Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Nitto 555R2 in Rain?

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
How are these in the rain? I have a pair that I want to put on my Scat Pack. Since my wife drives it, I want her to be safe.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
@vortecd drove through a small snow storm with them and lived. He also daily’s them so I’d say they do pretty good

Idoru99

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dumfries
State
VA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Challenger Redeye WB
Got them on the rear of my redeye. The only time I've ever had a problem in the rain was on my way to ChallengerFest last year. Hit a really bad rain storm and rear end got really squirrelly at 60. Once I slowed down, the tires were able to push the water enough to be stable again.

If day they do pretty well. Still need to be careful, though.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #4
Got them on the rear of my redeye. The only time I've ever had a problem in the rain was on my way to ChallengerFest last year. Hit a really bad rain storm and rear end got really squirrelly at 60. Once I slowed down, the tires were able to push the water enough to be stable again.

If day they do pretty well. Still need to be careful, though.

We're in florida and get heavy rain almost daily in the summer. Maybe I'll stick with the oem tires.

Idoru99

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dumfries
State
VA
Country
United States
Vehicle
We're in florida and get heavy rain almost daily in the summer. Maybe I'll stick with the oem tires.
I lived in Orlando for a year and a half, could set my watch by the afternoon storm. The storm I drove through in September was much worse. Not sure how heavy your rain is, but there's possibly a reference for you.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #6
I lived in Orlando for a year and a half, could set my watch by the afternoon storm. The storm I drove through in September was much worse. Not sure how heavy your rain is, but there's possibly a reference for you.

We're an hour from orlando on the coast so it can get nasty.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I drove in a a really heavy storm on the 555r's and had no issues many years ago. The biggest thing is they don't start out with a lot of tread and when they get down they will not be as good. I was getting down there on my 1st set of 2's last summer I had to drive to Indy. I put a new set on to be safe incase of rain

I drove with stock tires on my Daytona. The Hellcat needed something better to enjoy it on the street. Your wifes car should be fine with the stockers. She may never push it enough to need more

Idoru99

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dumfries
State
VA
Country
United States
Vehicle
I drove in a a really heavy storm on the 555r's and had no issues many years ago. The biggest thing is they don't start out with a lot of tread and when they get down they will not be as good. I was getting down there on my 1st set of 2's last summer I had to drive to Indy. I put a new set on to be safe incase of rain

I drove with stock tires on my Daytona. The Hellcat needed something better to enjoy it on the street. Your wifes car should be fine with the stockers. She may never push it enough to need more
Good point. I think it slipped my mind we were discussing for a Scat Pack. Stockers might be all that's needed.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #9

I have 2 and since I'm taking the Charger off the road I would like some better tires on the Scat.

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Had Nittos on my 16 HC (South Mississippi).
Used as a daily driver with no issues.
Just be careful and cautious driving in the rain.
MT's we're crazy nuts in the rain.
Mind you we average about 6 feet of rain a year.

white1

9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Prairieville
State
LA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 hellcat charger widebody
I live in south Louisiana where it can be desert dry in the morning (not really we stay around 85+% humidity) and monsoon in the afternoon. I had no issues until I hit about 6000 miles on the tires. When they were new they acted at least as good as the stock Pirellis, after about 6000 miles, you knew they were worn. About 7000 miles we had a scary situation and I went to a Michelin PS4

Would defiantly run the Nitto 555R2 again though. Imo it was a wonderful tire until they got pretty worn

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #12
Thank you to everyone for your comments. I'm going to stay with the Pirellis for now.
If I put the nittos on, I'll probably take it to test and tune...🤣🤣
The traction in heavy rain is my main concern.

Chunky White

Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I realize I am late to the thread but have driven with 555R2 tires in the rear in a few hard rains lately and they are no worse than a full sized truck in the rain in my opinion. The more I drive on them the more I like them and the first purchase I planned on making was four tires to replace what came on my car. The stock Pirelli A/S on the front still suck. I thought I would make it clear that I have all seasons on the front because thats what the previous owner put on it

Last edited:

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Thank you to everyone for your comments. I'm going to stay with the Pirellis for now.
If I put the nittos on, I'll probably take it to test and tune...🤣🤣
The traction in heavy rain is my main concern.
The more I need to drive on the OEM wheels and the PZero PZ4’s in bad weather or even on the road courses, the more I like them. I am wondering what happens IF I buy some 335’s or 345’s. We have slammed Pirelli for seven years of Hellcats now. I am not sure we are 100% correct. Maybe you cannot drag race with them, but my 345/30 Cup 2’s suck for getting it going from a stop also. I mean they really suck for that. They do lots of other great things don’t get wrong. But they are nearly $700 each! After driving some laps on the 305’s and then changing to different and much larger tires, the cornering potential goes up, but the car is just not capable of much more before it drifts laterally.

Prange

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
no longer in Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Charger Scat Pack
I went to Conti's for my summer tires. The DWS 06 Plus in 275/40-20 front, 315/35-20 rears.

As I'm using them as everyday street tires, rain performance was one of my priorities. They are also excellent in the dry and launch much better than the OEM Pirelli's. I'm sure that the wider wheel and tire in the rear helps the launch. I don't do much corner-carving anymore, only some x-way ramp runs now and then. They're a little soft on turn-in, but predictable and they have more grip than can be used on the street. And with the adaptive suspension, it actually rides like a real car.;)

Just my seat of the pants review.

I would buy them again in a heartbeat. Especially with Dodge's "Buy 3, get one for $1.00" promo.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #16
Since this thread popped back up. I'm going to put the 555r2s on for Hot Rod Power Tour and then go back to the Pirellis.

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #17
We're completing a 3K+ mile road trip on the 555r2s. I have to say that I don't think that I'm putting the PZeros back on it.
It's handling the road much better.

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
For you but probably still not the ideal tire if your wife is going to drive on them…

OP
DavidKFla

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #19
For you but probably still not the ideal tire if your wife is going to drive on them…
She barely drives anymore. Seems like I'm always taking her.

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
She barely drives anymore. Seems like I'm always taking her.
I was just commenting because your original post said your wife would be driving it and you wanted her to be safe. I think it takes a little experience to drive on the street with those…