Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Storing car on Quickjacks over the winter.

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
So for the last 2 seasons I’ve stored my car on the Quickjacks with no issues as far as I can tell. We had family over yesterday and my uncle, an old time car guy, said storing the car for a few months with the suspension sagging to full drop is not a good idea. I had always heard that, but never had an issue. I can drop it down to to put some compression on the suspension, but can’t safely lock the jacks, depending entirely on hydraulic pressure to hold the car up, which probably not so good. Thoughts please…

Hunter

9000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
So for the last 2 seasons I’ve stored my car on the Quickjacks with no issues as far as I can tell. We had family over yesterday and my uncle, an old time car guy, said storing the car for a few months with the suspension sagging to full drop is not a good idea. I had always heard that, but never had an issue. I can drop it down to to put some compression on the suspension, but can’t safely lock the jacks, depending entirely on hydraulic pressure to hold the car up, which probably not so good. Thoughts please…
Raise jacks to highest, block under tires, then drop jacks to locking point.
Do not trust hydraulic/ hoses.
Some members have had issues with them leaking.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
From what was said to do in 1980 to now a lot has changed. I have been doing the KISS method for over 20 years. I try to run the tank about empty because there is a good chance the fuel will lose octane sitting all winter so if you fill it you have a tank of junk gas you have to burn out. I also take the battery out of the car and bring it in the house. Cold weather wreaks havoc on a battery. Having tires filled to 40psi or so isn't a bad idea but I know I don't always do that. That is it

OP
Old Mopar Guy

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
Thread Starter #4
Raise jacks to highest, block under tires, then drop jacks to locking point.
Do not trust hydraulic/ hoses.
Some members have had issues with them leaking.
I don’t have blocks and I do recall a few guys having issues with couplings leaking. So then Hunter, you’re in the don’t let the suspension sit at full droop camp?

Hunter

9000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I don’t have blocks and I do recall a few guys having issues with couplings leaking. So then Hunter, you’re in the don’t let the suspension sit at full droop camp?
Not sure if it would hurt or not, but taking some of the weight off "the full droop" would relieve some of the pressure off the bushings, wouldn't it?

OP
Old Mopar Guy

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
Thread Starter #6
^ And struts too.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I've had mine throw codes after being up on my Quickjack, but I also was doing things with the ignition and/or independently blocking wheels for various suspension bolt removal reasons. B11 if I recall correctly, clears out just fine.

Never had an issue just raising and then lowering.

And I'm not aware of a mechanical issue, only software under certain conditions (not saying that there couldn't be an issue??)

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I saw the pics you posted, that looks like the shorter 5000 series lift.

Maybe, maybe not a real issue, but I got the longer 7000 series lift for as much reason as to be able to reach further out along the unibody and better distribute the load.

Not much option for you other than upgrading, but just food for thought.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
... to be able to reach further out along the unibody and better distribute the load.
That would be my main concern. The car was built to be supported by the tires, not closer to the center.
Temporarily lifting it up to work on it won't make it go bananas (so to speak), but over time I'd think it could deform a bit.

OP
Old Mopar Guy

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
Thread Starter #10
No Bull, it’s the 7000tlx I believe. I went with the heavier duty unit. I position it biased towards the front.

covidcommander

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clementon
State
NJ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger
From what was said to do in 1980 to now a lot has changed. I have been doing the KISS method for over 20 years. I try to run the tank about empty because there is a good chance the fuel will lose octane sitting all winter so if you fill it you have a tank of junk gas you have to burn out. I also take the battery out of the car and bring it in the house. Cold weather wreaks havoc on a battery. Having tires filled to 40psi or so isn't a bad idea but I know I don't always do that. That is it
Didn't know it looses octane...

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
It does.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Didn't know it looses octane...
I bought race gas years ago that was in plastic containers. I blew head gaskets a couple of times with it. Bought some gas that was in a drum and no issues. I always questioned fuel stored in plastic for awhile.

2ndAmend

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seacoast
State
NH
Country
United States
Vehicle
20HCM6 22RENBS2
When I was younger (under 65) I was OC. Now, every day I tell myself “don’t over think it”. It is shocking how well things come out even under the worst circumstances.

If you keep your car for 30 years and never do anything to mitigate storage problems, I’ll bet you will never know the difference. And if you did, spending a few $ on parts at that point probably will not bother you, and it might even entertain you to do some maintenance. :)

If you race, just run out the old gas before going to the track. :)

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
I bought race gas years ago that was in plastic containers. I blew head gaskets a couple of times with it. Bought some gas that was in a drum and no issues. I always questioned fuel stored in plastic for awhile.
The key to keep it usable longer is well sealed containers, regardless of the material. But gas with ethanol can still stratify over time if not treated.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
I can’t think of a benefit of storing it in the air other than potentially avoiding flat spotting the tires.
If you were to buy new suspension components… are they snugged up with a strap or full droop?

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I can’t think of a benefit of storing it in the air other than potentially avoiding flat spotting the tires.
If you were to buy new suspension components… are they snugged up with a strap or full droop?
For the past 5 years I have been storing my Viper on my 2 post lift...with my HC underneath...never had an issue...

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
For the past 5 years I have been storing my Viper on my 2 post lift...with my HC underneath...never had an issue...
You’re not alone. A lot of “projects” don’t touch the ground for years, lol.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
So if a spring is extended versus compressed, for a few weeks or months, some believe they deform? Would this potential deformation be better extended? Rather than compressing it forever? I would rather my springs are in the extended position rather than compressing it myself.

If a bushing is in a #1 position versus a #2 position, it matters? The shock absorber is not working regardless if it is compressed or extended for storage.

Idoru99

Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Springfield
State
VA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Challenger Redeye WB
Re: storing gas

is it ok to store E85 (E75 as tested) over the winter in plastic race jugs? or should I give it to a flexfuel driver and get new in the spring?