Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

The Electric Revolution is truly here and what does it do to the ICE AGE?

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
I just posted the new Electric Hummer which boasts 1000HP and zero to 60 at 3 seconds. As Ice Age lovers here what does this do to us as time progresses? Will we truly be the ICE Age folk being left behind with the Electric Revolution and our Hellcats will be looked at differently. I mean think about it we have now 5 year plus models which in the car world that’s a long time lol. And by the time the EV’s start hitting the streets more than ever in the next few years we will be closing in on a decade of the same product. FCA has not shown us anything to grasp on the next big thing for the Challenger and Charger platform as well. Will the 1000HP plus EV’s depreciate our cars more than before due to the insane instant power from huge vehicles and not even cars? I think our Hellcats will always have a following and be unique to the Ice Age vehicles segment. But I feel as well the EV technology will take away the snap the neck kick in your ass ICE Age capability in comparison to the EV POWER. Five plus years has passed since the Hellcat reveal which is incredible. Now we can look forward five years and WOW the EV power will be even more crazy as the Ice Age possibly is just that ICE AGE.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
My HC will always have the same appeal (to me) that a 60’s muscle car has. Not the fastest by today’s standards, but they have a mechanical soul that the electric appliances will never have, regardless of how quick they are. Autonomous cars will eventually be unbeatable at the track vs human piloted cars and youngsters might laugh at us die hards, but I’m too old to GAF.

04Ram2500Hemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Western
State
MT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Ram TRX
Electric vehicles may be the (distant) future, but they have to become affordable and have a 500 mile range before they really become relevant.

Grape Ape

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Braselton
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Personally, I give not one F&%# about an electric vehicle. They do nothing for the environment like the morons claim. Where do these idiots think the power to charge them comes from? Magical unicorns? Most power plants in the US run on coal and natural gas. Also, how do you even charge one in Commiefornia when those idiots shut the power grid down? The stupidity of people will never cease to amaze me!

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
My HC will always have the same appeal (to me) that a 60’s muscle car has. Not the fastest by today’s standards, but they have a mechanical soul that the electric appliances will never have, regardless of how quick they are. Autonomous cars will eventually be unbeatable at the track vs human piloted cars and youngsters might laugh at us die hards, but I’m too old to GAF.
Autonomous cars @ the track...nothing more than a grown up video game...no thanks...I'll still be on the deserted backroads..far from the crowd...giglin and smilin ear to ear...

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Personally, I give not one F&%# about an electric vehicle. They do nothing for the environment like the morons claim. Where do these idiots think the power to charge them comes from? Magical unicorns? Most power plants in the US run on coal and natural gas. Also, how do you even charge one in Commiefornia when those idiots shut the power grid down? The stupidity of people will never cease to amaze me!
Not to mention what we do with all these spent batteries in 15 years....

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
If they don’t add better batteries (Pumped Storage Hydro) to the solar expansion they will have shit for power a few hours after sundown. Damn I almost hope they screw this up bad in CA. Tell ya what, at best, AT BEST, they don’t have squat for 5-7 years. They flat have power problems after sundown, NOW!

MiHiHemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Parker
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT 426
I sometimes don’t have the patience or time to spend the 5 or 10 mins to fill up my car now. Wouldn’t think of having to wait 20 or 30 at the juice bar.

OP
ChargerChallenger

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #9
I sometimes don’t have the patience or time to spend the 5 or 10 mins to fill up my car now. Wouldn’t think of having to wait 20 or 30 at the juice bar.
Kinda reminds me of the gas shortage days in the 70's when you had to wait hours in line at the gas station. The Hummer claims it goes 350 miles and yeah thats impressive but DAMN $100k plus which I guess for $150K you can go 500 miles. The longer ranger is on our doorstep over the next 5 years.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
The new electric car does 312 MPH.

Av8ing1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Marcos
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
I like it all. Love my gas cars and trucks. Would love to have an electric Hummer, will not be able to afford it though. The performance of electrics is undeniable, they will kick ass. I don't really care about environmental concerns, that would not be a reason I would purchase or not purchase an electric vehicle. What I do care about is the incompetent government forcing its will on me and trying to tell me what I can and can't have. There are a lot of concerns still for electric vehicles, electrical infrastructure, end of life disposal issues, range anxiety.... As a second or third vehicle though, a 1kHP 1k Ft/lbs. 4 wheel drive 0-60 in 3 seconds big ass truck monster play toy does sound fun.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
If they don’t add better batteries (Pumped Storage Hydro) to the solar expansion they will have shit for power a few hours after sundown. Damn I almost hope they screw this up bad in CA. Tell ya what, at best, AT BEST, they don’t have squat for 5-7 years. They flat have power problems after sundown, NOW!

How many more MW do we need if everyone converts to EV?

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
^^^

I found one reference that says we need 468 GW (Yes, Gigawatts) more capacity for us to convert to EV.

@DGatzby, how many plants is 468GW?

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
BTW, that's JUST for the USA, not for the planet, and apparently 468GW is $1,400,000,000,000.00

Anybody know where that would come from?

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Apparently a typical power plant is 500MW, so that's 780 new plants (give or take)

Each state gets, on average, 16 new plants.

A state like California probably gets a lion's share of that number, while less populated states get only a few???

Let's see a state like California approve something like 50 new plants...

@DGatzby, correct any or all of this nonsense I've posted.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
BTW, that's JUST for the USA, not for the planet, and apparently 468GW is $1,400,000,000,000.00

Make the rich pay their fair share. [histerical][histerical]

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
That GMC Hummer (that just looks weird) is $112,000 starting MSRP.
What does it cost loaded up?

How many miles can it go towing 7,000lbs?

There is a cool factor to it. But i think its more of a status symbol/look at me buy than it is an actual truck. Like everything else, early adoption is expensive. I remember the first HD TV's costing $10k! Now you can buy a nice 40" for under $200 at any chain store.

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
I think it'll be a long time before Mississippi jumps (or can afford to jump) on that bandwagon

Boris

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Northern
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Rammer
I like it all. Love my gas cars and trucks. Would love to have an electric Hummer, will not be able to afford it though. The performance of electrics is undeniable, they will kick ass. I don't really care about environmental concerns, that would not be a reason I would purchase or not purchase an electric vehicle. What I do care about is the incompetent government forcing its will on me and trying to tell me what I can and can't have. There are a lot of concerns still for electric vehicles, electrical infrastructure, end of life disposal issues, range anxiety.... As a second or third vehicle though, a 1kHP 1k Ft/lbs. 4 wheel drive 0-60 in 3 seconds big ass truck monster play toy does sound fun.

I have posted before on this, but i remember reading a few years back on the Hummer SUV gas hog vs the new EVs. And it said environmentally speaking, the Hummer might be better for the planet than the EV. The Hummer's drive train is completely rebuildable leading to less waste. Thus longer life of the vehicle and less impact on the planet. The EV however, batteries will go dead and need replacing. Can't rebuild a battery at this time. And then how do you safely dispose of it? Then it went on about grid build up etc.

But that is not something you are going to read about.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150

I don't know, but my company is in the process of shuttering 4 nuke power plants right now because according to the big bosses, natural gas plants are cheaper to operate right now. The combined total of those 4 is roughly 6,000 MW, so that deficit will need to be made up somewhere.