Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

What I found changing fuel injectors

Idoru99

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dumfries
State
VA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Challenger Redeye WB
I had some time last night to make some progress to get my flex fuel tune moving along (Jon has been patient through all the delays and tribulations)

Anyway, started the process of changing out my fuel injectors by watching Speedy's video (splitch of fuel, huh? hahaha). Started working on the passenger side and had a hard time getting the front T30 screw out. It started easy, but about halfway through removal, it started getting really tough. Went over to the driver's side and while the rails spilled more fuel than I expected, the whole process went fairly well. Go back over to the passenger side, rear screw comes out fine, but that front is being a complete pain in the a**. Honestly, was getting the feeling that it was cross-threaded during original assembly. Figuring that the screw had to come out eventually, I pushed through (now I'm not sure that was a good idea or not). Anyway, this is what I find.

screwed.jpg

Very nice galling, if I do say so myself. Now, I could have screwed this up, but it really feels like it started cross-threaded during assembly and the just "air-tooled" in. I wasn't able to see the thread in the supercharger lid, not sure how bad those are.

Obviously, I need a new screw, I can order that from eastcoastmoparts or just go to my local dealer. However, do you think I can chase the threads in the supercharger lid to clean them out? Anyone know the size / thread pitch for that off the top of their head? Does this look more dire? Am I going to need to cut my "tap and die" teeth on my supercharger lid? o_O

Any other advice?

Thank in advance. I appreciate you all, hopefully it won't be too much of a PITA.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
That is crazy. I have taken mine out a few times and once loosened they spin out by hand. I would think you could chase the threads out. Go to the hardware store and figure out what size it is and depending how long it will be to get a replacement buy one close to use for now

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
I had some time last night to make some progress to get my flex fuel tune moving along (Jon has been patient through all the delays and tribulations)

Anyway, started the process of changing out my fuel injectors by watching Speedy's video (splitch of fuel, huh? hahaha). Started working on the passenger side and had a hard time getting the front T30 screw out. It started easy, but about halfway through removal, it started getting really tough. Went over to the driver's side and while the rails spilled more fuel than I expected, the whole process went fairly well. Go back over to the passenger side, rear screw comes out fine, but that front is being a complete pain in the a**. Honestly, was getting the feeling that it was cross-threaded during original assembly. Figuring that the screw had to come out eventually, I pushed through (now I'm not sure that was a good idea or not). Anyway, this is what I find.

View attachment 86209

Very nice galling, if I do say so myself. Now, I could have screwed this up, but it really feels like it started cross-threaded during assembly and the just "air-tooled" in. I wasn't able to see the thread in the supercharger lid, not sure how bad those are.

Obviously, I need a new screw, I can order that from eastcoastmoparts or just go to my local dealer. However, do you think I can chase the threads in the supercharger lid to clean them out? Anyone know the size / thread pitch for that off the top of their head? Does this look more dire? Am I going to need to cut my "tap and die" teeth on my supercharger lid? o_O

Any other advice?

Thank in advance. I appreciate you all, hopefully it won't be too much of a PITA.
Take one of the other screws to Lowes and go the hardware dept, and see which one this screws into. They have various size threaded portions on the racks right by the hardware bins. It'll be easy to figure out what size it is. I do this a lot when I have mystery hardware.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I suspect you're going to need a thread repair for that thread. Off the top of my head, I can't picture the area well, but I prefer the solid thread inserts over a Heli-coil, assuming that there is meat to allow for the insert.

1667406622512.png

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
BTW!

If you go this route, be certain to use the correct, specified drill size! Not the typical drill size found on generic thread tapping charts...

Don't learn the hard way...

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
BTW!

If you go this route, be certain to use the correct, specified drill size! Not the typical drill size found on generic thread tapping charts...

Don't learn the hard way...
Are you trying to say that having to refill the hole with Fastweld and then drill/tap that isn't the best way to go about achieving success????

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Are you trying to say that having to refill the hole with Fastweld and then drill/tap that isn't the best way to go about achieving success????

I've done some amazing things with JB Weld, but we're not at that level with this repair... ...yet..

OP
Idoru99

Idoru99

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dumfries
State
VA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #8
That is crazy. I have taken mine out a few times and once loosened they spin out by hand. I would think you could chase the threads out. Go to the hardware store and figure out what size it is and depending how long it will be to get a replacement buy one close to use for now
Driver's side did spin out by hand.

OP
Idoru99

Idoru99

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dumfries
State
VA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #9
I suspect you're going to need a thread repair for that thread. Off the top of my head, I can't picture the area well, but I prefer the solid thread inserts over a Heli-coil, assuming that there is meat to allow for the insert.

View attachment 86213
Thanks! I can take a picture of the area when I get home, just didn't think of it last night, was too frustrated. I'd like to give the chaser a try first, but this is probably how I'll have to go, just pisses me off.

OP
Idoru99

Idoru99

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dumfries
State
VA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #10
I've done some amazing things with JB Weld, but we're not at that level with this repair... ...yet..
I just hope I don't have to get there....:p

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Thanks! I can take a picture of the area when I get home, just didn't think of it last night, was too frustrated. I'd like to give the chaser a try first, but this is probably how I'll have to go, just pisses me off.
Lube the tap when you put it in, it will cut easier.

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
You could just clean the threads in that screw and try reinstalling it? There may be enough threads to get it torqued back down sufficiently?

OP
Idoru99

Idoru99

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dumfries
State
VA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #13
You could just clean the threads in that screw and try reinstalling it? There may be enough threads to get it torqued back down sufficiently?
Possibly. A wire brush did nothing. I could a pick to try to clean out the threads, that could work. I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

OP
Idoru99

Idoru99

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dumfries
State
VA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #14
This is the screw's seat in the lid.

20221102_220343.jpg

Does that look like enough meat to tap it?

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
worst case scenario you have to drill and tap for one size up.

2fast4u

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Edwardsburg
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Hellcat Widebody-DUMBO
Just use a longer bolt and put a nut on the bottom.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I don't think it's that big a deal. I'd just chase the threads and try a new screw. Those don't get tightened all that tight.

OP
Idoru99

Idoru99

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dumfries
State
VA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #18
Couldn't make it to home depot yesterday due to an after work mandatory fun engagement. I'll get over there today to see about something to chase the threads and possibly tap a larger hole. I'll probably also pick up a longer bolt and nut, as @2fast4u mentioned, just to make sure I can hold the rail down to continue and get some idle logs complete.

2fast4u

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Edwardsburg
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Hellcat Widebody-DUMBO
For what little force this uses I would also recommend to try and find some Form-a Thread...I have used it successfully in the past on items that don't have a lot of torque on them, this looks like a prime candidate. The nut thing was a last resort type deal, temporary fix type.

OP
Idoru99

Idoru99

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dumfries
State
VA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #20
Called the local dealership - those T30 screws are not serviceable, so they won't sell them to me??? Strange. Anyway, off to HD and Lowe's this afternoon to see what I can find.