Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

S-Class vs Charger

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Just saw something that reminded me of the further lackings of my Charger HC. As some may be aware, I owned a MB S-Class for awhile and was impressed with the the thought and engineering of the car (less so with the reliability and cost of ownership over the long term). The original top gear guys made a statement once that I agree with: when you see something on the S you know that in 8 to 10 years it'll be standard on many other top line cars. Took a look at the latest iteration of the S and saw that the not only are the drivers seat and steering wheel heated, but also the DOOR, and the CENTER CONSOLE. I had to chuckle at this. It's a logical progression and I'm sure people will pay for it, but while I had thought of it, i'd have never put it into production myself. Seems a little much to me, but then I'm not the rolling the dough kind of folks buying designer dog food.

Any of you money bags want to supply me with the new S-Class for a month, I'll write up a good report for us all here and in the magazine.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
There have been times as I've been driving the DSRT in zero degree weather that I had thoughts about the shifter being heated to go along with the steering wheel, but that's where I'd draw the line.

I don't even care for the heated seats (cooled is something else altogether), but I love the heated steering wheel!

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
Just saw something that reminded me of the further lackings of my Charger HC. As some may be aware, I owned a MB S-Class for awhile and was impressed with the the thought and engineering of the car (less so with the reliability and cost of ownership over the long term). The original top gear guys made a statement once that I agree with: when you see something on the S you know that in 8 to 10 years it'll be standard on many other top line cars. Took a look at the latest iteration of the S and saw that the not only are the drivers seat and steering wheel heated, but also the DOOR, and the CENTER CONSOLE. I had to chuckle at this. It's a logical progression and I'm sure people will pay for it, but while I had thought of it, i'd have never put it into production myself. Seems a little much to me, but then I'm not the rolling the dough kind of folks buying designer dog food.

Any of you money bags want to supply me with the new S-Class for a month, I'll write up a good report for us all here and in the magazine.
it's not just the S class it's all german cars, it just usually trickles down from the A8/S class/7 series and down to the lower models and then 8-10 years later everybody else gets it.

The new A8 has a feature where if it detects side impact it literally lifts that side of the car to make sure the car doesn't roll and takes less impact and distributes itself evenly, the s class has its speakers emit noises to offset the impact of a crash so you don't blow out ear drums, the 7 series has had remote parking for a while... before that stupid Hyundai commercial lol.

Germans are hands down the best in tech, look what the m5 and e63 are implementing, awd with the ability to completely disconnect the front axle and go full rwd, I would love for that sort of technology to be implemented in the Srt lineup as it would effectively end the debate of whether the charger and challenger can handle winter.

Also German cars reliability sucks and it's costly asf to own them out of warranty, but you already know this.

site note: heated arm rests are all over the bmw lineup and mb lineup as well.

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #4
I liked the attention to detail. Over 60 mph the car lowered itself a half an inch for improved aerodynamics. And build quality? A Ford F-250 pick up rearended me and had to be towed away. I had a cracked right tail light and a small dent in the trunk lid. And that was 20 years ago.

EDIT: also what I found impressive, that tank had the lowest drag coefficient of any production vehicle up to that time. And even with a 300 HP V8 (not bad for the time) the 5 speed trans could result in highway cruise mileage of 26+ MPG.

Last edited:
OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #5

I'm not buying until the have the heated headliner and headrest.

sad

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bartlesville
State
OK
Country
United States
I’ve said many times I want a heated gear lever.

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
I liked the attention to detail. Over 60 mph the car lowered itself a half an inch for improved aerodynamics. And build quality? A Ford F-250 pick up rearended me and had to be towed away. I had a cracked right tail light and a small dent in the trunk lid. And that was 20 years ago.

EDIT: also what I found impressive, that tank had the lowest drag coefficient of any production vehicle up to that time. And even with a 300 HP V8 (not bad for the time) the 5 speed trans could result in highway cruise mileage of 26+ MPG.
the attention to detail is awesome, air suspension well thats a whole other debacle. yeah our 04 e55 (stil have it, 62k miles) has rain sensing wipers, adaptive cruise control, panoramic roof, front/rear parking sensors, massaging seats, cooled seats, etc etc and it's almost 16 years old ffs. Mercedes is just way ahead of their time, oh and with a pulley and tune the car does 0-60 as fast if not faster than a 15 year newer scat pack.

