnage

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
19' Redeye
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #52
Yes that combo should work. You only really need a bap when going way down on pulley.
What pulley(s) would you suggest are safe on stock Redeye/Demon pumps without a bap on E85? Just this new 3.17 or 2.85 as well? Just making sure I don't push the fuel system too far, I don't want to put a bap in it. Also keep in mind I'd like to run pump 92 (highest I have here) if needed (When your flex tune is ready for Redeyes), and I don't think anything else besides a 3.17 would work unless you pull a lot of timing I guess. Just thinking anything on a Redeye lower than 3.17 would be too much boost for pump gas.

OP
MaxCarnage

MaxCarnage

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
19' Redeye
HFCOTM
View Images
Thread Starter #53
So, if I am reading this correctly, we are able to tune a vehicle so it will sense whether E85 is in the tank or 93? I'm running a ripatuned PGK pulley and 1050's. I am guessing I'd need FIC1200 or ID1300 to run E85 but I could switch fuels without needing to retune? I don't have E85 in my town, but it is available 25 minutes away. It would be nice to fill up there whenever i could and not have to retune.
You would need Curt's flex fuel tune (He is partnered with Ripa too), to have the car sense whether you have pump gas or ethanol in the tank. That way you can stay on that single tune without having to swap tunes back and forth if you wanted to. You will defiantly need a re-tune for the flex fuel part that does that, and for the bigger injectors.

Also what Fubar said is correct. The flex tune cannot adjust boost (that is based on your pulley setup), so you have to make sure the pulley setup is safe for pump gas. Most do a 2.85 pulley on a Hellcat with a flex tune. I'm not sure if I remember correctly but I think Ripas pump gas killer (PGK) is a 2.79 pulley, so that should work just fine. So you would need bigger injectors and the flex tune, and you'd be set.

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Here’s a screenshot of my alcohol percentage on Friday on my way to the track in holly Springs ms , it was spirited driving lol you can see the it’s at 82.5 7880F968-9567-4411-BEE4-79C6CED9B64D.jpeg

Last edited:

Hemiride

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Farwell
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Forgive my ignorance im old and trying to learn, which is a chore lol.
I purchased curts level 2 package slightly used from hellno. Great guy by the way. Anyway it consists of
Listens 2.85 pulley
Fic 775 injectors I have to get a 180 stat
I also have blower spacers and thermo blanket

Question.
1. Will this setup support curt's flex fuel tune?
2. If a flex tune reads 93 to e85 why do people go
With a separate 85 tune
3. If my setup won't support a flex tune what else
Will I need?

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
To go flex fuel you will need a dual pump and larger injectors
I have what curt recommended
1200 cc fic injectors and injected engineering dual pump you don’t have to use a separate e85 tune the flex fuel will work fine but if you race it I believe it’s then suggested by curt to have an e85 tune just fit the track but call him to confirm but if you don’t go flex fuel the demon injectors you have will support that package you have

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
Here’s a screenshot of my alcohol percentage on Friday on my way to the track in holly Springs ms , it was spirited driving lol you can see the it’s at 82.5 View attachment 6394
No way in HP Tuners to limit throttle output % compared to pedal position?
HPT in 17 mustang platform my buddy (M6 also) can limit throttle % by gear.
That can’t be done in Dodge platform in HPT? Even as a whole across the board if not by gear.
AD041ABE-201C-42DF-83D3-891B2D6E9F58.png

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
No way in HP Tuners to limit throttle output % compared to pedal position?
HPT in 17 mustang platform my buddy (M6 also) can limit throttle % by gear.
That can’t be done in Dodge platform in HPT? Even as a whole across the board if not by gear.
View attachment 6569
You will need to call a tuner to answer that question

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
I’ve asked a couple, got from no to I don’t know. Guess keep asking lol
I’m DS so I can’t play at all :(

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Here’s a screenshot of my alcohol percentage on Friday on my way to the track in holly Springs ms , it was spirited driving lol you can see the it’s at 82.5 View attachment 6394
Spirited....pedal 91%, engine load 84%. Very spirited. LOL. Good exposure of info on livetime laptop (y)