Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Mopar Spring Question

Marine121

U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Georgetown
State
SC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
So I went to pick up mopar lowering springs for my 2018 HC Challenger and was told that they are not compatible with the active suspension in our cars. My question is, I see many people using these springs with no issues so did something change for 18 and newer models? Or is this just BS from a dealership parts person? Any info would be appreciated.

Blkout

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Warner Robins
State
GA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
They work just fine, LOTS of people have used them with no issues, myself included. The parts person is misinformed.

OP
Marine121

Marine121

U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Georgetown
State
SC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Thread Starter #3
Thank you for the Info. I'll get them tomorrow.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
They work just fine, LOTS of people have used them with no issues, myself included. The parts person is misinformed.
".......the parts person is misinformed". Since when? That NEVER happens. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

SunnyS

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Siesta Key
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat
So I went to pick up mopar lowering springs for my 2018 HC Challenger and was told that they are not compatible with the active suspension in our cars. My question is, I see many people using these springs with no issues so did something change for 18 and newer models? Or is this just BS from a dealership parts person? Any info would be appreciated.
Just wondered what the part number was for the springs you are wanting?

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Dealer put the Mopar springs on mine. No questions or issues.
As stated above, individual is mis-informed.

OP
Marine121

Marine121

U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Georgetown
State
SC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Thread Starter #7
Just wondered what the part number was for the springs you are wanting?
I am not sure to be honest, but they were just lowering springs not the coil over set up. I can let you know when I go back to dealership.

OP
Marine121

Marine121

U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Georgetown
State
SC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Thread Starter #8
Dealer put the Mopar springs on mine. No questions or issues.
As stated above, individual is mis-informed.
Thanks for info Hunter. I researched on the old site as well as this one and thought the mopar springs would be the best option then i ran into this Jack hole. He actually talked with service department and advised them that springs are not compatible so.....the service department advised that I have them installed somewhere else as to not void warranty. What a joke. Thanks everyone for your help.

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
originally, the service department thought similar, but manager investigated the issue and found out that (according to him) the 300 had issues due to headlights, but not the Challenger.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
Assuming these are the correct parts...

https://www.jegs.com/p/Mopar-Perfor...-Stage-1-Performance-Springs/2178463/10002/-1
https://moparonlineparts.com/dodge-challenger-mopar-lowering-springs-p-5821.html
https://store.mopar.com/accessories...e-suspension_upgrade/suspension_P5155436.html

"When fitting lowering springs (312-P4510854) on 2006-Newer 300C, Charger R/T, Magnum R/T & Daytona vehicles equipped with Sachs Nivomat self-leveling rear shock absorbers, a rear shock change is required for proper appearance."

There doesn't seem to be a history of issues with the SRT Bilsteins - keep in mind that most Bilsteins are a mono-tube shock, and not a twin-tube design (like Belltech or KYB) that has an internal reservoir to displace fluid when lowering, so too low is going to cause control issues but there is a safe range based on loading (five adults, lots of crap in the trunk, all the options checked at the time of ordering). So, doubt they aren't compatible.

And to quote @TrackDay:

"Stock Challenger springs - 313/778 front/rear lbs/in (single rate spring)
MP springs - 240-337/514-828 front/rear lbs/in (progressive rate spring)
I have seen no data about load vs. compressed length on the MP springs. With progressive springs it's hard to know if they are really starting at 240 lbs/in at front compressed ride height. I think it's doubtful. Note, that at full compression they are a little stiffer than stock. The progressive spring rate ensures the ride is not much if any stiffer than stock springs, both in the front and rear.
I think the main thing that is an advantage with these springs is the lower ride height gives us a little more negative camber and lowers the car about a half inch for better handling as well. If you're purely going after better handling I expect the firmer front KW springs (413-536 lbs/in progressive rate) are a benefit, but the rear KW springs have less spring rate than the MP (590-719 lbs/in)."

Plus, consider that an alignment will be needed to get the tires back into spec.

