Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Best all around tire?

Kwalski

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
SALISBURY
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Love it, I have my original set of PZ4 PZeros soon to be mounted back on the OE 11" rims to be backup for rain track days and taking the car "on the road". My "show" chrome and regular street set has the PS4S's, Yep, loved the article @Kwalski! Could not have said it better.

OP
Jungle Cat

Jungle Cat

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dracut
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #23
Both those Michelin’s and Continentals sound like the best all around.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Without a doubt....... Pos-A-Traction Torque Twisters baby! Yeah....everybody had these back in the day :)

pos o trac.jpg

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
Here is a good article that compares some of the top tier tires.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=248
I find it hilarious the number of HC owners who immediately and unjustly crap on the P Zeros; 99% of the time it is a driver issue. I know I was stoked to get the Summer P Zeros put on my build for no cost. We are just a few months away from autocross season to see how they fair in a real application.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Port orchard
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 redeye
If you live in a wet climate that gets colder than 50 degrees the ps4s are scary. I have them and they suck in the wet and 50 degrees. I did have a chance to drive in the dry one day and about 58 degrees and the traction was incredible. Amazing how soft they get with just a bit of heat. On a 50 degree day they feel like plastic tires on a big wheel.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
I find it hilarious the number of HC owners who immediately and unjustly crap on the P Zeros; 99% of the time it is a driver issue. I know I was stoked to get the Summer P Zeros put on my build for no cost. We are just a few months away from autocross season to see how they fair in a real application.
I thought the PZ4's were not bad. They are brand new and I am going to remount them on the OEM wheels after I burn thru the set of R888R's I have mounted. If we have a track rainy day, they will be the ticket. If I want to drive low key on the road? Good stuff IMO too.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
If you live in a wet climate that gets colder than 50 degrees the ps4s are scary. I have them and they suck in the wet and 50 degrees. I did have a chance to drive in the dry one day and about 58 degrees and the traction was incredible. Amazing how soft they get with just a bit of heat. On a 50 degree day they feel like plastic tires on a big wheel.
I will agree. The Michelin tires seem to be just a bit more resistant to the temps btw say 35-50. Plus I am working with bigger. Wonder how the larger sizes of the PZero may work? Some pretty expensive but a lot lighter cars wear them.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Port orchard
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 redeye
I will agree. The Michelin tires seem to be just a bit more resistant to the temps btw say 35-50. Plus I am working with bigger. Wonder how the larger sizes of the PZero may work? Some pretty expensive but a lot lighter cars wear them.
The p zero had really good traction in the rain imo. I literally had to learn how to drive the car again with the Michelin tire. But boy get some heat in them and they hook.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
The p zero had really good traction in the rain imo. I literally had to learn how to drive the car again with the Michelin tire. But boy get some heat in them and they hook.
I am going to use them, tires are expensive, and tracks have appetites for rubber.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
I thought the PZ4's were not bad. They are brand new and I am going to remount them on the OEM wheels after I burn thru the set of R888R's I have mounted. If we have a track rainy day, they will be the ticket. If I want to drive low key on the road? Good stuff IMO too.
In my club we are limited to a 200 tread wear rating if I want to stay in my class; and a huge reclassification happens with spec racing tires. The factory P Zeros summer tires are a 280 TWR so that is a good baseline to see how well they perform before considering replacements. I can go up to a 325mm (20mm over stock) without penalty. But, I am more keen on mounted section width, weight and getting as close to 200 TWR as possible.

Also, autocross is run rain or shine... so water shedding is paramount (especially if the weather changes on a whim).

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
In my club we are limited to a 200 tread wear rating if I want to stay in my class; and a huge reclassification happens with spec racing tires. The factory P Zeros summer tires are a 280 TWR so that is a good baseline to see how well they perform before considering replacements. I can go up to a 325mm (20mm over stock) without penalty. But, I am more keen on mounted section width, weight and getting as close to 200 TWR as possible.

Also, autocross is run rain or shine... so water shedding is paramount (especially if the weather changes on a whim).
So, do you guys show up with rain tires?

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
So, do you guys show up with rain tires?
Most folks don't. However the guys running unlimited will show up with options. So a multifunctional tire is best for the average Joe.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
You ever see a guy in a old modified 300c SRT up there? I remember on the 300C Forum he did it well somewhere up in Canada in an organized league of something like you describe.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
You ever see a guy in a old modified 300c SRT up there? I remember on the 300C Forum he did it well somewhere up in Canada in an organized league of something like you describe.
Hmmm... no - that's news to me. When I was in living in Toronto and racing with the local F-body (Camaro/Firebird) club (because they'd set courses that fit larger cars) one member did occasionally race an SRT8 Magnum. That was a sight to see. Much like drag racing, there is a wide spectrum of driver talent out there in autocross and the driver mod tends to be the defining factor not the car (Hell, I've been out run by a stock Yaris on a tire).

Most people don't realize that these cars underwent a massive suspension revision in 2015, and how much it contributed to serious gains in handling and suspension dynamics. They just see the dumpy '08-14 cars out there still. I think I am going to surprise some people this Summer.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hmmm... no - that's news to me. When I was in living in Toronto and racing with the local F-body (Camaro/Firebird) club (because they'd set courses that fit larger cars) one member did occasionally race an SRT8 Magnum. That was a sight to see. Much like drag racing, there is a wide spectrum of driver talent out there in autocross and the driver mod tends to be the defining factor not the car (Hell, I've been out run by a stock Yaris on a tire).

Most people don't realize that these cars underwent a massive suspension revision in 2015, and how much it contributed to serious gains in handling and suspension dynamics. They just see the dumpy '08-14 cars out there still. I think I am going to surprise some people this Summer.
True about the driver mods. Hope we both have safe and good results this year.

NYCSRTATE

Member ID
Reactions
City
NYC
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
Charger Hellcat
Surprisingly happy with the Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact tires and I was a huge Michelin fan.

kgrencer

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ridgefield
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 WBRE F8 Green
I'm surprised no one is suggesting Toyo's. I know you don't want DR, and the Toyo R888 is a great middle ground. If wet weather isn't a concern, jumping up to an R88R is also a great option!

Shovel

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Tampa
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Hellcat Charger
My OEM all seasons were a joke in any condition. Running PS4S now. 265/40 on OEM fronts and 305/35 on 11s in rear. I wanted to try the Continental Extremes but they didn't come in this size combo.

Purerock105

1000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Reno
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
16' Corvette Z06, 17' Shelby GT350, 17' Raptor