Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

More on the Rolls Royce build and Hellcrate motor swap

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
They drop the motor in and start it using a Chevy ECU. I know if you take a salvage motor you need all the accessories, even the gas tank, for the antitheft system to allow the motor to run. Does that not apply to the crate motors?

For those who did not see the other thread, the ECU is the one that came with the 1000 HP on pump gas NA Chevy crate big block that went to SEMA (the first one released).

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
They drop the motor in and start it using a Chevy ECU. I know if you take a salvage motor you need all the accessories, even the gas tank, for the antitheft system to allow the motor to run. Does that not apply to the crate motors?

For those who did not see the other thread, the ECU is the one that came with the 1000 HP on pump gas NA Chevy crate big block that went to SEMA (the first one released).
Cool to say the least...more bugs to work out than on Hunters porch on an August night...

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #3
I still dont see how the motor will run w the Chevy eco unless the hellcrate motor does not require the hellcat motor's full security suite to run.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I still dont see how the motor will run w the Chevy eco unless the hellcrate motor does not require the hellcat motor's full security suite to run.
One way or another..my guess it gets sorted out

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
I think GM ecu's are easier to tune . I heard all you need was a degree from any clown college to tune one .

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
It’s crank, cam, ECT, and IAT sensors… fire 8 injectors and 16 spark plugs and you have yourself a petrol fired 717hp air pump!
Granted, I don’t know if the Chevy guys run as many sensors in their blowers as FCA, or if they use a throttle body for a bypass valve… but who knows these days.

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #7
in theory, if you remove all of the hellcrate computers, all you have left in a V8 with sensors. So anything that can read those sensors and drive the fuel injectors etc, can control that setup.
But there has to be more to it than that, I believe. If not, why wouldn't the wrecked HC motors be sold with a generic ECU and toss the oem center stack, gas tank, etc... that are all required for the OEM ECU to start the car and function properly?

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 PCP Redeye Challenger Widebody
I'd think that someone that knows their stuff about tuning could use about any ECM to control a HC engine. But - the spark advance and retard under boost would need to be spot on.....fueling too. Totally different from any N/A LS GM engine I'm sure.

- Kinda neat they were able to use GM controls on a HC engine to do that.....but why put that engine in a Rolls is beyond me, but to each their own I suppose!