Chevyave

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Allen
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Redeye, 20 Charger Hellcat, 21 DDHC
By no means am I a rich guy, but I have owned several S-classes over the years and still have a 2006 S65. The key to owning any of those cars is to purchase them 3-5 years old, especially if you don't mind turning wrenches yourself because they are fun to work on because the quality of materials and fasteners are actually meant to be taken apart and reassembled. The other cool thing about MB is they continue to manufacture factory replacement parts 10-15-20 years down the road. That is something domestic manufactures should adopt as well. The 2015 S550 I had included the cold weather package with a heated steering wheel, center console, both front and rear door panels and rear seat center arm rest. The interior was stunning with endless seating adjustments and message controls as well. The only reason I sold that car was the lack of torque the smaller bi-turbo V8s have. My goal is to get a 2019 S65 5-7 years from now when a low mileage version can be purchased for 60-70K. One hell of a car for that kind of money with speed and power almost on par with a Hellcat.

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
By no means am I a rich guy, but I have owned several S-classes over the years and still have a 2006 S65. The key to owning any of those cars is to purchase them 3-5 years old, especially if you don't mind turning wrenches yourself because they are fun to work on because the quality of materials and fasteners are actually meant to be taken apart and reassembled. The other cool thing about MB is they continue to manufacture factory replacement parts 10-15-20 years down the road. That is something domestic manufactures should adopt as well. The 2015 S550 I had included the cold weather package with a heated steering wheel, center console, both front and rear door panels and rear seat center arm rest. The interior was stunning with endless seating adjustments and message controls as well. The only reason I sold that car was the lack of torque the smaller bi-turbo V8s have. My goal is to get a 2019 S65 5-7 years from now when a low mileage version can be purchased for 60-70K. One hell of a car for that kind of money with speed and power almost on par with a Hellcat.
why not s63? it's lighter and faster + since it's the same engine in the cls and E it's more mod-able. You could turn 700 hp out of the 5.5 or 4.0 for 3-6k depending on the engine and tuner i.e ams, renntech, brabus, etc etc.

Chevyave

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Allen
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Redeye, 20 Charger Hellcat, 21 DDHC
No doubt you can make a S63 as fast if not faster than an S65. The difference is the V12 in the S65 has instant torque everywhere. Drive them back to back and the difference is very obvious. Eurocharged and Renntech also have performance packages for the S65 and if you really want to get crazy and don't mind setting your money on fire it can be pushed over 1000 hp with larger turbos. My 2006 S65 has a Eurocharged tune and it has roughly 670 Hp and 815 ft-lbs of torque. Stupid fast limousine and there are still low mileage versions out there for under 25K. In my opinion they are the best performance car value period if you are not afraid to work on your own cars.

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #11
You reminded me of something. I loved working on it too mainly because it had the oil filter on the top front and center of the engine. I could change the oil standing up with a pump, and the high quality german made filters were stupidly cheap (like $2 each, you can give them away as party favors). Also, the S had a switch on the rear seat controls (on the door) that allowed the right rear passenger to control the front passsenger seat (so the patron could move it up if it was in his way while the chauffeur was otherwise focused on driving. Had some fun with that.

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
No doubt you can make a S63 as fast if not faster than an S65. The difference is the V12 in the S65 has instant torque everywhere. Drive them back to back and the difference is very obvious. Eurocharged and Renntech also have performance packages for the S65 and if you really want to get crazy and don't mind setting your money on fire it can be pushed over 1000 hp with larger turbos. My 2006 S65 has a Eurocharged tune and it has roughly 670 Hp and 815 ft-lbs of torque. Stupid fast limousine and there are still low mileage versions out there for under 25K. In my opinion they are the best performance car value period if you are not afraid to work on your own cars.
04 e55 bought brand new now has 62k miles, pulley, tune, intake, no more stock intercooler, secondary cat delete, c63 mufflers, X pipe. fuel injectors n more goodies makes 600 hp.

on stock tires low to mid 11s(think 11.3/11.4 on a good launch) on dr's betting I can slip into 10s(others have done it)

Stock the s63 has always been faster, the 65's massive v12 adds too much weight for the hp/torque to offset it. But yeah nothing like a v12 the car just feels different I agree. yeah some of those packages are massive overcharges but those companies are definitely the best in the business.

