Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Report: Ford Might Ask Dealers to Install Chips in Unfinished Cars

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
Ford has been building vehicles without the semiconductor chips, but lots are filling up and the company is now reportedly considering sending unfinished vehicles to dealers.

Ford is considering a new plan to alleviate the buildup of unfinished vehicles sitting in lots across the country as a result of the global semiconductor chip shortage. According to Automotive News, Ford is currently debating a proposal to ship vehicles that are still missing the chips to dealerships, shifting the onus for installing the chips—once supplies are replenished—onto the dealers. Ford has been manufacturing vehicles without the semiconductors and storing them in lots in several states, only sending them to dealerships once fresh stock arrived. However, the lots are filling up and Ford needs to make room so it can keep its factories running.
Unfinished vehicles would only be sent to dealerships that opt into the plan, and service technicians at these locations would receive training for installing the chips, AN reported. The plan would also involve compensating dealers for just under an hour’s worth of labor per vehicle. It is not known whether the dealers would be accountable for the vehicles while they are parked in their lots awaiting the parts, or whether they would still be Ford’s responsibility.

Automotive News said it spoke to four people with knowledge of the plan who wished to remain anonymous. The publication also talked to dealerships, with some expressing apprehension over taking on the responsibility, and possible liability, of the unfinished cars, while others approved of the idea since the vehicles will help fill their barren lots.

In a statement to Car and Driver, a Ford spokesperson called the reports premature and said, “We are exploring a number of different options as we work to get our customers and dealers their new vehicles as quickly as possible.”

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Does not sound tough. They need to snap in a few computer modules?

MJS73

2000 Posts Club
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moparland
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat
Why not just sell them through Ikea?

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
I’ll store a few for them, just let me pick which ones and for how long.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I would think my local dealer would go for it, his new car lot & storage area is empty to the point it looks like he is going out of business.
They are parking what little inventory they have along the front of the lot with the sides facing the street & they can barely cover that !

Used car lot seems to have the usual amount of cars tho.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
Car salesmen that I talk to regularly constantly talk about shortages… but every single lot that I drive by is full.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Resurrecting this. Dealers installing the chips. I am sure there is no chance of anything going wrong w that at all. It will be flawless.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
What occurs to me is the logistics of the thing as a whole...

No longer can the cars be loaded/unloaded as before (running condition). Then there's the issue of final test that would normally happen on the dyno at the end of the line? And I'm sure there's more that isn't occurring to me at the moment.

Dealerships can barely accomplish an oil change without jacking it up, now they're going to do final assembly and test?

Good luck.

Piening2150

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Toledo
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger Daytona 392
What occurs to me is the logistics of the thing as a whole...

No longer can the cars be loaded/unloaded as before (running condition). Then there's the issue of final test that would normally happen on the dyno at the end of the line? And I'm sure there's more that isn't occurring to me at the moment.

Dealerships can barely accomplish an oil change without jacking it up, now they're going to do final assembly and test?

Good luck.
They're built drivable (or they couldn't get them off the line). Just missing ancillary stuff like blind spot monitor, back up cam, audio, etc. They don't dyno test at the end of the line (but they do run them up to speed on rollers at one point). They also have a NVH test loop outside (at least the plants I'm familiar with).

Still, the logistics of sending parts all over the country (and probably different bits for different vehicles depending on the shortage of the day while building) versus sending it all to the assembly plants....😵‍💫

And your very valid point of inept dealership techs....😬

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
They're built drivable (or they couldn't get them off the line). Just missing ancillary stuff like blind spot monitor, back up cam, audio, etc. They don't dyno test at the end of the line (but they do run them up to speed on rollers at one point). They also have a NVH test loop outside (at least the plants I'm familiar with).

Still, the logistics of sending parts all over the country (and probably different bits for different vehicles depending on the shortage of the day while building) versus sending it all to the assembly plants....😵‍💫

And your very valid point of inept dealership techs....😬

The rollers is what I meant by "Dyno"

Mike L.

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Yorba Linda
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger Hellcat A8
I live down the street from a big Ford dealer. I can buy all kinds of new cars and truck which they have on their lot. Except a new Ford. They don't have any.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle