Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Train Tracks and Hellcats

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Kinda a wierd tale...
This eve driving home, I encountered the railroad tracks that I cross every day. The only thing unusual is that the signal is green, few cars go and then light goes yellow...cars stop..no train, then back to green and so on. So now its green and my turn to go. Light goes yellow right as I'm crossing and immediately, HC dash goes haywire. First is low fuel light, and indeed gauge needle on E. Then RedKey in use light goes on, then service stability control lights, then tach is jittery (by now off tracks, clutch depreessed, at idle)
I'm thinkin WTF! Then as get further past tracks, all the lights go off, gas gauge reads 1/2 tank (correct), only notification still on is the service stability control. I continue on and press console SRT button...all drive modes are: traction street, suspension sport. Stays that way til I get home..susp does feel like it is actually in sport. Once home, turn off the ignition. Restart, and everything is normal, including all SRT drive modes. Wierd, like some train track signal accessed the HC computer. Could it have stalled the engine, or if mine was an A8 put me in park while on the tracks? Kinda spooky! Anyone else ever encounter such an event?

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
Kinda a wierd tale...
This eve driving home, I encountered the railroad tracks that I cross every day. The only thing unusual is that the signal is green, few cars go and then light goes yellow...cars stop..no train, then back to green and so on. So now its green and my turn to go. Light goes yellow right as I'm crossing and immediately, HC dash goes haywire. First is low fuel light, and indeed gauge needle on E. Then RedKey in use light goes on, then service stability control lights, then tach is jittery (by now off tracks, clutch depreessed, at idle)
I'm thinkin WTF! Then as get further past tracks, all the lights go off, gas gauge reads 1/2 tank (correct), only notification still on is the service stability control. I continue on and press console SRT button...all drive modes are: traction street, suspension sport. Stays that way til I get home..susp does feel like it is actually in sport. Once home, turn off the ignition. Restart, and everything is normal, including all SRT drive modes. Wierd, like some train track signal accessed the HC computer. Could it have stalled the engine, or if mine was an A8 put me in park while on the tracks? Kinda spooky! Anyone else ever encounter such an event?
Very strange indeed. Can't say I've had that happen. Find out when another train is coming and try again 😂🤣😅🤣😂. Just glad all is good with your Hellcat. Good seeing you JRabq.

OP
JRabq

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #3
Good to see you too. Indeed, train racing may catch on again! Not many longterm players tho...

Purerock105

1000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Reno
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
16' Corvette Z06, 17' Shelby GT350, 17' Raptor
Yes. In the BIG trk. 2021 Freightliner Cascadia. I was mere feet from the down gate as the train did it's thing and just as the train hit the spot on the track to trigger the gate up plus red lights off, my nav shut off and my phone restarted. Nothing wiggy on the trk tho. Clearly, some tracks run a higher than normal powered signal to operate and if you're close enough, you can be affected.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
This perhaps ??

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Kinda a wierd tale...

Damn, I kept waiting to read that it died on the tracks in a Final Destination way.

:eek:

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Kinda a wierd tale...
Damn, I kept waiting to read that it died on the tracks in a Final Destination way.

:eek:
Hmmm very strange indeed..almost incomprehensible...ummm...just how hard were you hittin that medical grade nitrous before you left work..:unsure::unsure::unsure:

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
Hell I thought this was the @1971demon man thread showing off his Man Cave collection next to his Hellcats😁
7E931921-83C8-4A18-A8EF-FE790641C54B.jpeg

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
I wonder what might happen with a modified Tuned car ?:unsure:
Glad you made it through @JRabq !
I hope all is well with you and your family.
How is your grandbaby doing....growing like a weed I imagine?

Take Care
Linda :)

HWDan

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Home of the Hellcat
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Charger SRT 392
Or a loose ground, do crossing the tracks shake the car to any degree at all?

For sanity, try to tighten up all the known grounding locations in the back, including the battery terminals and any in the engine bay. ( I would slightly loosen and then retighten them).

Finface

Member ID
Reactions
City
Morning View
State
KY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
OP
JRabq

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #13
I wonder what might happen with a modified Tuned car ?:unsure:
Glad you made it through @JRabq !
I hope all is well with you and your family.
How is your grandbaby doing....growing like a weed I imagine?

Take Care
Linda :)
Hi linda,
All is good, hope same for you!
Grandson doing great, just took first solo steps! He is so funny. He LOVES the hellcats. Every visit he must go stand in the car and it must be the drivers seat...gripping the wheel, too funny!
And to get him glued to tv....hellcat drag race youtube vids...we'll see where that all goes!

OP
JRabq

JRabq

1000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #14
Or a loose ground, do crossing the tracks shake the car to any degree at all?

For sanity, try to tighten up all the known grounding locations in the back, including the battery terminals and any in the engine bay. ( I would slightly loosen and then retighten them).
Good thought...crazy week so no wrenches yet...but no recurrence back and forth same tracks(sorry guys no trains yet) or bumps. I really think it was stray signals.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Hi linda,
All is good, hope same for you!
Grandson doing great, just took first solo steps! He is so funny. He LOVES the hellcats. Every visit he must go stand in the car and it must be the drivers seat...gripping the wheel, too funny!
And to get him glued to tv....hellcat drag race youtube vids...we'll see where that all goes!
Look out grampa...before ya know it...the little man will be lookin for the red key...

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Kinda a wierd tale...
Awesome.... electrical and magnetic fields can do all kinds of things. Maybe a short to the tracks? In person, the worst of that nature I've seen was an electric light bulb that would go off when a person approached and turn back on after they had passed. Glad there was no permanent damage.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
PS - I've always thought if you can produce this artificially at a respectable distance, you've got a pursuit eliminator - zap the SOBs car, it dies and coasts to a stop. The trick of course is the physics.

blues brothers jamming.gif