Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Transmission Fluid Change?

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Has anyone changed the transmission fluid in their Hellcat?

I'm told that you don't need to but it seems like it would extend the transmissions life?

Your thoughts.

MiHiHemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Parker
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT 426
Yep, they say lifetime but just doesn’t seem right. You have to get a new pan in the process since the filter is incorporated with it though. I think I’ll do mine at around 50K when/if the time comes.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #3
Yep, they say lifetime but just doesn’t seem right. You have to get a new pan in the process since the filter is incorporated with it though. I think I’ll do mine at around 50K when/if the time comes.
I was told that it's around $400-$500.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
I was all ways told,,, if you don't smell or leakage. Leave it alone. Seals are fine, rings are good, gaskets are good. To my understandings in the woods growing up. Not to open that system or it wood do damage letting all the metal out. Breaking it free is worse than the fluid. I would think 100K at least. But could cause more damage.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #5
I was all ways told,,, if you don't smell or leakage. Leave it alone. Seals are fine, rings are good, gaskets are good. To my understandings in the woods growing up. Not to open that system or it wood do damage letting all the metal out. Breaking it free is worse than the fluid. I would think 100K at least. But could cause more damage.
I was told that if you change it early this was good. If you wait to change it then you leave it alone.

MiHiHemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Parker
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT 426
I remember a vid. where a guy changed his out around 60K or so and sure enough, there was some glitter in there.

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
I was told that if you change it early this was good. If you wait to change it then you leave it alone.
Conventional wisdom.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
You are correct. These systems are very close to being hermetically sealed. Like a chiller. Once you open it up?? Worst enemy is humidity. Just like the a/c at home. Once opened it has to be pumped down to exhaust the water. See how long it takes to do a 5 ton condenser?? Try doing a 1,200 ton machine and it has a pin hole. Start all over again.

drag racer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
PEORIA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger HC, '19 Durango SRT, '22 Charger SP
I would absolutely recommend changing it regularly. The manufacturer of the transmission has a service interval. Don't believe the "filled for life" BS from OEM - there is no such thing, and I don't care how good the oil is. They only say that because the probability of a given unit making it through the warranty period without failure is high enough to make the warranty cost risk attractive enough for them to accept. Now, on to my biggest pet peeve - put a dipstick in the damn thing!!!:mad:

catdad

Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lake City
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
I would absolutely recommend changing it regularly. The manufacturer of the transmission has a service interval. Don't believe the "filled for life" BS from OEM - there is no such thing, and I don't care how good the oil is. They only say that because the probability of a given unit making it through the warranty period without failure is high enough to make the warranty cost risk attractive enough for them to accept. Now, on to my biggest pet peeve - put a dipstick in the damn thing!!!:mad:
What would you call regular? I have a 2019 with almost 20,000mls now and probably 120 1/4 passes. Thanks

drag racer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
PEORIA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
Just my opinion of course, but "regular" to me living in hot climate is approx. 30k miles max. (less for a truck & towing), and I use what I feel is the best ATF made; have had very good life out of my transmissions over my driving lifetime using this interval. I would call your 20k miles and 100+ drag passes right about the time I would start thinking of an oil change in the near future.

jgilj

1000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Brooksville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
21 Challenger Super Stock
@DavidKFla just take in to @hellno have him put in the billet E drum and he can fix it up better than new! Plus then have @jonx96 turn it up a piece or E85 it!

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
The hellcat is one of the ONLY 8HP90's with a separate filter and NOT a "filtran" pan assembly.

You can order a kit with new pan bolts, gasket, filter and plugs from the dealer.

It takes roughly 8qts to do the pan drop & swap IIRC. I have all the parts and meant to do it in 2020. See how well that worked out. Still waiting. Coming up on 30k though so it WILL be getting done soon.

The worst part isn't even the swap itself but refilling it with fluid. The procedure for doing so is absolutely freaking bonkers.

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
My BMW also has a ZF trans that is a “lifetime fluid” if you ask BMW. If you ask ZF, I think they want me to change the fluid around 75k in that car (somewhere around there).

So I’d recommend searching and finding out what ZF recommends for the 8HP.

drag racer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
PEORIA
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
it's about the same, but I think it's too long

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Yeah I think ZF recommends between 70-80k or 8 years, whatever comes first.

I’m right at 75k miles on my BMW now, so I’ll probably change mine this Fall. Mine even has a sticker on it that says something like “Caution - lifetime fluid!” when you’re under the car.

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
John would have HHP change the Trans fluid on our Hellcats after race season was over, after all dragracing is not Daily driving.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Just my opinion of course, but "regular" to me living in hot climate is approx. 30k miles max. (less for a truck & towing), and I use what I feel is the best ATF made; have had very good life out of my transmissions over my driving lifetime using this interval. I would call your 20k miles and 100+ drag passes right about the time I would start thinking of an oil change in the near future.
And this best ATF is what?

drag racer

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Member ID
Reactions
City
PEORIA
State
AZ
Country