Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Challenger hellcat engine noise

x21bravo

U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
montrose
State
IA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Hi, I have a 2017 challenger hellcat and have a tick coming from the engine. Its there at idle and gets a little louder with throttle and alot louder upon letting off. I have used a stethoscope and have no noise on anything but the oil pan and the manifolds. No CEL’s. I am taking a oil sample tomorrow and sending off but wanted to hear opinions on what it could be.
thanks

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Hi, I have a 2017 challenger hellcat and have a tick coming from the engine. Its there at idle and gets a little louder with throttle and alot louder upon letting off. I have used a stethoscope and have no noise on anything but the oil pan and the manifolds. No CEL’s. I am taking a oil sample tomorrow and sending off but wanted to hear opinions on what it could be.
thanks
That could be anything...find a reputable dealer...

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
A lifter stuck. It's snot a knock but a tick. Like da 1 you get on ya when you go #2 in da woods in a chicker busch. Knot like da 1s you get frum da orental message parloor or youz so called sister if frum Ky. A tick, tick, tick. A flatened out lifter or ya 13 year old girl friend. After she kisses her so called cousin. Yea tat.

TraxMoe

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Heartland
State
NE
Country
United States
Vehicle
POS slasher
sounds like it could be a broken rocker arm, bent push rod, colapsed lifter, failed lifter. Does it sound like it has a miss also ?

Bobo

2000 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fremont
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Dodge Challenger Super Stock
I just lost a lobe on my cam in my 5.7L hemi 2013 Ram and that is exactly what it sounds like. I am still driving it 45 miles each way to work but am babying it until my parts get here then it's a week off work to replace cam and hopefully relax for a few days after:(;)

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Relax?? If tat critter is that noisey,, turn da sounds up.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
My Scat Pack had a broken rocker arm, I remember it broke while I was driving it, lightly at the time, but took it to the dealer, they didn't even check it out much after confirming the miss. They thought it was a broken wrist pin in the piston. They ordered a brand new engine from the engine factory as a warranty replacement. When the day came to finally swap out the whole motor, they started to tear down the engine, found the broken rocker arm right away, replaced it quick and engine was fine thereafter LOL

OP
X

x21bravo

U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
montrose
State
IA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. Ill check them out.

OP
X

x21bravo

U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
montrose
State
IA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #9
sounds like it could be a broken rocker arm, bent push rod, colapsed lifter, failed lifter. Does it sound like it has a miss also ?
all of this would be visible by removing the heads correct? Wouldnt I be able to hear it through the heads? Thank you for your time

45-70govt

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ghetto
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Only have to pull the valve cover to investigate a broken rocker, bent pushrod, or collapsed lifter. The heads can stay put.

OP
X

x21bravo

U.S. Army Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
montrose
State
IA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #11
Only have to pull the valve cover to investigate a broken rocker, bent pushrod, or collapsed lifter. The heads can stay put.
Ok thank you

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
(2) Trackhawks, RS3 Swapped Golf R, Turbo Mustang.
Its just a lifter. Easy peasy.....

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
Exhaust header leak. I had one, sounded just like a lifter tap, would go away when car warmed up, could not see it until manifold was removed. #2 cylinder top front. Fixed leak no more tap tap tap.