Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

4x4 2020 Ram/Tundra/Tacoma

OP
Confuzed1

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 PCP Redeye Challenger Widebody
Thread Starter #41
Congrats and I have owned 4 Tundras over the last 14 years. Show some pics and you did good.
Thanks CC. Seems like the Tundras have gotten bigger somehow over the years....or its just the off road package that makes it seem big.
Tundra is severely outdated, with that being said this is a good and bad thing.

Pro's
Reliability
No new generation to work out kinks
N/a engine with tried and true formula for longevity

Cons
No new tech
Outdated interior
Gas mileage

Looks and all that are all purely opinion, i think the new chevy and gm trucks look awful but gm fans might like them, etc etc

At the end of the day you followed posters advice as well as using your own brain to decide what you wanted to drive by testing them all out, you don't have to justify anything but it is cool to see feedback for others who might be in the same situation.
Thx 2pac! While doing research online, I read the same thing, which is why I brought up the interior. They've actually put some newer tech in them lately I think.....but not everything you could get in other brands/models. And as far as gas mileage goes, the all drink gas. Just some more than others. One thing I wish Toyota would do is put a 8 speed trans in the trucks instead of a 6 speed. Should help with mileage I'd think.
I think the salesman didn't know what he was talking about. The Rams have had coils since '09, I think, in the 1500s, and since at least '14 in the 2500s. And both can be had with air suspension.

But it sounds like you drove a 1500, since the Gen 5 isn't out yet in the 2500/3500 line.
Yes, I test drove the 1500 with a "Built to Serve" package. You do get a good "Bang for the buck" it seems with those. I didn't know they changed to rear coil springs prior to the 20-21 models! The reliability of the air suspension option I question....but its a neat option for sure! Ram offers the most options out there! But I found that its hard to find extended cab trucks....they (dealers and all makes) are all pushing crew cab models with the shorter bed. I wanted the 6' bed...I just think its more useful. I did look at a couple of the 2500 models....they only had one '20 model crew cab, and 2 '19 standard cabs with 8' beds on the lot. I really like them, but honestly they are more truck than I was looking for. They're BIG trucks!!

I took a couple quick pics of the Tundra. Hopefully I don't get banned! lol

Attachments

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
I took a couple quick pics of the Tundra. Hopefully I don't get banned! lol[/QUOTE]

You will be all right I mean heck @1971demon man posted a picture of himself and he’s still here:geek:

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
power rear sliding window.....
Congrats! I think the Tundras are the best looking (exterior) of most of the trucks as well. Sounds weird, but I really missed having the entire rear window rolling down when I bought my Ram.

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
Thanks CC. Seems like the Tundras have gotten bigger somehow over the years....or its just the off road package that makes it seem big.

Thx 2pac! While doing research online, I read the same thing, which is why I brought up the interior. They've actually put some newer tech in them lately I think.....but not everything you could get in other brands/models. And as far as gas mileage goes, the all drink gas. Just some more than others. One thing I wish Toyota would do is put a 8 speed trans in the trucks instead of a 6 speed. Should help with mileage I'd think.

Yes, I test drove the 1500 with a "Built to Serve" package. You do get a good "Bang for the buck" it seems with those. I didn't know they changed to rear coil springs prior to the 20-21 models! The reliability of the air suspension option I question....but its a neat option for sure! Ram offers the most options out there! But I found that its hard to find extended cab trucks....they (dealers and all makes) are all pushing crew cab models with the shorter bed. I wanted the 6' bed...I just think its more useful. I did look at a couple of the 2500 models....they only had one '20 model crew cab, and 2 '19 standard cabs with 8' beds on the lot. I really like them, but honestly they are more truck than I was looking for. They're BIG trucks!!

I find the hellcat and the e55 to be the worst offenders since they are essentially quick shifting gas guzzling motors.

The f150s get 18 city and cruising highway I have gotten as high as 25. This all goes down the drain anyway when you tow.

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
And as far as gas mileage goes, the all drink gas. Just some more than others. One thing I wish Toyota would do is put a 8 speed trans in the trucks instead of a 6 speed. Should help with mileage I'd think.
l
This was another big shock for me going from the Tundra to the Ram. The Tundra on trips cruising at 75 MPH average like 15.5 mpg. The Ram with the 5.7 and A8 under the same conditions would do 24-25 mph if I remember correctly (maybe 23?). Was fairly significant difference but nobody buys trucks for gas mileage.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
The f150s get 18 city and cruising highway I have gotten as high as 25. This all goes down the drain anyway when you tow.
No kidding! I towed with an Ecoboost F-150 once, and got worse mileage than with my 5.7 Ram 2500, towing the same trailer, over the same 2,000-mile route.

And my Ram 1500's mileage sucks, even with an empty flatbed trailer. But that's definitely not the main reason I don't tow with it.

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
No kidding! I towed with an Ecoboost F-150 once, and got worse mileage than with my 5.7 Ram 2500, towing the same trailer, over the same 2,000-mile route.

And my Ram 1500's mileage sucks, even with an empty flatbed trailer. But that's definitely not the main reason I don't tow with it.
The turbo's really shine at high elevations but yeah they take a dump when it comes to mpg.

