Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

My New In Car Camera Tripod Mount

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat
Mean cat decided to take it out if his car not realizing the extreme forces....and yeh the bedroom Thing is not working out too well either.....not sure if its the after shock or the bed movement😳
33DC9022-4AF7-474D-9C14-E1F1C721D5FC.gif

OP
Mean Cat

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #22
Mean cat decided to take it out if his car not realizing the extreme forces....and yeh the bedroom Thing is not working out too well either.....not sure if its the after shock or the bed movement😳
View attachment 32648
I doubt there would be that much movement or for that long :LOL:

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
As the title says, it's something that I came up with & made to video my Performance Pages gauges when at the track, b4, during & after each pass to see how things look, since I always pull my front pass. seat for the track it's a good place for this Tripod mount. I don't data log so this is my data logging, lol. It's tall enough to also video out the windshield if I want. It came out pretty nice & study, I haven't done a test drive yet or to the track but soon. It's 1" aluminum flat bar, 4" x 4" top ss plate, some cutting, bending & drilling, bolt it together. I used the factory seat bolts to bolt it down.

Let me know what yall think ?
Noice.... I had a camera mount that bolted to the head rest poles in the SC GTO made by a retired colonel in Army intelligence. I might try and recreate that too - I never get to look at the gauges either I don't think I'm going to data log this basically stock car. Good on you fabbing it up.

OP
Mean Cat

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #24
Noice.... I had a camera mount that bolted to the head rest poles in the SC GTO made by a retired colonel in Army intelligence. I might try and recreate that too - I never get to look at the gauges either I don't think I'm going to data log this basically stock car. Good on you fabbing it up.
Thank you, yeah I have one that clamps to the head rest pole that I tried when I had the passenger seat in, & it shaked & vibrated some. But now for the track I always remove the pass. seat & can't put on the driver seat bc can't operate the camera behind my head or get a good view, unless you have a extension arm on the mount, then there will be more shaking. There are all kinds of different mounts to things but haven't seen one for what I want to do, trying to get a good view of the gauges while driving or racing. A Gopro 360 would fix all the shaking & vibrations but didn't really want to spend that much so I was gonna try my little invention & use my iPhone camera. May have to spend the money to get a really good camera for videos & still use my tripod.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Thank you, yeah I have one that clamps to the head rest pole that I tried when I had the passenger seat in, & it shaked & vibrated some. But now for the track I always remove the pass. seat & can't put on the driver seat bc can't operate the camera behind my head or get a good view, unless you have a extension arm on the mount, then there will be more shaking. There are all kinds of different mounts to things but haven't seen one for what I want to do, trying to get a good view of the gauges while driving or racing. A Gopro 360 would fix all the shaking & vibrations but didn't really want to spend that much so I was gonna try my little invention & use my iPhone camera. May have to spend the money to get a really good camera for videos & still use my tripod.

I have a mount that extends off of the passenger headrest for my GoPro.

What I did that worked to take out the vibration was to take a cargo strap and lightly tension the headrest to one of the rear seatbelt straps.

Worked quite well.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
You might be able to do something similar with your setup?

OP
Mean Cat

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #27

What I did that worked to take out the vibration was to take a cargo strap and lightly tension the headrest to one of the rear seatbelt straps.

Worked quite well.
Thanks @BULL , good idea, or maybe a bungy cord a little tight ?

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Thanks @BULL , good idea, or maybe a bungy cord a little tight ?

With the right cord, should work well.

OP
Mean Cat

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #29
With the right cord, should work well.
I'll give it a try, b4 I spend $500 for a GoPro. :rolleyes:

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
I'll give it a try, b4 I spend $500 for a GoPro. :rolleyes:

Be warned, the field of view on gopro's is so freaking wide, that mounting position is too far away to be able to read numbers on the radio display.

:(

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Mine never shook (and we used shock absorption buffers). The biggest problem I had was my wife was afraid of it - said because it stuck out into the center of the car between the seats that if we had a crash (and it was installed) she could be speared in the head with it. She was right, so I'd dismount it whenever she or anyone else was in the car. Went with the car when it sold. The camera I used was nothing special, no anti-shock or stabilization (especially 15 years back).

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle

Worked quite well.
I went off the drivers seat in the GTO because I damped any of that motion. I'm sure it would have shaken like crazy on the unoccupied passengers seat.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
See... no shaking. Can't find anything "appropriate" to post so I'll post up the first thing I ever edited and posted. Bear with the poor editing, etc...

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
See... no shaking. Can't find anything "appropriate" to post so I'll post up the first thing I ever edited and posted. Bear with the poor editing, etc...

Wow, all this time later we come full circle and close the loop on this video!

:unsure::LOL:

;)

OP
Mean Cat

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #35

Nice vid, I heard you mention Texas A&M, that's where I'm from (born in Bryan) , & you mentioned Sealy (Lone Star Raceway) , raced there for 20 + years till Hennessey took over & shut it down.
He sucks !

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Roger all those things

OP
Mean Cat

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #37
Update on this thing, it sucks, vibrates too much for the iPhone camera / video, maybe I'll get a Go pro with suction mount & can use it on the inside & outside.