Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Oil Life Remaining Indicator

RedEye19FL

Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradenton
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 TorRed Challenger RedEye
Hi Folks. Quick question. I had a oil change done yesterday and noticed that the oil life remaining indicator in UConnect did not revert to 100%. Is this something that the technician needed to reset manually? Is it something I can do on my own? Thanks guys!!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Yep. Scroll through the center stack and you'll find the reset.

OP
RedEye19FL

RedEye19FL

Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradenton
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #3
Member ID
Reactions
City
Auburn Hills
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger SXT
Hi Folks. Quick question. I had a oil change done yesterday and noticed that the oil life remaining indicator in UConnect did not revert to 100%. Is this something that the technician needed to reset manually? Is it something I can do on my own? Thanks guys!!
Hi RedEye19FL, Per page 107 of your owners manual:
"1. Without pressing the brake pedal, push the ENGINE START/STOP button and place the ignition in the ON/RUN position (do not start the engine).
2. Push and release the down arrow button to scroll downward through the main menu to “Vehicle Info.”
3. Push and release the right arrow button to access the ”Oil Life” screen.
4. Push and hold the OK button to reset oil life. If conditions are met, the gauge and numeric display will update to show 100%. If conditions are not met a popup message of To reset oil life engine must be off with ignition in run will be displayed (for five seconds), and the user will remain at the Oil Life screen.
5. Push and release the up or down arrow button to exit the submenu screen."
Rob
DodgeCares

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Hey, no using the owners manual. That's cheating.

But speaking of, what I haven't found in the manual is how to make the radio station knob functional with the performance pages up on the screen.
Maybe not a question for you, Rob, since in the Challenger it works fine. This problem is in my Jeep.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
It sure is not date sensitive. Six months are up in theee weeks, and over 95% life is a bit misleading.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Same with my diesel Ram. It also should have a change every six months, for reasons nobody seems to be able to explain. But after almost a year and a half (I don't drive that one often) the indicator was still quite content.

Jungle Cat

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dracut
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Same with my diesel Ram. It also should have a change every six months, for reasons nobody seems to be able to explain. But after almost a year and a half (I don't drive that one often) the indicator was still quite content.
The reason for six month oil changes is condensation build up adding water to your oil. They are aware people beat the snot out of these cars and want oil in the Crankcase not water.

OP
RedEye19FL

RedEye19FL

Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradenton
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #9
Hi RedEye19FL, Per page 107 of your owners manual:
"1. Without pressing the brake pedal, push the ENGINE START/STOP button and place the ignition in the ON/RUN position (do not start the engine).
2. Push and release the down arrow button to scroll downward through the main menu to “Vehicle Info.”
3. Push and release the right arrow button to access the ”Oil Life” screen.
4. Push and hold the OK button to reset oil life. If conditions are met, the gauge and numeric display will update to show 100%. If conditions are not met a popup message of To reset oil life engine must be off with ignition in run will be displayed (for five seconds), and the user will remain at the Oil Life screen.
5. Push and release the up or down arrow button to exit the submenu screen."
Rob
DodgeCares
Thanks. Got it to work!!

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
The reason for six month oil changes is condensation build up adding water to your oil.
If that's the case, why doesn't all manufacturers demand short time intervals? Are Porsches immune to condensation, for example?

I would think that the primary reason for water contamination is not driving long/far enough for everything to get up to temp. And FCA's reason for the 6-month rule is most likely to increase dealership traffic.

Again, my Ram is supposed to have 6-month changes, but according to Cummins, one year is fine.
Does that mean Ram knows more about the engine than the manufacturer?

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
Wouldn't that water burn off once the oil temps get above 230* or so?
Anyway, mine is at 5%... but the lease is up in less than a month... I'm debating on parking the car for a bit :sneaky:

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Yes, getting the system warm enough burns the water off. That's why I hate cold starts, and when I do start a vehicle it gets driven until everything is up to temp, and then some, if at all possible.

At 5%? I'd either reset it or ignore it.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Auburn Hills
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger SXT
Thanks. Got it to work!!
Of course, RedEye19FL! Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions.
Rob
DodgeCares

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I sent oil off for analysis from my 4Runner after 18 months to Blackstone. Guess what, it was still good. 6 months my a$$.

Av8ing1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Marcos
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
My cat is up for oil change soon based on the oil life indicator. I'm like, already! I daily mine so I doubt water condensing issues are an issue (it gets fully warmed up and then some.) Maybe forced injection cars are subject to a lot more blow by that dirties the oil? I'll be changing it regardless cause she is my favorite toy but it does seem questionably silly.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
My cat is up for oil change soon based on the oil life indicator.
Dumb question maybe, but does that mean you're coming up on 6,000 miles, or is it just what the indicator has decided?

Av8ing1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
San Marcos
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Charger Hellcat
I am at 6,700 total miles and about 10% oil life remaining. Did my first oil change at 1k and reset the indicator.

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
The local dealership told me they would do documented oil changes for $16.50 if I brought my own oil and filter in.
While I feel these folks are less (way less) than proficient I have an 8 year 85000 bumper to bumper warranty and rail on this car relentlessly so just for the sake of preserving the warranty I am going to do this.
I usually change oil at 500 and 2k after that so this should work out.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
The local dealership told me they would do documented oil changes for $16.50 if I brought my own oil and filter in.
That is amazing. Less than 25 bucks an hour for a correctly performed oil change.

Decay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Astoria
State
OR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 widebody Redeye
That is amazing. Less than 25 bucks an hour for a correctly performed oil change.
I'm gonna want to be in attendance....
I don't trust these clowns at all.