Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Pay to play my A$$

MRmagoo

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Chi
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 charger
The lease on my 17 charger is coming up, so I did some number crunching online using leashackr.com, costcoauto.com and Edmunds lease questions. The results of all that number crunching having me feeling bitter.

Cons:
No Max Steel
No Destroyer Gray
Same damn car with wider hips for $400 more (monthly)
Higher ins

Pros:
Crickets

I feel conned and lucky at the same time. Conned because I naively expected to be in a new hellcat come july/august with a modest price increase. I feel lucky that I jumped when dodge had decent lease deals on these cars and fortunate I drove her all year round here in the Midwest. I still enjoy putting my foot up her ass and hearing her supercharger scream or watching my 3 year old jump as he walks past the car and I rev the engine.

I thought about a new widebody scat challenger, same price I'm paying for the hellcat with two less doors. I need the space for my family. Maybe I'll wait and go the used route, but that never appealed to me.

I could pony up more cash and go with an suv or truck, but I've been leery of those ever since I almost flipped a tundra turning at a high rate of speed.

In the end I'll probably end up paying to play, I just can't see me going back to a sensible car.

I'm wondering is there anyone else out there in a similar situation and if so what are you planning on doing?

WhipCat

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
In the Jungle
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I bought a used 2017 challenger hellcat in 2017 with 4000 miles for 56k.

they made allot of Hellcat’s, and there are plenty of deals out there for them. They are all over the place.
Open the search radius up on the listings and see what’s out there. Sick deals to be had.

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
The results of all that number crunching having me feeling bitter.
Why?

Hunter

9000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
The lease on my 17 charger is coming up, so I did some number crunching online using leashackr.com, costcoauto.com and Edmunds lease questions. The results of all that number crunching having me feeling bitter.

Cons:
No Max Steel
No Destroyer Gray
Higher ins

Pros:
Crickets

I feel conned and lucky at the same time. Conned because I naively expected to be in a new hellcat come july/august with a modest price increase. I feel lucky that I jumped when dodge had decent lease deals on these cars and fortunate I drove her all year round here in the Midwest. I still enjoy putting my foot up her ass and hearing her supercharger scream or watching my 3 year old jump as he walks past the car and I rev the engine.

I thought about a new widebody scat challenger, same price I'm paying for the hellcat with two less doors. I need the space for my family. Maybe I'll wait and go the used route, but that never appealed to me.

I could pony up more cash and go with an suv or truck, but I've been leery of those ever since I almost flipped a tundra turning at a high rate of speed.

In the end I'll probably end up paying to play, I just can't see me going back to a sensible car.

I'm wondering is there anyone else out there in a similar situation and if so what are you planning on doing?
Koons has bare bones 19's for 52.

tkracing1

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bay Area
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger

Cons:
No Max Steel
No Destroyer Gray
Higher ins

Pros:
Crickets

Let's see what the lease incentives are for March. I should have them Monday morning. Also interested to see if the power incentive will still be there.

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
They were still advertising the power incentive on TV last night

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
Let's see what the lease incentives are for March. I should have them Monday morning. Also interested to see if the power incentive will still be there.
there's no way I can see the wb charger being anything but overpriced until next year.

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat

Cons:
No Max Steel
No Destroyer Gray
Higher ins

Pros:
Crickets

Assuming you lease it at $650? +400 =1050.

if you are going to lease a car for 1050 don't go charger wb, just go get an m5 it's better car for the money and before others jump in the car makes close to 700 hp in real life, has awd with full time rwd capabilities, better tech better interior, the only real problem you're going to have is that v8 is nowhere near as loud as the hellcat so downpipes and resonator delete will probably have to be done.

This is my consensus as I'm in the same boat as you in terms of lease ending this year.

Now if you like the car and wanna hold onto it buying it out is an interesting concept or even getting power dollars + invoice/holdback would net you 10k+ off sticker and probably put you where you want to be at in terms of payment.

Also buying used is an option as well. At the end of the day it comes down to do you like the car for what you're paying or do you like the car whether it was double the payment. For me as much as I love the car leasing a charger for $1k+ a month is insanely stupid with what else is out there, widebody redeye at $1k though?? maybe.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
I leased mine at 0%, $604 a month. coming up pretty quick. conflicted about buying the car or throwing it to the wind. I've been looking nationally and I think the purchase price that was negotiated at the time of the lease (~$43,000) was a good one. Most of the used Charger HC's I'm seeing on the market are much higher than that, or if not, are for 16s or 17s with higher mileage (and you never know how it was treated). I'd love to pick up a GT500 (a new corvette won't work for me) but cannot realistically afford one. So, it'll likely be the Charger HC in the drive way or nothing. Honestly, I'll probably buy the car, and I'd like to go ape with it now that it's "owned" but I'm so far from quality HC specific experienced shops that that probably won't really work either. Maybe better to get rid of it.

I'm conflicted. Like watching Vladimir Putin backing off a cilff in my new Lamborghini.

OP
MRmagoo

MRmagoo

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Chi
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 charger
Thread Starter #10
I would have to pay $400 more per month for basically the same car (a car whose upgrades don't warrant that big of an increase imo) three years later...if I opt to lease another charger hellcat

OP
MRmagoo

MRmagoo

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Chi
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 charger
Thread Starter #11
I bought a used 2017 challenger hellcat in 2017 with 4000 miles for 56k.

they made allot of Hellcat’s, and there are plenty of deals out there for them. They are all over the place.
Open the search radius up on the listings and see what’s out there. Sick deals to be had.
I'll be looking...I have been looking at used trackhawks but they don't speak to me like the charger did before I bought it...I'm thinking I need to test drive my choices and suffer through the salesmens' spiel.

The TRX is speaking to me though!

Tannehill

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
New castle
State
DE
Country
United States
Did a recent search on 2020 models in the country for both cars. Not many! Leads me to start thinking 2020 will be a low build year and to NOT expect power dollars on 2020s come summer.

It's really the only way Dodge can correct course on people not paying invoice-MSRP on HCs (sell out 2019s, limit 2020 prod. thereafter).

OP
MRmagoo

MRmagoo

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Chi
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 charger
Thread Starter #13
Assuming you lease it at $650? +400 =1050.

if you are going to lease a car for 1050 don't go charger wb, just go get an m5 it's better car for the money and before others jump in the car makes close to 700 hp in real life, has awd with full time rwd capabilities, better tech better interior, the only real problem you're going to have is that v8 is nowhere near as loud as the hellcat so downpipes and resonator delete will probably have to be done.
I didn't think an M5 (not M550 right) could be had for just over $1000...

Last edited:
OP
MRmagoo

MRmagoo

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Chi
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 charger
Thread Starter #14
The power incentives are for purchases not leases right?

tkracing1

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bay Area
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger
The power incentives are for purchases not leases right?
Yes they are for a purchase and not a lease. I actually thought you had a Challenger not a Charger so incentives won't be for a while on the WB. I am in the same boat and my lease is up in November. I will owe $42k but I will let it go and just lease another one when the RE leases are incentivized.

OP
MRmagoo

MRmagoo

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Chi
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 charger
Thread Starter #16
Yes they are for a purchase and not a lease. I actually thought you had a Challenger not a Charger so incentives won't be for a while on the WB. I am in the same boat and my lease is up in November. I will owe $42k but I will let it go and just lease another one when the RE leases are incentivized.
You think they will incentivize RE leases?

tkracing1

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bay Area
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger
You think they will incentivize RE leases?
At the beginning of last year they did for 1 month but no one in my area was honoring it because it was hot. I am hoping this year they do incentivize them but who knows.

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
New Car sales are slowing and used cars are accelerating which only means the give away new car deals are upon us. Patience will be to your advantage and I have relationships with many new car dealers. They are strategizing to sell more used cars to make up their low new car sales as we speak. And their are a lot of articles staring to pop up on new car sales have finally hit a big bump.

2pac

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
philadelphia
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 charger hellcat
I didn't think an M5 (not M550 right) could be had for just over $1000...
m5 base can be had for just over 1k on a demo or if your states lease taxes are low, 2021 will be a refresh for the m5 so look to see some good deals on the 2020 towards the end of this year or next march.

I just picked up an f150 platinum so I'll be waiting for the next year either on a 2020 m5 or for the charger wb to become reasonable to lease.

Also m550 is a $650 a month car, performance is solid for a car of its stature but it's like comparing a 392 to a hellcat, there's just a lot more oomph on the top trim.

tkracing1

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bay Area
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger
m5 base can be had for just over 1k on a demo or if your states lease taxes are low, 2021 will be a refresh for the m5 so look to see some good deals on the 2020 towards the end of this year or next march.

I just picked up an f150 platinum so I'll be waiting for the next year either on a 2020 m5 or for the charger wb to become reasonable to lease.

Also m550 is a $650 a month car, performance is solid for a car of its stature but it's like comparing a 392 to a hellcat, there's just a lot more oomph on the top trim.
How do you like your Ford? i just picked up a 2020 GMC AT4 on a good lease deal. I needed something for work and the deal was pretty good so I jumped on it.