Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Who said a stock 1320 couldn’t lift the front wheels?

OP
P

PaVaSteeler

Mole
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
VA
Country
United States
Thread Starter #81
Track closure is surely a bummer!
The weather is still pretty dry here so I am back to street jackassery.
Forgestar D5's on order with Hoosier's so next season should be fun!
The 1320's have inspired this fatbody to see what the 392 can do.
You're in for a fun surprise; I haven't reached the heights of what this car can do. I spent most of my 13 runs this past weekend with the tires spinning on the wheels...now I have to wait an entire winter wondering what I could have achieved until the tracks open up again!

Hellcat Cuda

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
S.F. East Bay
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Red Eye 1969 Hellcat Cuda
Dodge considers wheel/ tire changes within stock, so there’s that.
DODGE considers? Since when did Dodge become a sanctioning body? What races do they govern besides Woodward Ave. ? :unsure:

Hellcat Cuda

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
S.F. East Bay
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Ok, all you photochop experts must explain WHY you believe it to be photoshopped. Looks legit to me and are you really quibbling about tires. Sound like a bunch of Camaro owners in denial.
We can take the OP at his word, but the picture is all wonky and suspicious. The front of the car gets taller as you look toward the passenger side. The headlights are bigger on the passenger side. Something is weird about it. Don't know what it is and don't care.

Given the Demon suspension it has, I can understand some major lift in the front, probably enough to pull at least one tire. It would be appropriate that the left tire would come off the ground before the pass. side. These cars don't get real stiff until you install a cage and tie the sub-frames. Without that, it's fairly common to get twist and raise just one wheel on a fast car that has good traction.

Hellcat Cuda

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
S.F. East Bay
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
First: I did not say it was a hoax
Second: I am not claiming the owner modified the picture
Third: I am not claiming a fact - this is only my opinion.
I am not trying to detract from the thread or hate on anyone, I am only stating my honest opinion. I was willing to sit back and keep my mouth shut - not knowing it was the thread owners car, but I was asked to defend my opinion and that what I did - no more no less.
If I stepped on someones toes, I apologize - that was not my intent.
Dude, you were not being PC! You can't do that on a forum! Don't you know that? lolololol :)

Hellcat Cuda

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
S.F. East Bay
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
I was at ATCO yesterday too, and I saw the car firsthand, in the flesh. Other than a wheel/tire swap, there is nothing else done to this car. And since the 1320 comes from the factory with drag radials installed, that narrows it down to just really the front skinny swap. There are no mods to his engine, suspension, transmission, body, etc.
I'd like to continue this discussion all day but Bigfoot is coming over to pick me up in his new spaceship, then we're gonna run over and hang out with the Loch Ness monster before he closes the pool for the winter.
ST1320, how do you KNOW there are no mods to this car. I'm not a hater of these 1320s. I was knee deep in a Red Eye purchase / buy-back / re-order and had to give some serious thinking about cancelling and getting a 1320. I would LOVE to take a car like that and make it competitive in NHRA sanctioned "class" racing. Everything else to me is just bracket racing, but I digress. Somewhere I read somebody saying this ATCO race was a sanctioned event. By WHO (???) and with what credentials? How are the cars inspected and verified? Where are the rules or guidelines written?

I don't have a problem with the OP's claim. It's just that there are cheaters and liars in every aspect of racing. I was quite let down when I found out a favorite racer of mine cheats. He told me he does (had to do with the way his car is set up) and he said "everybody does". Said "you have to, to be competitive". He's no longer my favorite.

OP
P

PaVaSteeler

Mole
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
VA
Country
United States
Thread Starter #86
DODGE considers? Since when did Dodge become a sanctioning body? What races do they govern besides Woodward Ave. ? :unsure:
I'm not going to argue jurisdictional rights. On the Dodge Garage website, they differentiate between "stock" and "modified", and under "stock", wheels and tires are allowed to be different than what comes with the car, and remain "stock". My warranty won't be voided using "modified" wheels/tires that differ from the OEM, so under this interpretation, my car is still "stock".

Actually, if I read the NHRA rules correctly, the Challenger 1320, the HellCat, AND the Demon cannot be considered "stock" as they all come with 9.5" wheels...soooo, again, not going to argue who has supreme jurisdiction and control over what is considered "stock".

Roostking

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
mesa
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2011 SRT 8 Challenger 392 6M
OK - Why does it look photoshopped to me? Thats easy - look at the perspective on the front end (headlights, tires, grill opening, bumper, splitter, etc) if your looking at the car from the drivers side of the car the perspective should go opposite of what you see in the pic - all of the front end (and items listed above) should be larger in perspective on the drivers side than the passenger side - which this isn't (check out a picture elsewhere from the same general viewpoint) - this picture looks wrong. Thats what I am saying. It could be off slightly because its a picture of a picture, but not to me - thats why I say it looks photoshopped...
You do realize that this is a picture, of a picture and it was not taken head on. Is the left side of the picture frame is longer than the right side, as it looks like it is in this pic, No, so that explains the wierd sizing.

72 440 Barracuda

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Graham
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
Dude, you were not being PC! You can't do that on a forum! Don't you know that? lolololol :)
Yeah - I guess I have to work on that...

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Nice pass but no way a 1.6x 60' lifts the wheel. looks good tho.

Hellcat Cuda

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
S.F. East Bay
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
I'm not going to argue jurisdictional rights. On the Dodge Garage website, they differentiate between "stock" and "modified", and under "stock", wheels and tires are allowed to be different than what comes with the car, and remain "stock". My warranty won't be voided using "modified" wheels/tires that differ from the OEM, so under this interpretation, my car is still "stock".

Actually, if I read the NHRA rules correctly, the Challenger 1320, the HellCat, AND the Demon cannot be considered "stock" as they all come with 9.5" wheels...soooo, again, not going to argue who has supreme jurisdiction and control over what is considered "stock".
OK, well that makes some sense. FCA was referring to what could still be considered stock for warranty purposes. Yup, makes sense now. As long as they're not trying to change the rules of racing. NHRA, AHRA and IHRA (if still around) are the sanctioning gods in my view.

Well, IF you were to want to campaign your 1320 in NHRA "stock class" racing, I believe you would fit into B/SA (B/Stock-Automatic). FCA has to have a DOT approved tires on our cars to sell them for the street. However, you would be getting full on, wrinkle wall 9" slicks to be competitive. The wheel size can be wider or narrower. It's the tire width that they govern.

You would gladly follow the rules to get your car down into the 10s, where it would need to be in B Stock. Following the rules would allow you many modifications that are still considered "stock" for a race car. I think a 1320 will be competitive where they have fit the car into NHRA's class structure. You'd be running "heads up" against other B stockers.

Have fun with that car. I have a Red Eye that I can run fast, but not compete in anything but bracket racing. That's kind of boring for me. :(

OP
P

PaVaSteeler

Mole
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
VA
Country
United States
Thread Starter #91
Well Sparky, considering the fact that my fastest 60’ that day was 1.610, I guess there WAS a way a 1.6x 60’ lifted a wheel. What say you now?

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
ST1320, how do you KNOW there are no mods to this car. I'm not a hater of these 1320s. I was knee deep in a Red Eye purchase / buy-back / re-order and had to give some serious thinking about cancelling and getting a 1320. I would LOVE to take a car like that and make it competitive in NHRA sanctioned "class" racing. Everything else to me is just bracket racing, but I digress. Somewhere I read somebody saying this ATCO race was a sanctioned event. By WHO (???) and with what credentials? How are the cars inspected and verified? Where are the rules or guidelines written?

I don't have a problem with the OP's claim. It's just that there are cheaters and liars in every aspect of racing. I was quite let down when I found out a favorite racer of mine cheats. He told me he does (had to do with the way his car is set up) and he said "everybody does". Said "you have to, to be competitive". He's no longer my favorite.
Well...considering that the ATCO announcer made it a point of telling people at least 25 times during the day that they didn't care where you were from, or how they did it in whatever BF town you came from, that ATCO was an NHRA track and that they followed the NHRA rulebook, and if you didn't like it you didn't have to race and could go back to wherever you came from.....I'm going to consider that to be good enough that they were following the NHRA rules for this event.

