Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Well.... hell. Thinking of getting rid of the Charger Hellcat

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Supposedly worth more than I owe on it (some places say 10 grand more). Needing to add on to the house (plan is 2400 sf garage, 2400 storage / utility / storm cellar, whole house RO, and 2400 sf media room / master suite / guest room wing). That is expensive. And I need to build another business building (about 5400 sf show room and warehouse combo). Not sure I can do all these things at once, financial-wise. Maybe set the HC aside for 2 to 3 years to get this other stuff out of the way. Also allows time for the RE Charger pricing to level. Think the wife thinks, actually, I know the wife thinks that I won't be able to make it without the Hellcat though.

Comments? Thoughts?

What the F.gif

tenor.gif

disappointed cake.gif

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
:oops: [nono]

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
I'm going to forgot I've seen this post...LOL...

Though, used prices seem high now...not sure how long this will last? Life needs sometimes come along, do what is best for your family. Are we talking about Hellcat and GTO???

tkracing1

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bay Area
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger
I wouldn’t even think twice about it... build that west wing and throw in a bowling alley. You can grab a cat down the road.

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Also will $10k make a material difference in your ability to do your projects? Certainly will help free up monthly cash flow to that end (not having a car payment).

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #6
I'm going to forgot I've seen this post...LOL...

Though, used prices seem high now...not sure how long this will last? Life needs sometimes come along, do what is best for your family. Are we talking about Hellcat and GTO???
Yes, GTO and Charger would go.

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Yes, GTO and Charger would go.
As you know, cars are depreciating assets (can always get another one as TK said). It makes sense to me. Just promise you won't leave us...

WhipCat

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
In the Jungle
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
if you have to sell your car to pay for those things than you obviously need the money.

something I have been taught.

things you want shouldn’t get in the way of things you need, and things you need shouldn’t get into the way of things you want. Just work harder and make more money.

if your worried about paying for something and not having the money, you shouldn’t have to sell your favorite car. Work harder and smarter and go make the money to pay for what you “need”

suck it up. You bought the hellcat, don’t blame it on the car

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
if you have to sell your car to pay for those things than you obviously need the money.

something I have been taught.

things you want shouldn’t get in the way of things you need, and things you need shouldn’t get into the way of things you want. Just work harder and make more money.

if your worried about paying for something and not having the money, you shouldn’t have to sell your favorite car. Work harder and smarter and go make the money to pay for what you “need”

suck it up. You bought the hellcat, don’t blame it on the car
Didn't get the impression he was blaming his cars...just thinking about reducing his financial obligations in the short term to tackle those projects. Smart to consider unloading the cars now with these higher prices. Good luck @Magnified...keep us updated if you can.

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #10
lol, not blaming anything on anything. Selling both frees up some $30K in cash (more or less) and saves 10K a years in payments and insurance (not counting gas, tires, etc...). That can make a difference with those capital projects from my financial "comfort zone." I tend to be very conservative that way and like big cushions (with the little kids, me being older, and vulnerabilities). The two new building projects along with the just purchased home and acreage in the Rockies pushes it too far into the red at this point for my eyebrow not to raise a little.

And I have always agreed that for most cars, those clearly not investment grade, it's a depreciating asset. Main reason I leased at 0% to make sure I really wanted the car. Not something I have to have, but a want (the real want is the RE). My wife saw through that immediately, "Are you wanting to get rid of it so you can get a RE?" But I have the hook in her, sort of. She said she'd jump all over a HC Durango.

Anyway, while I am not wealthy by any means, I do try to play it safe. Maybe one of the projects will have to go? Told the wife when we decided on the mountain place that that could impact other plans.

I'll continue to think on it. And thanks for all the perspectives. Always, and I mean always, good to have.

