Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

OLD MEN..GREY BEARDS..AND PARTS COUNTERS

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Well over the weekend I decided I'd had enough...I drive my HC for a couple of hours...then spend an hour cleaning brake dust. every time, I've had it ...So I made the decision I was going to change to power stops....I go to autozone and some pimply face kid that looked twelve asked if he could help...Had no idea what I was talking about..tried Napa...NAPA was NADA...last stop,tried Advanced auto...same thing...all young kids...No one even could tell me where to source them..2 outta the three never even heard of em...So as not to make the day a total loss I ask the kid at advanced for 4 autolight 65 spark plugs..( one of my forklifts at work eats em like M&M's)...the kid leads out with...what are they for??? I knew where this was goin..so I obliged ..an 83 Clarklift I tell him..after 2 minutes of him clackin away on his computer...he says...I cant find it...cant find what I ask...the info on the Clarklift the kid says....I reply I don't want the info...I want the plugs..(at this point i'm becoming dumber than the kid, and I should know better)..He says I don't know if we have them..or where they might be if the computer doesn't tell me...I reply how bout lookin where the spark plugs are and I bet there with the autolights….he disappears for what seemed like an eternity..(maybe 5 min)..and asks...would you know them if you saw them?...I said I aint lookin for a missing cat you melon head...So back to the office...I stop at this part store that's been there forever.(you've seen them..stuff that don't sell is covered with dust and faded)..A bald guy with a grey beard comes out...I bark 4 autolight 65"s..hes back in ten seconds with the plugs..and I bust out laughing...we shot the shit about the state of things in general..he said parts guys (kids) today in the big three, even the Dealerships dont know anything..there robots...your only hope...find a guy with a bald head and a grey beard...he'll know where everything is in the store...P.S...I never got the brake pads...So where's the quickest place to source Powerstop pads for MY 16 HC..and if anybody has a part # for them...cause that will be the next thing I f*ck up....

Last edited:
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fishers
State
IN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Charger Hellcat
Try Rockauto.com

Power Stop Z26s. Suggest both axles...

OP
1971demon

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Thread Starter #3
Try Rockauto.com

Power Stop Z26s. Suggest both axles...
The car is up on a lift and the wheels are off...don't really care whose the cheapest..just want them like yesterday...and yeah all four wheels are getting it...thanks for the heads up

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
I'm lucky I have a auto parts store where the guy is 3rd generation and is awesome . I have his cell number and just call or text him what I want and he text me when it's in . He even let's me in the back to look for parts for my custom projects .

But I have seen those parts stores ( other stores too) a lot of kids look like they are brain dead or something.

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

jgilj

1000 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Brooksville
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
21 Challenger Super Stock
Well over the weekend I decided I'd had enough...I drive my HC for a couple of hours...then spend an hour cleaning brake dust. every time, I've had it ...So I made the decision I was going to change to power stops....I go to autozone and some pimply face kid that looked twelve asked if he could help...Had no idea what I was talking about..tried Napa...NAPA was NADA...last stop,tried Advanced auto...same thing...all young kids...No one even could tell me where to source them..2 outta the three never even heard of em...So as not to make the day a total loss I ask the kid at advanced for 4 autolight 65 spark plugs..( one of my forklifts at work eats em like M&M's)...the kid leads out with...what are they for??? I knew where this was goin..so I obliged ..an 83 Clarklift I tell him..after 2 minutes of him clackin away on his computer...he says...I cant find it...cant find what I ask...the info on the Clarklift the kid says....I reply I don't want the info...I want the plugs..(at this point i'm becoming dumber than the kid, and I should know better)..He says I don't know if we have them..or where they might be if the computer doesn't tell me...I reply how bout lookin where the spark plugs are and I bet there with the autolights….he disappears for what seemed light an eternity..(maybe 5 min)..and asks...would you know them if you saw them?...I said I aint lookin for a missing cat you melon head...So back to the office...I stop at this part store that's been there forever.(you've seen them..stuff that don't sell is covered with dust and faded)..A bald guy with a grey beard comes out...I bark 4 autolight 65"s..hes back in ten seconds with the plugs..and I bust out laughing...we shot the shit about the state of things in general..he said parts guys (kids) today in the big three, even the Dealerships dont know anything..there robots...your only hope...find a guy with a bald head and a grey beard...he'll know where everything is in the store...P.S...I never got the brake pads...So where's the quickest place to source Powerstop pads for MY 16 HC..and if anybody has a part # for them...cause that will be the next thing I f*ck up....
Damn your having some time ! Rockauto is where I got mine also and here’s a discount code 139204575118655721 and that’s that. John

tkracing1

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bay Area
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger
I got a set sitting in my garage I believe... let me check and see what I got.

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
Oh it ain’t easy getting old lol between the body talking to you and just like the movie Grumpy Old Men it’s a fact. And for sure Computers are the go to Idiots of the world since everyone relies on it. Back in the day 1982 I came out of High School and worked the parts counter and many other tasks as well. But learned very quickly you had to be smarter than the parts books. And can’t believe the idiots behind the parts counters these days since they just don’t get it. Uhm you have to be smarter than the computer but actually they are dumber than the computer.

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
Well over the weekend I decided I'd had enough...I drive my HC for a couple of hours...then spend an hour cleaning brake dust. every time, I've had it ...So I made the decision I was going to change to power stops....I go to autozone and some pimply face kid that looked twelve asked if he could help...Had no idea what I was talking about..tried Napa...NAPA was NADA...last stop,tried Advanced auto...same thing...all young kids...No one even could tell me where to source them..2 outta the three never even heard of em...So as not to make the day a total loss I ask the kid at advanced for 4 autolight 65 spark plugs..( one of my forklifts at work eats em like M&M's)...the kid leads out with...what are they for??? I knew where this was goin..so I obliged ..an 83 Clarklift I tell him..after 2 minutes of him clackin away on his computer...he says...I cant find it...cant find what I ask...the info on the Clarklift the kid says....I reply I don't want the info...I want the plugs..(at this point i'm becoming dumber than the kid, and I should know better)..He says I don't know if we have them..or where they might be if the computer doesn't tell me...I reply how bout lookin where the spark plugs are and I bet there with the autolights….he disappears for what seemed light an eternity..(maybe 5 min)..and asks...would you know them if you saw them?...I said I aint lookin for a missing cat you melon head...So back to the office...I stop at this part store that's been there forever.(you've seen them..stuff that don't sell is covered with dust and faded)..A bald guy with a grey beard comes out...I bark 4 autolight 65"s..hes back in ten seconds with the plugs..and I bust out laughing...we shot the shit about the state of things in general..he said parts guys (kids) today in the big three, even the Dealerships dont know anything..there robots...your only hope...find a guy with a bald head and a grey beard...he'll know where everything is in the store...P.S...I never got the brake pads...So where's the quickest place to source Powerstop pads for MY 16 HC..and if anybody has a part # for them...cause that will be the next thing I f*ck up....
I got mine on Amazon Prime with next day delivery.

tkracing1

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bay Area
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger
I have a set of the PWR Z23-1053 rear and PWR Z23-1405 fronts.

Image-1-24 copy 4.jpg
Image-1-24 copy 3.jpg

Mike L.

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Yorba Linda
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'16 Challenger Hellcat A8
Garbage in, garbage out.

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
Who says an old dog can’t teach a new dog tricks.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
I had a similar episode years ago in one of the chain stores in Calif. Told the kid to give me a certain number Autolite plug (didn't tell him that I was going to use them in my Harley), and the first thing he asks is what it's for. Now mind you, I'm standing at the counter, and right behind him are the plugs. I can see them. They are 3 feet beyond my reach on the other side of the counter. So I tell him, it doesn't matter, just give me 4 of these plugs. He says he needs to know what they are for so he can look them up. I told him the easiest way to look them up was to turn around and they would be staring him in the face. He looked at me perplexed. I told him to turn around and look at the shelf behind him and get me 4 of those plugs. So...he grabs them and puts them on the counter and asks me again what they're for. I tell him that I'm going to use them in my Harley, to which he answers that they don't sell motorcycle parts there and that I would need to go to a motorcycle parts place.
The last old guy with gray hair at my local place retired about 2 years ago. That guy had worked in that store for over 45 years.

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
Can you imagine asking him to take it up or down one heat range, he would still be looking or in a strait vest in a padded cell.

jroyk

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sketchy
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6

T_Trahan44

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Spokane Valley
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2012 Challenger SXT
Hey, now. I'm one of those young kids working in a parts store!

But I know what you mean with trying to find parts and people who know what you're talking about. I know for a fact, unless someone bought some recently, we've got 6 AutoLite 65s sitting on the shelf in the back.

It's a pain to deal with some of these youngsters in parts houses these days.

Diboblo

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Riverside
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat!
Years ago, I started to compile a list of automotive part numbers, for sundry items on my 1948 Indian Chief (i.e. distributor cap, points, plugs, fuel filter, etc.).

Even with the part numbers on hand, it was tedious at best, to walk into a parts store to get what I needed.

I finally gave up and stocked up, online. Computers don't care what it's for. Did the same thing for my other cars. I have my own personal parts store. LOL

Bob

OP
1971demon

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Thread Starter #17
I'm lucky I have a auto parts store where the guy is 3rd generation and is awesome . I have his cell number and just call or text him what I want and he text me when it's in . He even let's me in the back to look for parts for my custom projects .

But I have seen those parts stores ( other stores too) a lot of kids look like they are brain dead or something.

Man you stuck GOLD with that guy...that's better than knowin the lady that runs the whore house and gets you freebies twice a month...

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Man you stuck GOLD with that guy...that's better than knowin the lady that runs the whore house and gets you freebies twice a month...
That exactly what I thought too

OP
1971demon

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Thread Starter #19
I had a similar episode years ago in one of the chain stores in Calif. Told the kid to give me a certain number Autolite plug (didn't tell him that I was going to use them in my Harley), and the first thing he asks is what it's for. Now mind you, I'm standing at the counter, and right behind him are the plugs. I can see them. They are 3 feet beyond my reach on the other side of the counter. So I tell him, it doesn't matter, just give me 4 of these plugs. He says he needs to know what they are for so he can look them up. I told him the easiest way to look them up was to turn around and they would be staring him in the face. He looked at me perplexed. I told him to turn around and look at the shelf behind him and get me 4 of those plugs. So...he grabs them and puts them on the counter and asks me again what they're for. I tell him that I'm going to use them in my Harley, to which he answers that they don't sell motorcycle parts there and that I would need to go to a motorcycle parts place.
The last old guy with gray hair at my local place retired about 2 years ago. That guy had worked in that store for over 45 years.
I get it...its freakin crazy...first the kids aren't knowledgeable ..and the training they get is terrible...but what gets me the most is....they walk around the store all friggin day..you would think they would make mental notes as to where things are...Hell...I could teach a monkey to do that shit...:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

OP
1971demon

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Thread Starter #20
Damn your having some time ! Rockauto is where I got mine also and here’s a discount code 139204575118655721 and that’s that. John
Thanks for the help...tkracing1 has a full set...I'm gonna buy em from him...help him get rid of the clutter...thanks again though(y)(y)(y)