Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Street Racing - stupidity personified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
I've done my fair share of stupid things, well, more than my fair share actually. And doing this on the street is one of them. I do not do this anymore unless it is in nearly as controlled an environment as a full raceway. Controlled access, no one else around, unlimited sight lines, no one else in the cars, nothing to crash into, etc.... But, and there is always a but, isn't there? Last year, late after dark my wife and I for reasons that are not really important were coming down one of the main streets here in this town. Nice and wide, well lit, but with deep dips in the surface of the streets at cross streets because of historic flooding issues. I have kids in the car, so does she (her black luxo expedition EL and my white 4x4 working man expedition EL). I'm going 30 (the limit) on the right and she is coming up on my left. She generally will not speed except on the highway (or so she says, I've seen different), and as she comes up on me jumps on it. I compulsively and against my better judgment nail it and as we hit the next intersection with its double dips there is a good double whump whump from the dips (the Expedition EL is not shocked like a race car, let me tell you, so we're u-boating it). And as this is happening, we come upon the 15 story 1933 luxury hotel on this street, and the pack of parked cars lining both sides of the street. We've both already hit the brakes, but still, it bothers me even now. How bad could this have turned out? Let us count the ways:

1. At the dips, someone loses control. Vehicle crashes, or crashes into other vehicle.
2. Other idiots also speeding come out of side street. Carnage ensues.
3. Child or drunk stumbles out between parked cars and gets killed.
4. Etc.... ad nauseum

Now I knew better then, and know better now. I only offer this as a reminder to folks out there - you can lose your focus and make the mistake of playing around at the wrong place and time. Stay focused. Don't break your own rules. They're there for a reason. And if you don't have your own rules, now might be a good time to come up with them. My wife and I got lucky. Lots of you will get lucky. But luck runs out, and it doesn't have a gauge to let you know when it is going to happen.

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
I've done my fair share of stupid things, well, more than my fair share actually. And doing this on the street is one of them. I do not do this anymore unless it is in nearly as controlled an environment as a full raceway. Controlled access, no one else around, unlimited sight lines, no one else in the cars, nothing to crash into, etc.... But, and there is always a but, isn't there? Last year, late after dark my wife and I for reasons that are not really important were coming down one of the main streets here in this town. Nice and wide, well lit, but with deep dips in the surface of the streets at cross streets because of historic flooding issues. I have kids in the car, so does she (her black luxo expedition EL and my white 4x4 working man expedition EL). I'm going 30 (the limit) on the right and she is coming up on my left. She generally will not speed except on the highway (or so she says, I've seen different), and as she comes up on me jumps on it. I compulsively and against my better judgment nail it and as we hit the next intersection with its double dips there is a good double whump whump from the dips (the Expedition EL is not shocked like a race car, let me tell you, so we're u-boating it). And as this is happening, we come upon the 15 story 1933 luxury hotel on this street, and the pack of parked cars lining both sides of the street. We've both already hit the brakes, but still, it bothers me even now. How bad could this have turned out? Let us count the ways:

1. At the dips, someone loses control. Vehicle crashes, or crashes into other vehicle.
4. Etc.... ad nauseum

Now I knew better then, and know better now. I only offer this as a reminder to folks out there - you can lose your focus and make the mistake of playing around at the wrong place and time. Stay focused. Don't break your own rules. They're there for a reason. And if you don't have your own rules, now might be a good time to come up with them. My wife and I got lucky. Lots of you will get lucky. But luck runs out, and it doesn't have a gauge to let you know when it is going to happen.
I'm just imagining trying to comprehend all of this if hickster wrote it

Member ID
Reactions
City
Burnsville
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Oh good Lord - if Hickster penned this story you would have a better chance of following along if you were on acid ...... in Mexico 🇲🇽 of course....

HRJ

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Porsche GT3
I know it's dumb.....but I can't help myself. The devil makes me do it.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Now, now boys girls, and sum what in bee tween. As Mark Mr Twian wood say. As smoking a big ole bowl Mexican gonjua. The problem is with my stories is they are true. I think in haireted a death wish. I will never die. I should have been dead 12 times over, but some one sum where is getting a big laugh out of my life. I could not tell all the good and bad but funny stuff that has happened to me. Not that I had anything to do with it, it just happened. A new chapter is coming in 2 weeks. Get the Catster out of rehab Monday and start another move. I will tell Mark you guys say get em home boys.

tkracing1

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bay Area
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger

4. Etc.... ad nauseum

Those dips are killers... glad you guys thought better of it.

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #7
yes... on the upside of that second bounce you were off the seats if you were not belted....

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
I got belted a few times and had to pay her dearly fer it.

tkracing1

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bay Area
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger
I got belted a few times and had to pay her dearly fer it.
Sounds kinky...

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
It was a nice Christmas present from a girl friend. The rest is in the book, no pain no fame. One of many from the pleasure dome.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
It’s weird that you left out the important part. Did you get around her or did the EL gap you to the dips?

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat

4. Etc.... ad nauseum

It's OK @Magnified , it must be a Texas thing to live on the edge :unsure::LOL:

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #13
It’s weird that you left out the important part. Did you get around her or did the EL gap you to the dips?
I remained ahead....

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat

4. Etc.... ad nauseum

Cant argue with the sage advice of the post...it all falls under responsible behavior...unfortunately the mere operation of these cars could be considered irresponsible ..even in the controlled confines of track operation..triple digit speeds multiply the risk factor to irresponsible levels to the average American car owner...to the point they would argue the mere existence of such cars holds no merit...street racing?..at one point or another the majority of us have done it in one way or another....(and will continue to do so)...Calculate your risks...then be prepared to accept whatever consequences of a situation gone wrong may bring....or just sell your car and buy a prius...even that will not insulate you from vehicular misfortune or liability of responsible operation ...P.S. those that will assert they own these cars strictly for various track use...well there lying...

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6

4. Etc.... ad nauseum

I’m trying to preach the same thing but on bridges with the suspension up and down. Don’t do it! All that power while not firmly planted is a recipe for disaster

Finface

Member ID
Reactions
City
Morning View
State
KY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
That was a great post, Magnified. Thanks for sharing it.

I've been flying jet airplanes for 42 years, both in the US Navy and commercially, and aviation, like our unbelievably fast and fun cars, can be unforgiving of error. I can tell a few stories of where I almost bought the farm in the Navy early in my career - fortunately and truthfully I have none like them to tell about being airline pilot for almost 30 years. As a single seat carrier pilot for my first decade of flying, when in my last squadron, I was the Safety Officer. It's an 0-4 job, one of four department heads in a single-seat tactical jet squadron, and somewhat of a skate job compared to Ops O and Maintenance Officer. But of all the billets in the squadron it is, most of all, the one where you get to act as the voice of conscience regarding safety.

Single seat...flying around the world's oceans and off a ship, trying to maintain combat readiness in a variety of fast-paced ways. In close proximity to other jets. I had a great skipper in that squadron and he encouraged all the young pilots to share their close calls. I have always said it is the hallmark of a truly mature aviator to share human factor errors and resulting close calls with their fellow pilots - especially the ones that almost ended in their demise. Errors and events that no one would ever know about otherwise. You risk looking bad to the boss when you stand up in front of everybody at a meeting and bare your soul about how surprisingly incompetent you were, even if it was only for a 600 mph moment, but the smart skippers know that learning from other pilot's mistakes is a lot better than learning from your own - and saves lives and expensive war-fighting machines.

Whatever moved you to tell your story I salute you. It was a good one.

Best,

Finface