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
Dealer also installed the Mopar springs on mine before I took delivery of the car.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Thanks for info Hunter. I researched on the old site as well as this one and thought the mopar springs would be the best option then i ran into this Jack hole. He actually talked with service department and advised them that springs are not compatible so.....the service department advised that I have them installed somewhere else as to not void warranty. What a joke. Thanks everyone for your help.
You could always call Luke at Steve White Motors in NC for the answer. He works in the parts dept there and is on many of these forums. He's helped lots of people with parts info, and they usually have pretty decent prices and they off a discount to forum members...or at least they used to.

PaVaSteeler

Mole
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
VA
Country
United States
To take the contrarian view...

Wouldn't it stand to reason that substituting Mopar Stage 1 lowering springs on a car with adaptive suspension would defeat or at least diminish the performance aspect of the adaptive suspension? Wouldn't the lowering springs in essence "bypass" a portion of the range the adaptive suspension can change?

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150

Wouldn't it stand to reason that substituting Mopar Stage 1 lowering springs on a car with adaptive suspension would defeat or at least diminish the performance aspect of the adaptive suspension? Wouldn't the lowering springs in essence "bypass" a portion of the range the adaptive suspension can change?
Oh sure....what don't you just drag "science" into the equation. It's Saturday...and now my brain will hurt....thanks. I gotta go do something mindless and see if my all season tires/rims will fit with the wheels spacers that I had to order. Oh....hold on....this will involve "science" too. Thanks a lot :p

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150

Steve White Motors also sells the Demon spring package....or maybe they're marketing it as the 1320 spring package....I can't remember after you confused me with all that "science" talk :)

PaVaSteeler

Mole
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
VA
Country
United States
Oh sure....what don't you just drag "science" into the equation. It's Saturday...and now my brain will hurt....thanks. I gotta go do something mindless and see if my all season tires/rims will fit with the wheels spacers that I had to order. Oh....hold on....this will involve "science" too. Thanks a lot :p
Sorry, just trying to share what I know or have heard from those whose opinions I trust. The issue with the Mopar springs and adaptive suspension came up when I was talking with the owner of Park Center Automotive during a Cars & Coffee. A third guy was asking me whether I was going to lower my 1320 like I did my '15 Scat and the owner chimed in that I would be a fool to do so, for some of the reasons I referenced in my original comment.

This guy is someone whose opinion I would trust. You should see the beautiful 1968 Barracuda he built with a modern 6.1L Hemi...and the other cars he's done for himself and customers.

Park Center Automotive Gallery

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Sorry, just trying to share what I know or have heard from those whose opinions I trust. The issue with the Mopar springs and adaptive suspension came up when I was talking with the owner of Park Center Automotive during a Cars & Coffee. A third guy was asking me whether I was going to lower my 1320 like I did my '15 Scat and the owner chimed in that I would be a fool to do so, for some of the reasons I referenced in my original comment.

This guy is someone whose opinion I would trust. You should see the beautiful 1968 Barracuda he built with a modern 6.1L Hemi...and the other cars he's done for himself and customers.

Park Center Automotive Gallery
Well...defeated by "science" once again. A single 3mm spacer was not enough to get the takeoff rims I bought to fit over the front Brembo brakes, so I had to use the pair of spacers on one side, which means I had to order a second set of spacers for the other side. I really wish I had waited and found a set of wheels/tires that I absolutely knew would fit over the front Brembos. Ultimately there is not joy in the Mudville of all season tires on my 1320 this weekend. Yay.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody

I outlined this above.

OP
Marine121

Marine121

U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Georgetown
State
SC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Thread Starter #19
Thanks for all of input and info that you all shared. I will make call to Luke before making decision. I am trying to get the big girl to handle better without having issues at higher speeds. Great information.

StingrayZ51

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lindenhurst
State
IL
Country
United States
I know this is an oldWe thread but didn’t want to start a new one. So I just ordered the Mopar lowering springs for my 2018 WB challenger. The question is regarding drop and rubbing. I’m currently running 315/35’s on all 4 corners. I’m slightly worried about if the front will rub. And how much drop are we talking about with these springs. The 315’s are slightly taller than the 305’s. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk