Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Will 315s fit?

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
@DRAGRCR @Hpindy @fumanchu182 @vortecd

Thinking over my traction issues, I've been contemplating various solutions and one that keeps being mentioned is going to a 315/50/17 tire. I'm OK with the fender massaging that is likely required, but I don't know anyone running my same wheel.

Weld RT-S S71 17x10 6.7" back space and 30mm offset: https://www.weldwheels.com/weld-street-and-strip/rt-s-wheels/s71.html?pn=71HP7100W67A#

I'm also still on the 2.62 gear and don't really wanna change it to 3.09 which the taller tire might need?

Thoughts?

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
I believe it only requires pounding the ribs in the rear wells and heat gunning and reforming the plastic liner. Definitely doable though.

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
You wheel is very similar to the forgestar wheels so anyone with them should be able to help . The 3.09 is just my opinion due to the taller tire . You definitely don't have to change gears .
The 315 was a major step in traction .. but i did lose some 60 foot .

Sent from my Armor 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
I believe it only requires pounding the ribs in the rear wells and heat gunning and reforming the plastic liner. Definitely doable though.
Yes very mild

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #5
Well my problem is the 60' so if a 315 reduces that I'm not going the right direction. I need to find a set to borrow really.

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Well my problem is the 60' so if a 315 reduces that I'm not going the right direction. I need to find a set to borrow really.
It's one of those trade offs unfortunately. The bigger foot print of the 315 make a huge difference in traction but the taller tire hurts the over gear ratio . My previous consistent 60 foot was 1.35 with killer track prep .. with the 315's my best consistent 60 foot was 1.38 but the car launched hard every time . That's why i recommend the 3.09 gears to get the gear ratio back ..

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
3.09 + Big Ass Tire testing tomorrow, will update on 60’

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
315/50/17 on forgestar D5 beadlocks.

Taxicab with stock 2.62's.

At 1.5x I am nowhere near the times this setup is capable of even with stock 2.62's. The gear isn't exactly required. Some have found the 2.62 to be more reliable to them even...

I have more room than you do in the fenders and I had to pound all the usual spots flat, primer and coat them so no rust...them heat Mold the fender liner AND THE BOTTOM EDGE WHERE THEY PIN TO THE FLOOR SHIELDS. That was the primary point of contact for me. That rolled edge at the bottom where they pin together on the floor side. Had to create maybe a half inch in that spot so they don't catch at full droop (tire changes).

With the suspension loaded they clear by a mile.

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
@Speedy! You could also do what me and @16GoManGoHC2 did, longer studs + spacers. Would make for a good video.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
I just sent some where a message today seeing how long until id see the 315s. I have hooked on 305s but track prep has to be perfect.
I could take some out on take off but I’m trying for personal bests.
I was doing 115 in the 1/8th (track prep wasn’t good enough to do 1/4)
But my 60fts were 1.6. I only made 3 passes each time hoping prep would be better all 3 I ended up letting out and having to get back into it.
that was enough frustration I was done with the 305s.
I also did cradle lockouts. I think that may be another step you are missing.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
@jonx96 is looking at buying some 315's right now. He is still having traction issues and with the aad arms I'm not sure why. In my testing last year I came to the conclusion the 3.09's are right at a 10th. Simon said the same thing. I also found I had a little harder time hooking the Nittos at the track. I have already said I'm going back to the 2.62's. When I do change the pulley it will make it that much harder to hook.

Speedy try the 315's 1st and see what happens. I have the forgestar wheels which are also 30mm offset. Being they both are 10's they really should have made them 25mm offset Jon's wheels are 27mm offset and are 10.5".
I remember seeing a thread on making 315 fit on the site. I think depending on the track some have better luck then others hooking the 305's.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Looks like while I was posting Jon did before me:LOL:

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
One of the 1st mods for me was the 3.09s. Improved the car immensely and I run 305s. But I have lower power with a soft launch in the tune.

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #14
I think the power the car is making has become the problem. I've been working pretty methodically, started with stock, got it working and maxed out, then a tune, maxed that, then pulley/injectors needed a better/new tires, worked "ok", added AAD suspension bits and a good alignment and car was working. Went to E85 and now I can't hook worth a crap.

Mike dissuaded me from cradle lockouts. He said I'm at about the max he'd recommend for a car you drive on the street and keeping it comfortable. Everyone's tolerance for NVH is different though.

Longer studs and a spacer would be OK with me, but can you still run factory wheels and lug nuts with the longer studs? I don't think so and open lugs would look funny on the street setup I think.

I can continue playing with the launch power in the tune but if I'm gonna find out what this car can really do I either need to find a really well prepped track or find a way to launch on not so great prep I get at my local TNT day.

For racing, I'm in the 10.00 index and have tunes for that that seem to work on just about any surface thus far, so good to go there on the 305. It's the rest of the time where I'm trying to hit a PB I'm struggling.

I may try 315s just to "know" ya know :LOL:

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I think the power the car is making has become the problem. I've been working pretty methodically, started with stock, got it working and maxed out, then a tune, maxed that, then pulley/injectors needed a better/new tires, worked "ok", added AAD suspension bits and a good alignment and car was working. Went to E85 and now I can't hook worth a crap.

Mike dissuaded me from cradle lockouts. He said I'm at about the max he'd recommend for a car you drive on the street and keeping it comfortable. Everyone's tolerance for NVH is different though.

Longer studs and a spacer would be OK with me, but can you still run factory wheels and lug nuts with the longer studs? I don't think so and open lugs would look funny on the street setup I think.

I can continue playing with the launch power in the tune but if I'm gonna find out what this car can really do I either need to find a really well prepped track or find a way to launch on not so great prep I get at my local TNT day.

For racing, I'm in the 10.00 index and have tunes for that that seem to work on just about any surface thus far, so good to go there on the 305. It's the rest of the time where I'm trying to hit a PB I'm struggling.

How wide is the wheel that the 305s are on? A wider wheel will stretch the tire and increase your footprint. Just an idea.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
One of the 1st mods for me was the 3.09s. Improved the car immensely and I run 305s. But I have lower power with a soft launch in the tune.
I couldn't even tell I changed gears, car seemed the same to me and I drive my car every day

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat

Jon had Darrel Cox install the lockouts at the track. His are a little different, there is no piece on the top. Took him no time at all to install them. He told me he has a M6 scat pack and can't tell they are on there. So it still rides on the rubber but the lockout stop it from moving. I'm going to get some from him also so I will let you know. My 3.09 make noise which was one reason I'm switching back.

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I couldn't even tell I changed gears, car seemed the same to me and I drive my car every day
I had the diff brace and the gear installed at the same time. Went from 11.5-4 to 11.2-3 depending on conditions.

oilburner

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
coboconk
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
@DRAGRCR @Hpindy @fumanchu182 @vortecd

Thinking over my traction issues, I've been contemplating various solutions and one that keeps being mentioned is going to a 315/50/17 tire. I'm OK with the fender massaging that is likely required, but I don't know anyone running my same wheel.

Weld RT-S S71 17x10 6.7" back space and 30mm offset: https://www.weldwheels.com/weld-street-and-strip/rt-s-wheels/s71.html?pn=71HP7100W67A#

I'm also still on the 2.62 gear and don't really wanna change it to 3.09 which the taller tire might need?

Thoughts?
go all the way Speedy....315-60-15 pro radial with 309 gear an never look back.
no more blowing the tires off at the line. my first pass 60ft was 1.38 with this setup.

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle

I have a post where I measures lug depth on stock ones and my longer studs, they fit no problem. When I get to a PC I can dig it up.