Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

VMAX 200 day and a ZL1 Camaro

Lord Hellcat

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Barking
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat
Yesterday we visited an RAF base for a VMAX 200 day. An aircraft runway that was 1.2 miles long from the start line to the speed beacon and braking point.
The last and only one I had been to before was back in September 2016.
No burnouts allowed prior to launch but as I am running Toyo R888R's I was hoping that traction would be a bit better than it was on the original Pzeros which it was.
I also took off my replica 2017 Hellcat wheels and refitted the originals. I did not want to risk a wheel failure. Running 285 on the front and 305 on the rear which I know is not at all ideal for the contact patch on the rear but I had no choice.
I also went to see my mate Steve who is a bodywork guy and got him to tweak the hood so it was no longer sitting proud at the front.
My Hellcat is till stock.
There was some seriously quick stuff there.
Launching in second gear was the only way to get it off the line without too much wheel spin and it took three or four runs for the car to really loosen up.
For the first few runs it felt like I was missing 100bhp as it really was not pulling well at the top end with a best top speed of 180mph.
The last run of the day for me was up against a tuned 2019 ZL1 Camaro. The chap reckoned he was running just over 700bhp so I thought it would make an interesting race.
Well we blitzed him which felt very satisfying with a terminal speed of 195.15mph.
I queried this speed reading but they were adamant that it was correct. I reckoned 189mph would be more realistic.
Fast forward the video to 2.25 to see the run as I have no clue how to edit the video.
I am really struggling in the UK to find someone willing to dyno the Hellcat and until this happens I cannot fit the Litens 2.85.
Great day out :)
Camaro2.jpg

OP
Lord Hellcat

Lord Hellcat

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Barking
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Vehicle
Thread Starter #2
They also allocated me quite a good race number
Kendrew1.jpg
Kendrew2.jpg

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Awesome run!

2017 Redline HC

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Komoka
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Nice run! What were the top speeds of the day?

RedEye19FL

Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradenton
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 TorRed Challenger RedEye
That was a great run, mate! Was that your wife as a passenger? She sounded cool, calm and collected, as did you.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Way to represent the Hellcat, great work!
Sounds like you car is working well.

Hayabusa

HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lunatic Fringe
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 WB Redeye, Sublime
Very cool! You 2 sounded like you were out for a Sunday drive in the country, no drama...just enjoying the run.

Last edited:

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
These cars are amazing road cars. You just need an open road to prove it. Just look how effortlessly than thing eats up pavement. Guarantee the ZL1's ride wasn't that pleasant .

John G.

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat
I need subtitles! ;)

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
Very nice. (y) Glad you could test your car to it’s potential. I never got above 130 on mine but that was effortless at the time. 195 in 1.2 miles is amazing! Seems to me most of the long runs I’ve read about in the past took 2 miles to get up to that speed.

Hemiride

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Farwell
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
I did a 2.85. 775 injectors. Blower spacers. 180 stat this spring. I had it remote tuned. You could do the same thing. That way no need for a dyno.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
OP
Lord Hellcat

Lord Hellcat

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Barking
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Vehicle
Thread Starter #13
Thank you
They have not published the final results yet. I saw 237mph from a Porsche 997 turbo
That was a great run, mate! Was that your wife as a passenger? She sounded cool, calm and collected, as did you.
yes it was the wife. 38 years of being with me, she is used to going fast
Way to represent the Hellcat, great work!
Sounds like you car is working well.
Thank you. The more I ran the happier it felt
Very cool! You 2 sounded like you were out for a Sunday drive in the country, no drama...just enjoying the run.
Just like a walk in the park. No fuss, arrow straight and great on the brakes
These cars are amazing road cars. You just need an open road to prove it. Just look how effortlessly than thing eats up pavement. Guarantee the ZL1's ride wasn't that pleasant .
He did not talk to me afterwards. It probably did not help that at around 140mph we started to really pull away and I was looking and waving at his passenger. I guess he thought I was mad
I need subtitles! ;)
haha
Very nice. (y) Glad you could test your car to it’s potential. I never got above 130 on mine but that was effortless at the time. 195 in 1.2 miles is amazing! Seems to me most of the long runs I’ve read about in the past took 2 miles to get up to that speed.
I've seen 189mph back in 2016 on a 1.3 mile run. I am still suspicious of the 195mph in 1.2 miles. But they were adamant it was correct
I did a 2.85. 775 injectors. Blower spacers. 180 stat this spring. I had it remote tuned. You could do the same thing. That way no need for a dyno.
How can they remote tune it without having some numbers from the dyno such as the AFR's etc. I've bought the 2.85, Demon injectors, the 180 stat, the unlocked PCM and a trinity 2. So I am ready to go
Nice run.
Did you get to keep the number decal? :devilish::devilish:
Yes I stuck it on the garage wall :)

