Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

426 Helephant engine upgrade

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hellcat, Demon, Trackhawk and project X,
I forgot to say, it is nice to see AJ posting here.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
The Hellephant can’t really be compared to a Redeye motor... There is more separating the HE from the RE than the RE from a HC.

The 3.0L blower, aluminum block, hand built, etc... if you were even considering the Hellephant motor, the $30k doesn’t scare you. In the scheme of things, I think it’s worth $10k on top of an RE motor for cool factor, oh, and then all of the actual parts that make it special.
If you want to save money just don’t do anything... lol

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
It's been well known pulling timing out for launching purposes since the 6.1 Hemis to go fast!
I had a KB 4.2 Build and that's what Tim did back then to launch my "Pink" car! We had a 1.3x for a 60 ft back then.
We didnt have 262 or 309 gears and it was all about putting the right mods together and having the Experienced Tuner to lay the power to the ground!
Certain things will not cross over part wise but the Smart Hemi Tuners who are full of knowledge will do their best to help with the combo of parts and Tuning to go Fassst!

Linda [burnout]

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
The Hellephant can’t really be compared to a Redeye motor... There is more separating the HE from the RE than the RE from a HC.

The 3.0L blower, aluminum block, hand built, etc... if you were even considering the Hellephant motor, the $30k doesn’t scare you. In the scheme of things, I think it’s worth $10k on top of an RE motor for cool factor, oh, and then all of the actual parts that make it special.
If you want to save money just don’t do anything... lol
Jack,

Performance wise they are relatively close. A RE motor is good for somewhere around 950 HP on E85. The Hellphant is probably around 1,100 on E85 with the right pulley (this is speculation as I do not think anyone has had it on a dyno with different pulleys). It depends on what the application is, the Hellephant comes with a smaller upper pulley (I think it is a 3.10 and an ATI lower).

There are 426 builds based on the BGE block that make much more HP than the Hellephant for less or the same money.

MiHiHemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Parker
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT 426
I just paid $7K for this alum. Big Gas Helephant block to build on. I know, you guys from that other forum may have seen this already :)

IMG_0115.jpeg

Last edited:

Billet Train

Founding Member
Firefighter
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Toledo
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Sharing a building with True-Street I am doing their tuning as well as my own day to day operations. I work with quite a few tuners helping with special projects I try to keep an open door policy. As far as the Hellephant goes my opinion is that with the 8 speed the extra torque is much tougher to manage. It has been my experience that with the 6.2 and 7.0 using the same blower the net gain is really in TQ not peak power. This tq increase with the 8 speed is challenging to try to put down with the steep 1st gear and even a bigger challenge for someone who wants to retain the stock differential.
Hope this helps
AJ
Welcome aboard AJ!!!!

zhc

Founding Member
Premium Account
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Hellcat
Just pull the timing out of it down low to reduce the torque. Racers adjust the tune to meet the track/street conditions. If you watch Street Outlaws they are constantly pulling timing to get the car to hook. For this reason (IMO) the 2.62 is the better choice than the 3.09. I run the 2.62 case.
There's only so much timing that you can pull before you hit a floor... Referring specifically to built high boost PD strokers. AJ knows what's up.

cole3986

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lawrenceville
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
There's only so much timing that you can pull before you hit a floor... Referring specifically to built high boost PD strokers. AJ knows what's up.
That is completely wrong, I pull timing all the time based on track conditions, so does the whole world. If the street can only handle a 1,500 HP and the motor makes 3,500 HP, guess what? timing is pulled to match the road conditions. Timing can be pulled from positive to negative timing, there is no limit other than the car will not run.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
Jack,
Performance wise they are relatively close. A RE motor is good for somewhere around 950 HP on E85. The Hellphant is probably around 1,100 on E85 with the right pulley (this is speculation as I do not think anyone has had it on a dyno with different pulleys). It depends on what the application is, the Hellephant comes with a smaller upper pulley (I think it is a 3.10 and an ATI lower).
There are 426 builds based on the BGE block that make much more HP than the Hellephant for less or the same money.
Out of the box performance isn't even comparable. Once we start modding, the Hellephant will always end up on top. Superior parts, more cubic inches, more blower... nothing that would give the RE a leg up.

If he goes with a BGE, he is dealing with a custom build... and we've seen a lot of those fail miserably.

I'm not saying there isn't 100 ways to skin this 'Cat, just that the Hellephant would be the coolest.

OP
Lord Hellcat

Lord Hellcat

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Barking
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat
Thread Starter #30
I did not realize that the Hellephant motor was an aluminium block. That will pull some weight out of the front end.
I have thought about selling the 15 and going for a Redeye or waiting to see what future holds in 2020 / 2021 but I prefer the narrow bodied look. I prefer the original Hellcat hood although the Redeye hood has grown on me. So to spend a big chunk of change on a new version Challenger does not make a lot of sense to me. Okay the Redeye engine has a lot of engine internal upgrades and you get apple car play. I maybe over simplifying the basic differences. But its not that different to a 2015. I guess $40,000 with shipping cost, labor to remove and install including possible mods to get the exhaust to fit. Some tuning work, drive shaft and axles and some 426 hemi supercharged badges for the front fenders would probably get it all done.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
@Lord Hellcat - I think @FFBOS updated his uconnect/radio to give him those features... hopefully he will correct me if I'm wrong. May save you $40k for carplay :cool:
Also, yeah, it's aluminum. It's badass.

MiHiHemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Parker
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT 426
I did not realize that the Hellephant motor was an aluminium block. That will pull some weight out of the front end.
I have thought about selling the 15 and going for a Redeye or waiting to see what future holds in 2020 / 2021 but I prefer the narrow bodied look. I prefer the original Hellcat hood although the Redeye hood has grown on me. So to spend a big chunk of change on a new version Challenger does not make a lot of sense to me. Okay the Redeye engine has a lot of engine internal upgrades and you get apple car play. I maybe over simplifying the basic differences. But its not that different to a 2015. I guess $40,000 with shipping cost, labor to remove and install including possible mods to get the exhaust to fit. Some tuning work, drive shaft and axles and some 426 hemi supercharged badges for the front fenders would probably get it all done.
My builder says we will take around 130 lbs. off the front with the alum. block. Easily lifted the whole block off the ground myself. These blocks are almost impossible to get right now. FCA is limiting production to dedicated Hellephant builds and race teams. Notice the 4 bolt mains.

Last edited: