Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Dash Blistering, Ugh...

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 PCP Redeye Challenger Widebody
While the sun's heat may exacerbate the problem, I believe it is a defect in manufacturing that is at issue, here.

Shouldn't happen, on an $80k ride, regardless.

Bob
Oh, no argument here!! Totally agree....lots of cars out there in the sun that handle the heat just fine. Shouldn't happen on any car really...

TraxMoe

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Heartland
State
NE
Country
United States
Vehicle
POS slasher
While the sun's heat may exacerbate the problem, I believe it is a defect in manufacturing that is at issue, here.

Shouldn't happen, on an $80k ride, regardless.

Bob
But, it's still the same dash out of a $30K car and nothing special about the one put in a $80K car

OP
Diboblo

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat!
Thread Starter #23
But, it's still the same dash out of a $30K car and nothing special about the one put in a $80K car
Exactly.

It shouldn't happen, at all.

I'd be $30k worth of upset, too. Trust me.

Bob

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Me too, but my dark ass tint helps I think. This is the first car I’ve ever had with the front fully tinted and love it
I wish I could do that here, but.......the police don't seem to take kindly to it.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
If dealer / dodge wants to they can pull any warranty.coverage that would apply bc you tried to fix it yourself. Not saying yours would, but be aware of that risk of you want to DIY it

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
When I was getting my car wrapped there was a Rolls Royce convertible getting wrapped also. On the back panel under the rear window, the area was completely covered in like a teak wood (looked like a boat deck). For some reason condensation, heat, or some combo builds in that area and completely ruined the wood. I mean it looked like it was outside 10 yrs in the weather. It's supposedly a known problem (for everyone who own RR convertibles. LOL). It cost like 15K to replace the panel. Took it to the dealer. Nope not covered, denied claim. So I guess it happens even on deep six figure cars. Sorry, not that any of this helps you. Just sharing.

Taxinator

Member ID
Reactions
City
SANTA CLARITA
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger SRT
I tried several adhesives, on my console bolsters, to no avail.

I was told FCA had serious issues, with their supplier, on early builds... and that they have switched suppliers. My console and door panel are doing fine.

This chit is truly irritating.

Bob
My 2017 Charger had horrible separation on all the doors and center console panels. Fortunately, I was still under the full warranty and they were all replaced at no cost. If I was paying out of pocket, then I would go with the newer leather version with the stitching...not a fan of the elephant skin look. Good luck!

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
When I was getting my car wrapped there was a Rolls Royce convertible getting wrapped also. On the back panel under the rear window, the area was completely covered in like a teak wood (looked like a boat deck). For some reason condensation, heat, or some combo builds in that area and completely ruined the wood. I mean it looked like it was outside 10 yrs in the weather. It's supposedly a known problem (for everyone who own RR convertibles. LOL). It cost like 15K to replace the panel. Took it to the dealer. Nope not covered, denied claim. So I guess it happens even on deep six figure cars. Sorry, not that any of this helps you. Just sharing.
On my Rolls convertibles when that happens i just pay for it with cash from my wallet and go on down the road. If they need to keep the car overnight I have the other chauffeur pick us up in the matching.

OP
Diboblo

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #30
Just a follow up...

SRT has opened a case, for my dash replacement. As soon as I am back in town, I will schedule a visit to the dealer and get this show on the road.

Stand by.

Bob

Prange

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
no longer in Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Charger Scat Pack
Last edited:

Taxinator

Member ID
Reactions
City
SANTA CLARITA
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger SRT
There's currently a Class-Action for the 2014-2021 Charger door panels: https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2020/chrysler-300-dodge-charger-door-panels-coming-off.shtml

Nothing on the dash cover.

I couldn't find anything on the Challengers.
With the exception of my dash, all door panels (4) and center console panels warped. I agree with everything said in the complaint. It took forever to get the parts and probably saved FCA a second round of replacements (for my Charger). Had they replaced them promptly, the new set may have warped before my warranty was up. This is my first summer with the new panels...we shall see.

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
With the exception of my dash, all door panels (4) and center console panels warped. I agree with everything said in the complaint. It took forever to get the parts and probably saved FCA a second round of replacements (for my Charger). Had they replaced them promptly, the new set may have warped before my warranty was up. This is my first summer with the new panels...we shall see.
Damn...nothing on my 2018 as of yet. Though, mine is garaged at home and my office parking has shade to at least 10:30 a.m. All my windows (windshield included) have Ceramic tint. Definitely something to look out for.

covidcommander

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clementon
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger
Tinted, all around.

Can't tint the windshield, in cali :(

Bob
Here either but many like me do

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
Here either but many like me do
I did a clear ceramic tint of windshield. Makes huge difference with heat and glare.

OP
Diboblo

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #36
I did a clear ceramic tint of windshield. Makes huge difference with heat and glare.
Please pm more info, on that.

Bob

OP
Diboblo

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #37
Met with the dealer, today.

Sent dash cost and availability to SRT.

Spoke with SRT. Should have an answer, by Thursday, whether they will cover the repair, or not.

Fingers crossed.

Stand by.

Bob

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
The window tint I used was ceramic and not nearly as dark as on the my old SC GTO. However it was just as effective, or more so, at keeping heat and damaging UV out. I'm not into all this black out "I'm mysterious! whoooHOOOOO" bullshit myself, so that was exactly what I was after.

OP
Diboblo

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #39
SRT confirmed they received the info they needed, from the dealership. They said they'll escalate the case to national and get back with me, next week.

So far, they're on point, with all of their communication.

Fingers crossed.

Stand by.

Bob

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID