Welcome to the #1 SRT Forum and SRT community dedicated to SRT owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Odd noise while car is shut off sitting in my garage

Jonnjohns

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Waynesboro
State
PA
Country
United States
Hello good people, I have a question about a really weird noise coming from my engine occasionally, after the car is shut off in my garage. It sounds like a high pitch squealing noise, somewhere in the area of the Supercharger but I cant quite pinpoint it. It makes the noise sorta quietly, for about 3-5 seconds, and then stops for approx 2-3 minutes, as then repeats. It happens when nothing is turned on or running, and as stated before, It sounds like it's coming from the SC area when I lean into the engine area and listen real close. I know that it's hard to troubleshoot a noise without hearing it but I am open for ideas and maybe someone has had this happen or heard of this issue. It's almost like a high pitch electronic squeal but real low in volume, and sorta like pressure releasing?. Please help, this is driving me crazy and if I take it to the dealer, it probably won't do it there. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

LonestarHellcat

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
TX
Country
United States
Is it more of an electric noise or from the pulley?

OP
J

Jonnjohns

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Waynesboro
State
PA
Country
United States
Thread Starter #3
Is is definitely electronic, it happens when everything is off.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

HellcatMike

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
MI
Country
United States
Dont worry, that's normal. It's the airvents opening and closing.

HarleyHetz

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
ARLINGTON
State
TN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Sublime Widebody Challenger Hellcat
Which air vents, because it does it on my 392 as well...

Hellcatcfp

500 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Simi Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
Are you talking about if you shut car off and say inside until cabin power shuts off? Mine sounds like a clunking sound as opposed to a squealing sound. Once you shut car off I open the door (to kill power) then shut door again...haven't heard that sound since I've done that procedure. Not sure what that sound is though?

HarleyHetz

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
ARLINGTON
State
TN
Country
United States
What I Drive
Are you talking about if you shut car off and say inside until cabin power shuts off? Mine sounds like a clunking sound as opposed to a squealing sound. Once you shut car off I open the door (to kill power) then shut door again...haven't heard that sound since I've done that procedure. Not sure what that sound is though?
I'm not, and I don't believe the OP was either. This is a whining sound that occurs after you shut the car off and get out. You can hear it outside the car. I have heard it while washing the vehicle. It sounds almost like air escaping from a small orifice...let the jokes start now...

Hellcatcfp

500 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Simi Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
I'm not, and I don't believe the OP was either. This is a whining sound that occurs after you shut the car off and get out. You can hear it outside the car. I have heard it while washing the vehicle. It sounds almost like air escaping from a small orifice...let the jokes start now...
Why yes. The one time I washed my HC with the engine hot...I started to hear a beep/chirping sound (very similar to some low battery beep/chirping from some devices). I thought it was something in my garage, but it was from HC engine. Haven't washed HC hot since then and haven't heard sound again

45-70govt

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Challenger Hellcat
As weird as it may be, I can hear a very high pitched sound from the headlights before they turn off.

HarleyHetz

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
ARLINGTON
State
TN
Country
United States
What I Drive
Why yes. The one time I washed my HC with the engine hot...I started to hear a beep/chirping sound (very similar to some low battery beep/chirping from some devices). I thought it was something in my garage, but it was from HC engine. Haven't washed HC hot since then and haven't heard sound again
Well, I wasn't washing the engine at the time, and it has happened several times, all with the hood closed...no biggie, it hasn't exploded yet...

HarleyHetz

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
ARLINGTON
State
TN
Country
United States
What I Drive
As weird as it may be, I can hear a very high pitched sound from the headlights before they turn off.
Do you have LED headlights? It may be the fan on the back of the lights that you are hearing...otherwise, I've no clue!! :unsure:

Hellcatcfp

500 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Simi Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
I leave early in the morning when the garage is dark...I love that sound when I open the door and everything comes to life. HC is getting ready for mayhem I guess? :devilish:

A day with that sound is a good day for me.

Confuzed1

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Hellcat Redeye Challenger Widebody
Could be coolant escaping from your radiator cap back to the coolant reservoir, which would be normal. Then as the engine cools down, the coolant gets sucked back into the radiator.....at least that might be the "air escaping" noise. The electronic noise?....don't know that one.

45-70govt

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Do you have LED headlights? It may be the fan on the back of the lights that you are hearing...otherwise, I've no clue!! :unsure:
Nope, just the stock lights.

2fast4u

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
ELKHART
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Challenger Hellcat Widebody
Did you have AC running?...sounds like you described are similar for the first couple of minutes as system equalizes.

Hellcatcfp

500 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Simi Valley
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
Ok, not joking. Got home after work and decided to wash my tires and a touch up wash. Did not get water in vents. Hour and a half later I go to put our trash cans out. Left car in sun and is 93+ degrees today...hear the pissssst sound. Not sure what it is but I never hear it when I get home and pop my hood up with fan on engine...which I normally do to keep garage from getting super hot. My bet is a heat dissapation thing...maybe A/C or coolant related as discussed above. Sure would like to know...curious now.