Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Drag pak spec shootout

Marc0779

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Key largo
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Redeye/demon
✅️✅ ️NEW MODERN STREET HEMI SHOOTOUT CLASS AND CLASS SPONSOR ✅️✅️

🔸️🔸️ Blackbird Performance DRAG PAK SPEC SHOOTOUT 🔸️🔸️

https://blackbird-performance.com

http://hemirace.com/sponsors/blackbird-performance/

This is both an introduction of a class but also a sponsor commitment! Excited to have Mr Geoff Turk and his new venture on as a Modern Street HEMI Shootout Sponsor. Blackbird Performance carries a wealth of real drag racing experience and focuses it into the Drag Pak platform within NHRA Factory Stock and Factory X classes. Geoff and team also provide upgrades to Street cars from mild to WILD.

How does that translate to MSHS racing⁉️

Drag Pak owners have grown frustrated with pushing their cars at the ragged edge to be NHRA/NMCA competitive spending hundreds of thousands of dollar's. Parts are extremely scarce and the downtime is taking its toll. The solution by Drag Pak owners and Blackbird Performance has been to develop a SPEC MOTOR THAT WILL BE POWERFUL YET DURABLE AND BUILD A CLASS AROUND IT.

➡️➡️ DRAG PAK SPEC SHOOTOUT ⬅️⬅️

General Rules

▶️ Open to 2015, 2021 Drag Paks and Drag Pak clones

▶️ All competitors will use the same spec motor from Blackbird Performance in collaboration with BES. Engine will be 6.4L based on BGE block, 3.8L Whipple making ~ 1,400 HP

▶️ Heads-Up 1/4 mile

▶️ 3600 min weight with driver

▶️ Tune will be restricted (after 2,000 rpm) to a maximum timing advance, a maximum AFR in the collector, and a maximum RPM (TBD)

▶️ All other rules beyond engine will follow NHRA/NMCA Factory Showdown/Supercar rules

🔸️MSHS entry covers this class plus Bracket as 2nd class🔸️

🔸️$1,000 purse🔸️

https://blackbird-performance.com/

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Nice create a class to sell engines but get rid of heavyweight, love it

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Nice create a class to sell engines but get rid of heavyweight, love it
Heavy weight was getting too fast. There’s no way to cert a cage for the numbers those things with over 2000 hp are running. FSS is too expensive to be competitive in at the high level. Million dollar budget to go there. Thank the NHRA for that. A factory DragPak will run 8.00 if it’s left as it came. Those engines would be just as reliable if they limited the boost, timing and rpm as is proposed here. I think a “limited” DragPak class is a good idea. Don’t care for the requirement to buy a package engine though. Pretty easy to do a data log after a win in eliminations to confirm requirements.

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hellcat, Demon, Trackhawk and project X,
Heavy weight was getting too fast. There’s no way to cert a cage for the numbers those things with over 2000 hp are running. FSS is too expensive to be competitive in at the high level. Million dollar budget to go there. Thank the NHRA for that. A factory DragPak will run 8.00 if it’s left as it came. Those engines would be just as reliable if they limited the boost, timing and rpm as is proposed here. I think a “limited” DragPak class is a good idea. Don’t care for the requirement to buy a package engine though. Pretty easy to do a data log after a win in eliminations to confirm requirements.
Marc,

What are you talking about, "getting too fast"? Is there a weight limit on an 8.50 or 7.50 cage?

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Marc,

What are you talking about, "getting too fast"? Is there a weight limit on an 8.50 or 7.50 cage?
Yes there are weight limits on the cage certs. See the bottom of my 7.50 cert sticker. Max weight is 3600 lbs. IMG_2287.jpeg

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
It’s about “safety” (money)

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
Yes there are weight limits on the cage certs. See the bottom of my 7.50 cert sticker. Max weight is 3600 lbs. View attachment 131631
Yes, but was your car weighed? Mine was not BOTH times it was certified

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Yes, but was your car weighed? Mine was not BOTH times it was certified
No. The car wasn’t even completely together at the time the cage was inspected and certified. The cert just says the ‘cage’ meets the requirements. Not the rest of the car (including weight). That’s up to tech at the track. It’s not my idea. The weight limit is right there on the sticker. I’m just pointing out that, according to the NHRA, if my car weighs over 3600 lbs, it’s not legal with its current certification. The NHRA can change this if they want but they are continuously behind where they should be with stuff like this. Fortunately, tech is either unaware of what these things weigh or look the other way because they have never required me to weigh in as a part of tech.

Last edited:

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
No. The car wasn’t even completely together at the time the cage was inspected and certified. The cert just says the ‘cage’ meets the requirements. Not the rest of the car (including weight). That’s up to tech at the track. It’s not my idea. The weight limit is right there on the sticker. I’m just pointing out that, according to the NHRA, if my car weighs over 3600 lbs, it’s not legal with its current certification. The NHRA can change this if they want but they are continuously behind where they should be with stuff like this. Fortunately, tech is either unaware of what these things weigh or look the other way because they have never required me to weigh in as a part of tech.
We’re talking about MSHS though lol

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Buy an engine for a class that exists in 1 competition while getting rid of others. Was anyone running 7s in heavyweight? Looks like Heavyweight is still on the menu for Orlando only! An event exclusive next weekend! Good.

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
IMG_4062.jpeg IMG_4061.jpeg

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
They really could of used different times for some of the classes. They don't have to to do 0 and 5. 9.70 or 10.30 for instance. No matter what classes you have or take away someone will not be happy. They could have done a 9.30 instead of a 9.00 and would have been more between the 2

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Yes there are weight limits on the cage certs. See the bottom of my 7.50 cert sticker. Max weight is 3600 lbs. View attachment 131631
There is N/A as an option. So if the cage is certified for 2800 lbs is there more bars or something to make it for 3600 lbs?

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
There is N/A as an option. So if the cage is certified for 2800 lbs is there more bars or something to make it for 3600 lbs?
The difference is tubing size and placement (how many and where) The requirements are laid out in the NHRA rulebook. The difference between a 8.50 cage and a 7.50 cage is huge. 8.50 is nothing by comparison. I found a picture of my 8.50 cert sticker back when and there is no weight limit at that level for a modern muscle car like ours. The N/A is punched. The certs where you go faster than 8.50 is where the max weight limits come in. The 7.50 cert involves the floor, the overhead and even behind the firewall. I’ve shown this before but… once again 😵‍💫 IMG_2270.jpeg IMG_8107.jpeg

Last edited:

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
The difference is tubing size and placement (how many and where) The requirements are laid out in the NHRA rulebook. The difference between a 8.50 cage and a 7.50 cage is huge. 8.50 is nothing by comparison. I found a picture of my 8.50 cert sticker back when and there is no weight limit at that level for a modern muscle car like ours. The N/A is punched. The certs where you go faster than 8.50 is where the max weight limits come in. The 7.50 cert involves the floor, the overhead and even behind the firewall. I’ve shown this before but… once again 😵‍💫 View attachment 131653 View attachment 131655
Do you have a source for those seat brackets? I’d like a set

Hatermkr

1000 Posts Club
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
West bend
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 helldemon
They could have kept heavyweight and make a factory transmission a rule. And make the cars have a CAGE and license. Most heavyweight guys don’t have that. Make your car legal and safe not just fast.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Do you have a source for those seat brackets? I’d like a set
Those are custom Carlin Fabrication brackets for Kirky seats. They are sized to fit the Hellcat floor points and sit under the seat. You can see that they are slotted for forward and aft adjustment. You need to drill the holes in the seat and brackets to bolt it down on top of the brackets. I have a set that have never been used. They were made for somebody else and are too short for me and were made for the larger 18” wide seat. The hight on these are not adjustable and this set would be best used for somebody 6’+ tall. That’s why I never used them. I wouldn’t be able to see out 😁. I will sell them for $150 plus shipping. If you want them…. I will take a return if they don’t work for you as long as you don’t drill holes and you cover the return shipping. I just don’t want to be out of pocket for a trial run. IMG_6247.jpeg

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
The current NHRA rules state that a cage is not needed for 2015 + cars down to 9.0 with functioning airbags (as I recall). How many heavy weight cars go in the 8's? There are some but let's be real here, the real reason for not having the class is not safety. I cannot tell you how many events I have been at where tech is nothing more than filling out the tech sheet.

Unholy707

5000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
T
Those are custom Carlin Fabrication brackets for Kirky seats. They are sized to fit the Hellcat floor points and sit under the seat. You can see that they are slotted for forward and aft adjustment. You need to drill the holes in the seat and brackets to bolt it down on top of the brackets. I have a set that have never been used. They were made for somebody else and are too short for me and were made for the larger 18” wide seat. The hight on these are not adjustable and this set would be best used for somebody 6’+ tall. That’s why I never used them. I wouldn’t be able to see out 😁. I will sell them for $150 plus shipping. If you want them…. I will take a return if they don’t work for you as long as you don’t drill holes and you cover the return shipping. I just don’t want to be out of pocket for a trial run. View attachment 131710
These Are literally perfect for me, I have the 18” seat. Sending a PM, thanks!

Hatermkr

1000 Posts Club
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
West bend
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 helldemon
The current NHRA rules state that a cage is not needed for 2015 + cars down to 9.0 with functioning airbags (as I recall). How many heavy weight cars go in the 8's? There are some but let's be real here, the real reason for not having the class is not safety. I cannot tell you how many events I have been at where tech is nothing more than filling out the tech sheet.
Also says must retain factory brakes other wise goes back to regular car rules. So cage needed at 9.99