Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Automatic Shutoff if Overheating

MSBallard

U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
City
Gainesville
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger 392
We have a 2018 392 Charger. Will the car automatically ‘shut off’ if it the temp gets to high? A strange issue today, one of the two fans shattered while the car was running. Told my wife to drive it a shop that was close. She was ‘engine’ is hot light, a beeping tone, etc while she drove the 10 minutes to the shop. Am guessing the other fan was still working, just couldn’t keep up. My only concern would be that the car ran too hot, for too long. Just curious if these cars have a computer safety feature that shuts the car down before significant engine damage is done.

Hunter

9000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Not familiar with the charger, but there are many taxi drivers on this site that might have info for you.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Yo Hunta,, youz bee keepun Hickster hours. MS is on adiffrunt time zone dan wa. On dis auto dare is a blow off tat will relieve pressure instdad of blowen youall's heads. If 2 hotster it will knock loudly befoe blowen da heads off. Dat is whize youz don't have aluminized heads. Day will warp. Den heads, block ed, pump. Will bee fer da scrap yard. I have dun it on both wayz. Ass fer a dummy lite?? I do snot no. Butt youz shuld beez ok. Wait till da block heads type inster.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I don't think so.

.02 only

Last edited:

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
Nope, will run till it locks up and stops, that’s about it. Hopefully it did not get too hot. If it was still full of coolant and didnt boil over and make a steamy mess it’s probably OK.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Bullish. Yo a persun of sew few wurds and sembulls. Now, what waz dat 2 mean? I nam a pursun of alut of sumtin, mostly BS, buttster sum peoples can deesifer dem. Due 2 da fact dat the cah didn't blow a head gasket, youz bee okays.

OP
M

MSBallard

U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
City
Gainesville
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger 392
Thread Starter #7
Had only a very minor coolant leak, no steam, etc. They’re still diagnosing. Pieces of the fan may have punctured radiator. She ran it maybe 10 minutes after ‘Hot Engine’ notification hit the screen where the Speedo is. Luckily she was super close to a shop we use.