WhipCat

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
In the Jungle
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Didn't get the impression he was blaming his cars...just thinking about reducing his financial obligations in the short term to tackle those projects. Smart to consider unloading the cars now with these higher prices. Good luck @Magnified...keep us updated if you can.
people will use whatever means of justification to fit a decision they want to make. It’s natural. We all do it. But ultimately, with time to process and consider all options. We find that there is always other alternatives. And most of the time, a better one presents itself. If after lots of careful deliberation, the same idea keeps being the best choice, then maybe the right idea has been presented and you go with it. Hopefully without regrets.

if there is regret, then your worse off no matter what you did.

hopefully it works it for the OP. Financial justification usually requires sacrifice one way or the other.

Hayabusa

HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lunatic Fringe
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 WB Redeye, Sublime
I've given up cars to get other things done (kids college tuition, move out of the hell known as NJ to PA, etc). I've always come back to a Hellcat as I missed the visceral experience so much. I'd hate to see you give up your cat but you'll be able to get another one. I'm on my 3rd (and last as I found the combo I love).

As long as you're 1) not taking a bath on it, 2) you promise to stay with us, and 3) you recover $$$ quickly to get your Charger Redeye, cool. We'll all celebrate the day you land it!

Full disclosure...I didn't have to get rid of my 2016 Granite Crystal Challenger Hellcat but had a reason (excuse) to and bailed figuring FCA would do something spectacular for the 50th.

Nope...but I did get the Power Dollars on my Sublime Redeye :giggle: Me thinks that Charger Redeye is callin' to a brother :LOL::love:(y)

You know we all wish you luck and all the best whichever way you decide!

Maxboost

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuquay varina
State
NC
Country
United States
tenor.gif

Maxboost

Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuquay varina
State
NC
Country
United States
giphy (1).gif tenor (1).gif

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Depends on asking price. I have seen some mid 40k Hellcats for sale for months. Friend of mine had a perfect '16 Charger B5 with 24k miles for 46k and it took him 4 months to sell it

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Dude, I don't know you anymore...

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Supposedly worth more than I owe on it (some places say 10 grand more). Needing to add on to the house (plan is 2400 sf garage, 2400 storage / utility / storm cellar, whole house RO, and 2400 sf media room / master suite / guest room wing). That is expensive. And I need to build another business building (about 5400 sf show room and warehouse combo). Not sure I can do all these things at once, financial-wise. Maybe set the HC aside for 2 to 3 years to get this other stuff out of the way. Also allows time for the RE Charger pricing to level. Think the wife thinks, actually, I know the wife thinks that I won't be able to make it without the Hellcat though.

Comments? Thoughts?

View attachment 20176

View attachment 20177

View attachment 20178
This is a tough one...hard to turn away with the value of the Charger being what it is...but you know with the aggressive expansion plans you've set forth...you wont be back...cost over rides..unforeseen f*ckups…..not sure what I would do...but..your minds made up..(I can tell)..will you at least write ???..gonna miss the stories..the sardonic wit..but..the Charger...(and the GTO)..are history...:(:(:(

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
You have to do what you have to do sometimes in life.
I haven't admitted this on this forum......until now......but I sent the 1320 down the road back in mid-May. And I did it for similar reasons to yours, reducing monthly outlay. I wanted to be able to put more away for retirement. I found a dealer that gave me what I wanted so I could walk away clean. My drag car is going down the road next so I can free up the money I pay for storing it evey month.
I figured that there are plenty enough garage queen Hellcats around that I can always pick one up later if the mood hits me.

Let the beatings begin............

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Everyone has different reason for selling cars. I have to have a play car, my life is cars. I may park my car in the winter and take a break but it is all out again once the weather turns

Having something like a Hellcat is why I go to work. I never had kids (50) so my cars have been my "kids" my outlet of life

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
You have to do what you have to do sometimes in life.
I haven't admitted this on this forum......until now......but I sent the 1320 down the road back in mid-May. And I did it for similar reasons to yours, reducing monthly outlay. I wanted to be able to put more away for retirement. I found a dealer that gave me what I wanted so I could walk away clean. My drag car is going down the road next so I can free up the money I pay for storing it evey month.
I figured that there are plenty enough garage queen Hellcats around that I can always pick one up later if the mood hits me.

Let the beatings begin............
Awww Troop...say it aint so...Retirement??how old are ya troop anyway...