Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Time for a new enclosed aluminum trailer

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
You win.
I only transport my own stuff, so as far as Class 8 stuff goes, I only have two 28' vans, a 24' dropdeck flatbed, and a con gear.
Then again, even if I only hook up the 24-footer behind one of the 28s, I'm still longer than your measly 53-footers.
Last year I updated 4 of my 48 ft dry bx trailers MY 18 Great Danes...I'm currently waiting on a new 48ft refrigerated refer that has been on order for going on 5 months...price on comm trailers is absolutely insane...

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
You're going for the nice new stuff. My latest purchase was $1,200 for a 28' reefer in good shape. Using it for storage.
I think I paid around $3,500 for the other 28-footer...and then about 30K to have the living quarters built in the front portion.
I remember looking at new dry vans at the time, too, and I think they could be had for about 16K.
That was in '98, though.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
You're going for the nice new stuff. My latest purchase was $1,200 for a 28' reefer in good shape. Using it for storage.
I think I paid around $3,500 for the other 28-footer...and then about 30K to have the living quarters built in the front portion.
I remember looking at new dry vans at the time, too, and I think they could be had for about 16K.
That was in '98, though.
Depending on spec...double that..and then some for new dry vans...some of our manufactures that we deal with have strict policies (not like the old days)..they wont load a trailer over 10 yrs. old...

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Ouch.
Okay, that reefer of mine does not have air ride, which I normally insist on. Had to convert the con gear to air myself, though, as those are few and far between.

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Ok, so I made the decision to go after a new enclosed aluminum trailer.

I previously had a steel 8.5 * 24 United trailer, buy I lost it to two large hail storms because the insurance totaled it.

Now I'm considering either a 8.5 * 24 or 26, but aluminum, and in the ATC brand, this is primarily because it's what's available in the region (and because they're a good quality brand in aluminum trailers, or so I've heard)

The question is are there any other brands that members have good, direct experience with. The ATC brand is pretty good quality, but for whatever reason, they're also very expensive. I've heard that if I'm willing to go down to Texas, I can save many $1Ks.

So which brand do you all like?
Get the 6' tall full access door. I have a 5' and will NEVER do that again. Get 16" wheels. Period. A 4 or 5' ramp extension is a must if ordering. Also with Intech you can sign a waiver and they will build it 3-1/2" wider. I would do that if I had a chance to do over.

I bought from Joe @ KB Trailer Sales.

1213191326.jpg

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Also with Intech you can sign a waiver and they will build it 3-1/2" wider.
Are you saying for an overall width of 105.5 inches?? I hope not, as that could get quite sketchy if DOT notices.

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
Are you saying for an overall width of 105.5 inches?? I hope not, as that could get quite sketchy if DOT notices.
Yeah with today’s DOT technology I would Call the state police and just ask what the penalties are before I did anything. And they have devices that can see the heat off the brakes of big rigs and determine the possible over loads and would even think they would have measuring devices like laser to catch the over the length trailers as well. Never hurts to ask and if it’s a small fine than guess it may be worth it but If it’s park your trailer and it’s not legal anywhere than damn screw that. And or you have to apply for a special permit every time you tow no thanks that’s very expensive and time consuming.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Well, there are always over width permits, but that would be a big hassle to secure one for every trip.
I suspect those extra 3.5 inches aren't in addition to the normal 102 max, if for no other reason because those would be rare axles...if they even exist.

DRAGRCR

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Death Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Hornet
Well, there are always over width permits, but that would be a big hassle to secure one for every trip.
I suspect those extra 3.5 inches aren't in addition to the normal 102 max, if for no other reason because those would be rare axles...if they even exist.
I guess I will have to explain this so the width police can let it go. Trailer is legal width with the Fenderetts that go around the wheel wells on the outside of the trailer. Sign the waiver and they will build the SHEET METAL SIDES at legal width to give you a little more room inside. I assume they move the interior wheel wells out a bit as well which can be very helpful if you have a wide body or similar. Then if you get stopped by Police or DOT or whomever you would have to unscrew the Fenderetts to be legal. I was guessing at 3-1/2”. It might be less. fenderette.jpg

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Okay, that's a bit different than what I first thought, based on post number 45.
Full width (102") enclosed trailers aren't anything unusual. It was having to sign a waiver that threw me off.