Also ....considering that I also have a 1320 and was parked right next to the OP's car, and was given ample opportunity to look it over, under, and all around......there were no modifications that I could see or detect. No lopey cam. No Ford 9 inch stuffed under it. No aftermarket intake. No CAI. No aftermarket brakes. No power-adders. Stock exhaust. That's good enough for me.

hellno

3000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
memphis
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
I find it hard to believe at first but unless I could prove otherwise then I tip my hat to the op for an awesome launch , besides two other guys backed his claim and that’s good enough for me apparently them 1320 cars are bad ass I’ve raced cars in the 1/8 mile that pulled the wheels and I still beat them so I know it’s possible

Ronan978

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mount Sinai
State
NY
Country
United States
I don’t have a horse in this race, just a measly four door charger. But, I was there, there whole day, and the car lifted the wheel. Enough that I could get a fist under it !!! Yes, with a 1.6x 60’.
My theory is this....... even with the hellcat, without a stall, you’re getting outta the hole at what 2k ? How much tq do you think you’re putting down on green at 2k , I’m going to say not as much as a 1320, or any other hemi that is running a ~3k stall. Advantage: stall converter, the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
I don’t have a horse in this race, just a measly four door charger. But, I was there, there whole day, and the car lifted the wheel. Enough that I could get a fist under it !!! Yes, with a 1.6x 60’.
My theory is this....... even with the hellcat, without a stall, you’re getting outta the hole at what 2k ? How much tq do you think you’re putting down on green at 2k , I’m going to say not as much as a 1320, or any other hemi that is running a ~3k stall. Advantage: stall converter, the end.

You don't need a horse in this race...that Charger was doing just fine knocking off the competition round after round. :)

OP
P

PaVaSteeler

Mole
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
VA
Country
United States
Thread Starter #96
You don't need a horse in this race...that Charger was doing just fine knocking off the competition round after round. :)
Yes it was...but I was growing concerned hearing a constant whine from the passenger cabin...:D

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Yes it was...but I was growing concerned hearing a constant whine from the passenger cabin...:D
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
A 6.4 makes 375tq at 1500rpm and 400tq at 2000rpm and 450tq at 3000rpm
A Hellcat - 500tq at 1500rpm and 550tq at 2000rpm and 620tq at 3000rpm
A Demon - 550tq at 1500rpm and 600tq @ 2000rpm and 710tq at 3000rpm

So your theory is off by a few hundred foot pounds of torque. Also, most Hellcats are leaving the line at idle, and if not at idle, well below 2000rpm. The 1320? Also WAY BELOW 3000rpm, closer to 1500-2000rpm.
Is there an advantage to having the stall? Certainly. Same can be said for the suspension, and the rear gear. Also, the torque converter in the 1320 stalls at 2350, not 3000.

Since this isn't put to rest yet, the 1.6 60' isn't what we're used to seeing, but in a lower powered car, which is simply popping a wheelie and not riding one, it is completely possible. I already posted the video of a guy in a 1320, cutting a 1.6 60', and the front tire leaving the ground.

OP
P

PaVaSteeler

Mole
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
VA
Country
United States
Thread Starter #99

So your theory is off by a few hundred foot pounds of torque. Also, most Hellcats are leaving the line at idle, and if not at idle, well below 2000rpm. The 1320? Also WAY BELOW 3000rpm, closer to 1500-2000rpm.
Is there an advantage to having the stall? Certainly. Same can be said for the suspension, and the rear gear. Also, the torque converter in the 1320 stalls at 2350, not 3000.

Since this isn't put to rest yet, the 1.6 60' isn't what we're used to seeing, but in a lower powered car, which is simply popping a wheelie and not riding one, it is completely possible. I already posted the video of a guy in a 1320, cutting a 1.6 60', and the front tire leaving the ground.
Interestingly, I've achieved my best times (old DRs and new ones) launching with little or no load, (basically at idle), in my 1320.

Ronan978

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mount Sinai
State
NY
Country
United States

Yes, there 1320 is 2350 , not 1500-2000. I was off on that as were you. Same theory still applies though. Both making close to the same numbers outta the hole ~420(1320) - ~500(hellcat) and the advantage going the car with ~150 pounds less on the nose. Maybe off , but not too far off. Just a theory.
PaVa, wether it’s loaded or not, it’s still not making power till 2350.