Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

3.8 whipple

oilburner

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
coboconk
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
A 3.0? Be curious to know what Rev they’re on now. Please post picture of it, it’s on the back edge on top by rotor discharge. Last one I saw was a Rev J.
is this it?

Attachments

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
It is towards the back may have been on the inside. Will be a letter mine was J

oilburner

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
coboconk
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
It is towards the back may have been on the inside. Will be a letter mine was J
same here rev J

Attachments

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Even tho the revision is showing the same I will say I have not really been hearing of issues since September - October

RGPIII

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Even tho the revision is showing the same I will say I have not really been hearing of issues since September - October
I'm keeping my fingers crossed the noise in mine doesn't get any louder. When i installed mine it had 0 noise at all. over the last few months its started to make the slight rattling at idle.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
I'm keeping my fingers crossed the noise in mine doesn't get any louder. When i installed mine it had 0 noise at all. over the last few months its started to make the slight rattling at idle.
When did you receive it?

RGPIII

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
July 28th 2022. mine is rev. J
Even tho same revision. After September October. They seem to be better. I’m not a whipple dealer or expect on what they are doing or changing. So I can’t say for sure there was a change but I think there was

RGPIII

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Even tho same revision. After September October. They seem to be better. I’m not a whipple dealer or expect on what they are doing or changing. So I can’t say for sure there was a change but I think there was
ill keep monitoring mine, i have some races coming up in march and April. so that will really tell me if its getting any worse.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
There was a change. Significant increase in performance. We saw that firsthand. I don’t think they advertise updates/improvements as everybody with the proceeding units would feel like they got jipped and want a free upgrade. They are always working on the next best thing behind the curtain.

Last edited:

RGPIII

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
There was a change. Significant increase in performance. We saw that firsthand. I don’t think they advertise updates/improvements as everybody with the proceeding units would feel like they got jipped and want a free upgrade. They are always working on the next best thing behind the curtain.
Well out of curiosity I sent a video of my engine idling to Whipple and after a short discussion, it is off and on its way back to them for repairs. They were extremely quick to respond and have been awesome to deal with.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Well out of curiosity I sent a video of my engine idling to Whipple and after a short discussion, it is off and on its way back to them for repairs. They were extremely quick to respond and have been awesome to deal with.
That's awesome to hear!! Good job whipple with the support

RGPIII

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bridgeville
State
DE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Now how to get them to send back a 3.8 in its place? :devilish::devilish::devilish::ROFLMAO: ill be the guine pig that puts a 3.8 on a stock bottom end!

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Now how to get them to send back a 3.8 in its place? :devilish::devilish::devilish::ROFLMAO: ill be the guine pig that puts a 3.8 on a stock bottom end!
I’d be curious in the experiment of will a head lift or will a rod fly first experiment 🤣

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Really sucks to buy something that within months starts to have issues. I'm expecting mine to be no different and start making noise. Just hope the fix actually fixes it

Jroc

Premium Account
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Chilliwack
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
@Marc W, I have a 3.8 on the way and can't find an oil spec for it. Is it just the SCOIL-155 or SCOIL-200 or is there a different spec for this unit?

Also, does anyone have any idea on pulley sizes and corresponding boost on this unit? I'm putting it on a stock bottom end 6.2 with long tubes and an ATI 10% overdrive balancer and don't want the stock internals to join Space X. I probably want to be around 17-18 pounds on the street on 93 and 21 ish at the track on Q16. It's coming with a 3.75 pulley on it, and I'm not sure if I should order a couple pulled sized up or go down for 21 psi. I see Marc W said that he was at 29 PSI on 401 cubes with the 3.125. I imagine a 4.25 or 4.375 will put me around the 21 PSI mark?

That also brings me to belt length, what length belts are you guys using with what pulleys on these?

I appreciate any info, I just want to try to have everything here for when the blower arrives so it's quick and easy to get up and running again.

oilburner

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
coboconk
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
@Marc W, I have a 3.8 on the way and can't find an oil spec for it. Is it just the SCOIL-155 or SCOIL-200 or is there a different spec for this unit?

Also, does anyone have any idea on pulley sizes and corresponding boost on this unit? I'm putting it on a stock bottom end 6.2 with long tubes and an ATI 10% overdrive balancer and don't want the stock internals to join Space X. I probably want to be around 17-18 pounds on the street on 93 and 21 ish at the track on Q16. It's coming with a 3.75 pulley on it, and I'm not sure if I should order a couple pulled sized up or go down for 21 psi. I see Marc W said that he was at 29 PSI on 401 cubes with the 3.125. I imagine a 4.25 or 4.375 will put me around the 21 PSI mark?

That also brings me to belt length, what length belts are you guys using with what pulleys on these?

I appreciate any info, I just want to try to have everything here for when the blower arrives so it's quick and easy to get up and running again.
welcome!! I just installed a 3.0 an the spec oil came with it. you show 2 cars which car gets the whipple?
that`s a lot of blower for stock bottom, good luck.

Jroc

Premium Account
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Chilliwack
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
welcome!! I just installed a 3.0 an the spec oil came with it. you show 2 cars which car gets the whipple?
that`s a lot of blower for stock bottom, good luck.
Thank you, the 2015 is getting the Whipple as my 4.5 ate a bolt and seized up.

It's a lot for the stock bottom end for sure, and I've been planning on building a 411 or 426 for the car over the winter. With that in mind I wanted to replace the previous blower with something I can grow into without replacing again in the future.

oilburner

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
coboconk
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thank you, the 2015 is getting the Whipple as my 4.5 ate a bolt and seized up.

It's a lot for the stock bottom end for sure, and I've been planning on building a 411 or 426 for the car over the winter. With that in mind I wanted to replace the previous blower with something I can grow into without replacing again in the future.
I built a 411 using my stock block ( mistake) nothing wrong with my stock bottom end an should of moth balled. should of started with new block,
installed 3.0 whipple an running 3.25 top an 10% lower an makes 19 lbs. had traction problems but still ran 153 trap speed. once traction sorted should be in the 8s. car picked up 5.5 mph going to the whipple from stock 2.4

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Interesting idea but at this point I think speculation is all I have to offer. The 3.8 is certainty capable of launching those internals into the ballistic diaper you’ll want to be using for experiment. The question is…. How much can you slow the monster down to work with the limits of the stock motor and have the blower still be efficient? I don’t know. I just saw that Whipple said they are targeting end of August for the production 3.8. I didn’t see the word guarantee with that so….. 😒. Whipple has stated the the 3.8 is for a increased displacement engine built to make power. I don’t know if you can believe it’s going Primetime in August but I think you should believe that it’s not for the stocker. The 3.0 is a spectacularly good blower. It’s been updated from its first release and is super efficient and reliable at this point. I don’t know what the retail price will be when the production 3.8 comes out but unless the stroker you are planning on includes heads and the high end internals you need to turn it up to full potential to get your money’s worth, the 3.0 would be the better choice.

Last edited: