Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Touch Screen Cleaning

thetalonguy

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger HC M6
Hi All,

Just brought home my new to me 2017 Hellcat yesterday. I noticed today that the touch screen is kind of grimey/blotchy. I thought it was just fingerprint oil, but it doesn't seem to be coming off. I initially tried an Arm and Hammer Orange cleaner/degreaser wipe, then I tried Windex to no avail. Was thinking of trying rubbing alcohol, but didn't want to make it worse. Seems to be worse around the outside edges.

Anyone experience this before? Any suggestions to try to clean? Not sure if that can be polished out or not to do anything to make it worse off. I know some people put screen protectors on these, but being used, it may be too late for that.

TS1.png
TS2.png
TS3.png

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
Screenshot_20210312-200247_DuckDuckGo.jpg

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Hard to see but are you sure the plastic film isn't still on it? Kind of looks like a screen cover. My 2016 always came clean easy, maybe some chemicals got on the screen?

OP
thetalonguy

thetalonguy

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger HC M6
Thread Starter #4
Hard to see but are you sure the plastic film isn't still on it? Kind of looks like a screen cover. My 2016 always came clean easy, maybe some chemicals got on the screen?
Hmm. It didn't seem like it was a screen cover. But maybe it is and just has a perfect fit to the edges of the screen. I'll take a look in the morning and will go buy Linda's suggested cleaner.

BTW..Loving the cat! Glad I finally got one.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
If you figure out that the protective layer isn't still on there (doesn't look like it, but maybe), and you can't get that haze off, I'd try some fine-grade plastic polish in the bottom righthand corner and see if that improves it.

That is sad... (sorry)

:(

OP
thetalonguy

thetalonguy

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger HC M6
Thread Starter #6
If you figure out that the protective layer isn't still on there (doesn't look like it, but maybe), and you can't get that haze off, I'd try some fine-grade plastic polish in the bottom righthand corner and see if that improves it.

That is sad... (sorry)

:(
Thanks, I think I heard of Meguiars having a plastic polish. Will try that out too.

Bonus question...if anyone knows of a good, link to, alcantara cleaning product, then feel free to post up. Never had this type of interior before and it could use a good cleaning.

Tape

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Hell
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Redeye
I bought a tempered glass protector from eBay for mine, such an improvement over the regular screen and fingerprints do not show up as bad and you're not always cleaning the screen either.

AeroF16

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Hmm. It didn't seem like it was a screen cover. But maybe it is and just has a perfect fit to the edges of the screen. I'll take a look in the morning and will go buy Linda's suggested cleaner.

BTW..Loving the cat! Glad I finally got one.
Might just be the lighting. The first pic looks like it is delaminating in the top right corner, which made me think maybe it there was a cover on it.

OP
thetalonguy

thetalonguy

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger HC M6
Thread Starter #9
I bought a tempered glass protector from eBay for mine, such an improvement over the regular screen and fingerprints do not show up as bad and you're not always cleaning the screen either.
Thanks, just bought one from ebay. Guess having one on can't make it any worse off. Hopefully, I can polish it out a bit and then put a screen protector on.

Not the end of the world by any means. These large screens are new to me, especially since 90% of the controls are now through it, so wasn't sure if if I was missing something.

Tape

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Hell
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Redeye
Thanks, just bought one from ebay. Guess having one on can't make it any worse off. Hopefully, I can polish it out a bit and then put a screen protector on.

Not the end of the world by any means. These large screens are new to me, especially since 90% of the controls are now through it, so wasn't sure if if I was missing something.
Personally I don't think I would polish it because when you put a new protector on the screens going to look brand new.

OP
thetalonguy

thetalonguy

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger HC M6
Thread Starter #11
Personally I don't think I would polish it because when you put a new protector on the screens going to look brand new.
Ahh good to know!

why2kmax

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
12 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shrewsbury
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Indigo Blue Hellcat
Thanks, I think I heard of Meguiars having a plastic polish. Will try that out too.

Bonus question...if anyone knows of a good, link to, alcantara cleaning product, then feel free to post up. Never had this type of interior before and it could use a good cleaning.
Sonax makes a pretty good alcantera cleaner. Their brake dust cleaner is quite good also.

OP
thetalonguy

thetalonguy

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger HC M6
Thread Starter #13
Sonax makes a pretty good alcantera cleaner. Their brake dust cleaner is quite good also.
Cool, thanks for the tip. Will check it out.

OP
thetalonguy

thetalonguy

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger HC M6
Thread Starter #14
Just wanted to say a big thanks. The gunk ended up coming off after like 10 alcohol wipes. I don’t know, maybe the dealer cleaned the screen with armor all crap and it was just completely gunked on. I put a tempered glass protector on and it certainly looks brand new now. And now it doesn’t even show fingerprints. Thanks!

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Just wanted to say a big thanks. The gunk ended up coming off after like 10 alcohol wipes. I don’t know, maybe the dealer cleaned the screen with armor all crap and it was just completely gunked on. I put a tempered glass protector on and it certainly looks brand new now. And now it doesn’t even show fingerprints. Thanks!

Linkage to protector?

OP
thetalonguy

thetalonguy

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger HC M6
Thread Starter #16

2fast4u

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Edwardsburg
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Hellcat Widebody-DUMBO
Link works fine...Thanks for the info!

MJS73

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moparland
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat
Alcohol wipes, like for glasses. Our Walmart sells a box of 100 of them for like $5.

OP
thetalonguy

thetalonguy

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger HC M6
Thread Starter #19
Alcohol wipes, like for glasses. Our Walmart sells a box of 100 of them for like $5.
Thanks, yep, that's exactly what ended up working, well these were like the alcohol pads to clean your skin before an injection. Like 10 of them did the trick.

Member ID
Reactions
City
MARGATE
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 charger Hellcat