Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Road force balance for drag racing set up.

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
Is there an advantage to getting a road force balance done on drag radials? I have a set of Sportsman S/R coming in 28x6x18" for the front RaceStars and was wondering if a road force balance would be advantageous compared to a non road force balance? Also would it make sense to get my drag radials in the rear rebalanced using a road force balance or just rock them as is till they are done and do a road force balance with the next set? I know drag radials are hard to balance because the side wall is significantly weaker so I don't want to tweak anything if I don't have to.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
It takes energy to make a tire bounce, so the smoother it rolls the less power you waste.
Not that I've tried, but an inner tube could probably be road force balanced, if there's enough pressure in it.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
Balance the bare rim, use black stick on weights, add tire, check balance, add weight if needed, use different color weights like silver or white, mark tire at valve stem. If tire spins on rim and starts to shake move white weights to match distance tire rotated and it should be back in balance.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Balance the bare rim, use black stick on weights, add tire, check balance, add weight if needed, use different color weights like silver or white, mark tire at valve stem. If tire spins on rim and starts to shake move white weights to match distance tire rotated and it should be back in balance.

This is either complete genius or unreasonably tedious...

:unsure::unsure::unsure:

OP
fumanchu182

fumanchu182

3000 Posts Club
Vendor
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Pasadena
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat
Thread Starter #5
This is either complete genius or unreasonably tedious...

:unsure::unsure::unsure:
Complete genius and tedious. Since I don't have the machine I'm just going to find a shop that does road force balance... There's one near me, tires should be here today. Woot woot!

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
You only have to balance the bare rim once, subsequent tires will then just mount and balance like normal. If the tire spins on the rim road force or any type of balance will just be a waste of money. Some shops if their not out to just take your money will tell you road force balance is not needed on certain types of tires, a drag tire bring one of them I believe.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Rochester
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Challenger Hellcat Redeye NB
Which one of our supporting vendors sell rims with drag radial tire combos where they balance just the rim first without making a special request? And does anyone else offer it?