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
You reminded me of something. I loved working on it too mainly because it had the oil filter on the top front and center of the engine. I could change the oil standing up with a pump, and the high quality german made filters were stupidly cheap (like $2 each, you can give them away as party favors). Also, the S had a switch on the rear seat controls (on the door) that allowed the right rear passenger to control the front passsenger seat (so the patron could move it up if it was in his way while the chauffeur was otherwise focused on driving. Had some fun with that.
the new 7 series and S classes equipped with the "executive rear seating" also ger a footrest on the passenger seat as well as massage, cooled, etc etc.

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #14
Fancy_Sandals.jpg

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
My wife's family has had a lot of Mercedes Benzes around, down to a SL550 and S550 now, both are older. I like them, always have, I've never paid the large repair bills on them though LOL. Weird, quirky things seem to want to go wrong with them.

I recently got to drive around a new SL63s AMG for a morning, the active bolsters in the seats are really really weird. First time I felt them I was like what the hell!?! Then I realized it was intentional... They could just put more supportive seats in them. It was fast yeah, but definitely not a Hallcat. Super attractive car though.

Last edited:

why2kmax

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
12 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shrewsbury
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Indigo Blue Hellcat
You want over the top? Sit in and/or drive a new bentley continental GT or a new Aston Martin DB11. I had the opportunity to do both with each car and the level of detail, luxury, quality, performance interior ammenities and customization is paralyzingly mind boggling. The Bentley was a W12 AWD and it reminded me of the HC but with zeeeeroooww traction issues. Yeah its a heavy car but you dont feel the weight. It was surprisingly nimble and quick. The Aston was music to my ears, a little more edgy and fun to drive but no less incredible in the interior dept. They make MB AMG and BMW M series cars look and feel like bargain basement Hondas and Toyotas. Granted these are next level cars and should seperate themselves for the price, for chrissakes EACH of those cars were nearly the same price as the HOUSE I live in. It s just amazing to me what can be done with the will and $$ to do it. Still enjoyed driving my tupperware dash'd 1320 home even without the swarovsky crystal headlight reflectors and start button or the heated and cooled center console and armrests.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
I liked the attention to detail. Over 60 mph the car lowered itself a half an inch for improved aerodynamics....
My ‘14 JGC Overland does that. (At 45 mph, I think)

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
You want over the top? Sit in and/or drive a new bentley continental GT or a new Aston Martin DB11. I had the opportunity to do both with each car and the level of detail, luxury, quality, performance interior ammenities and customization is paralyzingly mind boggling. The Bentley was a W12 AWD and it reminded me of the HC but with zeeeeroooww traction issues. Yeah its a heavy car but you dont feel the weight. It was surprisingly nimble and quick. The Aston was music to my ears, a little more edgy and fun to drive but no less incredible in the interior dept. They make MB AMG and BMW M series cars look and feel like bargain basement Hondas and Toyotas. Granted these are next level cars and should seperate themselves for the price, for chrissakes EACH of those cars were nearly the same price as the HOUSE I live in. It s just amazing to me what can be done with the will and $$ to do it. Still enjoyed driving my tupperware dash'd 1320 home even without the swarovsky crystal headlight reflectors and start button or the heated and cooled center console and armrests.
AM has some sweet lease deals going on, $1699/mo 10k miles per year. Insurance would probably kill me as would parking the thing. it's on the vantage.

Phizzle

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Francisco
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger Hellcat
Saw a Bentley Supersport curb a rear wheel pulling into a McDonalds a few weeks ago. Not gonna lie, my heart skipped a beat.

Best part, owner could give two shits. Proceeded right on into that drive through.