Hemiride

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Farwell
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
Thank you

They have not published the final results yet. I saw 237mph from a Porsche 997 turbo

yes it was the wife. 38 years of being with me, she is used to going fast

Thank you. The more I ran the happier it felt

Just like a walk in the park. No fuss, arrow straight and great on the brakes

He did not talk to me afterwards. It probably did not help that at around 140mph we started to really pull away and I was looking and waving at his passenger. I guess he thought I was mad

haha

I've seen 189mph back in 2016 on a 1.3 mile run. I am still suspicious of the 195mph in 1.2 miles. But they were adamant it was correct

How can they remote tune it without having some numbers from the dyno such as the AFR's etc. I've bought the 2.85, Demon injectors, the 180 stat, the unlocked PCM and a trinity 2. So I am ready to go

Yes I stuck it on the garage wall :)

First let me say I'm no expert, but this is what I think I know.
1. You find a tuner you want to work with. I'd recommend getting a HPtuners instead of the trinity. 2 of the top tuners use the HPtuners. They are Mike@OSTDYNO and Curt Dusterhauff tuning. If you have to keep the trinity then i think hemituner uses that. So now you've picked a tuner
2. They will email you a safe tune. You will down load it into your tuner, then load it into your car.
3. Then you go for a drive and data log.
4. Then email it back to the tuner. He reviews the log and makes changes. This may happen several times until your guy (tuner) is happy. You must have the unlocked pcm installed before any of this takes place

I feel remote tuning is the best way to go because it's done in real world conditions

OP
Lord Hellcat

Lord Hellcat

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Barking
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Vehicle
Thread Starter #15
Many thanks Hemiride. I was intending to use Josh at HHP for the tuning,

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
My Hellcat is till stock.

Well we blitzed him which felt very satisfying with a terminal speed of 195.15mph.

:oops::oops::oops:

@Lord Hellcat

I'm sorry, but they gave you the wrong number, because you had the hand of God pushing you on that run! :eek:;)

Seriously, that is an amazing run for a stock Hellcat!

I realize that you were on a 1.2 mile course, but damn!

To put that into perspective, I can eek out 176mph on a 1mile run with DAs in the 8000+ range. The guys down in Texas can run another 5mph or so... (I'm not clear on what DA they typical have down there)

The guys running down at the KSC in Florida need 2.3 miles, good air and wind to run up to 200ish.

If you pulled 195.15mph in 1.2 miles, that has got to extrapolate out to a 1 mile record for a stock Hellcat! Did they print you out a trap speed ticket? If you ever get the chance to run again, BEG them to set up a 1mile trap, tell them you're setting records!

Congratulations!!! :)

Hemiride

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Farwell
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 challenger hellcat
I forgot about Josh at hhp. You'll be in good hands with him.

OP
Lord Hellcat

Lord Hellcat

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Barking
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Vehicle
Thread Starter #18
They have not posted the speeds up yet other than saying the Porsche Turbo won the day at 239.7mph

OP
Lord Hellcat

Lord Hellcat

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Barking
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Vehicle
Thread Starter #19
I forgot about Josh at hhp. You'll be in good hands with him.
Yes I have always heard good things about Josh and he has been very helpful to me in the past

OP
Lord Hellcat

Lord Hellcat

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Barking
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
Vehicle
Thread Starter #20
:oops::oops::oops:

@Lord Hellcat

I'm sorry, but they gave you the wrong number, because you had the hand of God pushing you on that run! :eek:;)

Seriously, that is an amazing run for a stock Hellcat!

I realize that you were on a 1.2 mile course, but damn!

To put that into perspective, I can eek out 176mph on a 1mile run with DAs in the 8000+ range. The guys down in Texas can run another 5mph or so... (I'm not clear on what DA they typical have down there)

The guys running down at the KSC in Florida need 2.3 miles, good air and wind to run up to 200ish.

If you pulled 195.15mph in 1.2 miles, that has got to extrapolate out to a 1 mile record for a stock Hellcat! Did they print you out a trap speed ticket? If you ever get the chance to run again, BEG them to set up a 1mile trap, tell them you're setting records!

Congratulations!!! :)
Thank you BULL. Kendrew Barracks is only 400 feet above see level. I have no idea what the DA was but it has to be very good. They were not printing trap speed tickets and you had to go ask the guy inputting the speeds on his lap top to find out what you ran. They did have speed beacons set up for 1/4 and 1/2 mile but they did not appear to be making a note of them. They had led boards up which you could watch as cars went down the runway to see what they were running at the 1/4 and 1/2. When they post the numbers up on their website I will upload them here. Despite what they told me I don't believe I ran 195. I reckon maybe 189/190 at a push. I would like to run at another event this year but that will be after the pulley and a tune so the 1 mile record for stock would not be possible to achieve.