OP
Confuzed1

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #48
Congrats! I think the Tundras are the best looking (exterior) of most of the trucks as well. Sounds weird, but I really missed having the entire rear window rolling down when I bought my Ram.
Ram still has that as an option. But they also consider rear inner wheel well liners as an option.....and you pay 195 dollars to have actual wheel well liners that should come with it for free....they'll be considering "Steering Wheel" as an option soon....:LOL:

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
Ram still has that as an option. But they also consider rear inner wheel well liners as an option.....and you pay 195 dollars to have actual wheel well liners that should come with it for free....they'll be considering "Steering Wheel" as an option soon....:LOL:
Don't look so far, power convenience group is an option for hellcats.

They snuck this on dealers back in 2017 just to make an extra few $$.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat

You will be all right I mean heck @1971demon man posted a picture of himself and he’s still here:geek:[/QUOTE]
Hell...that's cause I'm a lot better lookin than you..;);););)

OP
Confuzed1

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #51
Don't look so far, power convenience group is an option for hellcats.

They snuck this on dealers back in 2017 just to make an extra few $$.
Very true! I got it standard on my '15 Hellcat. -I found out you need to make sure the rain sensitive wipers are OFF when you clean your window at the gas station! Pretty hard to squeegee the windshield when the wipers start running on you!!!! :LOL:

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Congrats on the Tundra. Cannot go wrong with a Toyota, and they hold value as well as any brand out there period. While it may not have every tech feature, you certainly don't feel like they are lacking anything when you are in them. I mean they are loaded.
I agree Toyotas look good, but not overly good, just going for middle ground...nothing obnoxious like I see with all the other brands now. Ford is trying way too hard. Dodges look pretty good overall, but I do not like the newest grilles, the new Chevys look so bad I feel bad pointing it out. I guess there's new Nissans too, does anyone even buy those?
@2pac you are right the turbos are good up here in the mountains. I've tried to like Fords overall over the years, and they do make a good product and have a loyal following. Been in and driven many Mustangs. They are good, I just don't love them.

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
Congrats on the Tundra. Cannot go wrong with a Toyota, and they hold value as well as any brand out there period. While it may not have every tech feature, you certainly don't feel like they are lacking anything when you are in them. I mean they are loaded.
I agree Toyotas look good, but not overly good, just going for middle ground...nothing obnoxious like I see with all the other brands now. Ford is trying way too hard. Dodges look pretty good overall, but I do not like the newest grilles, the new Chevys look so bad I feel bad pointing it out. I guess there's new Nissans too, does anyone even buy those?
@2pac you are right the turbos are good up here in the mountains. I've tried to like Fords overall over the years, and they do make a good product and have a loyal following. Been in and driven many Mustangs. They are good, I just don't love them.
I guess it grows on you, we always had the Platinum with all the gadgets and whatnot, I particularly liked the brushed aluminum trim, massaging seats, etc etc

Back when we got our first 2016 Platinum no other truck on the market had adaptive cruise, lane keep assist, 360 cameras, panoramic roof, massaging seats, rear heated seats and rear vents, etc etc

So we have stayed ford because of continuity and the fact that no other truck has yet to offer massaging seats, next generation for 2021 will be the first to offer fully flat front seats to sleep on, level 2 hands free driving where the vehicle drives for you on highways completely, and some other new bits.

As far as features go ford usually leads the way.

With that being said looks are subjective, I think most can agree the new gm twins don't look very attractive but at the end of the day it's a utilitarian vehicle, I think the tundra looks neither great nor bad, I gave my opinion on the gm twins, ford is an acquired taste but looks good.. not great but it looks alright. The ram is in the same category.. looks good but not great, nissan titan = awful as well, I think that's it.

The only two trucks I would use year around would probably be a raptor or the trx, most every other truck like the Platinum I drive now would be a wet vehicle, going through heavy traffic vehicle or to tow/haul anything.

That's just my 2 cents, even as trucks get super luxurious at the end of the day it's just a truck still.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Really? The Ram is WAY better looking!

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
20131221_123902.jpg

This was my 2014 and my favorite exterior look.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
I have owned every truck and brand over the last 20 plus years and can tell you hands down no for the TACOMA they suck to the MAX. And trust me on that to the point I Sold my 2017 Tacoma Pro and 2019 Tacoma Pro for the Ford Rangers. And if your not a Ford guy nor Chevy Guy than Ram 1500 is the winner and the better tow of the Chevy and Tacoma. Ford makes a damn nice truck these days but the Ram is awesome as well.
View attachment 25598 View attachment 25599 View attachment 25600 View attachment 25601 View attachment 25602 View attachment 25603 View attachment 25604 View attachment 25605 View attachment 25606
Totally off discussion, but I have to say I love making fun of TRD vehicles. Pull up next to them and ask why it says "turd" on the side of the car.

480503758.gif

OP
Confuzed1

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #57
Last edited:

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
Totally off discussion, but I have to say I love making fun of TRD vehicles. Pull up next to them and ask why it says "turd" on the side of the car.
I know what you mean, biggest problem is that badge is SO over-played. Everyone just adds one to every Toyota truck ever! Somehow every Toyota is a TRD edition. I was actually going to have some made that just say "TRD/sticker" and drive around with that on my truck for a little while LOL

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
I know what you mean, biggest problem is that badge is SO over-played. Everyone just adds one to every Toyota truck ever! Somehow every Toyota is a TRD edition. I was actually going to have some made that just say "TRD/sticker" and drive around with that on my truck for a little while LOL
The ultimate troll right here. @Magnified
A v8 800 horsepower camry 🙈🙊
las-vegas-nevada-usa-5th-november-2014-toyota-camry-dragster-on-display-EA2NAP.jpg

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States