Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Missing Heat Shield fastener on starter!

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Good morning. Not many automotive things going on with the nation in an ice box I noticed. Let’s discuss what may cause a knock sensor to believe it has a problem.

I have the Redeye up on the QuickJacks for its annual detail and maintenance. While the belly pans are off, I always touch everything I can. It is an instinct and technique learned from owning and riding a Harley Davidson motorcycle and certainly when I built and rode a custom chopper. Just casually wiping everything, and listening is a good time.

DING, RATTLE, RATTLE! I believe someone has seen the same problem, but I can’t remember who and where I saw the post. So, let’s make a thread. @DodgeCares you should pass this up the line. That little stud is too small. I have no idea what was on there before, but I had to find a couple of nuts for it in the “weird stuff” boxes. I have seen child’s toys with larger fasteners! Give me a break. The sticker on this car was over $92k. This is your premiere engine. Yes, I know it is the same starter as about any V8 has, so do a better job!

EAB20C51-E776-41AE-98C9-94255724F462.jpeg

SOB is fixed now and double nutted. What I would like to know from my friends here is do you think a knock sensor may have been hearing the rattle this thing was making?? I will find out soon enough, and report back here once we have it out again. Until then, what does everyone think? Stay warm because it is going through -20 here this morning outside.

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
Isn't that stud just to hole the heat shield in place? The nut on mine was missing too .

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #3
Isn't that stud just to hole the heat shield in place? The nut on mine was missing too .

HP could be buddy. But it rattles easy. No way we should allow it to run like that IMO.

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
For some reason this may be by design as I have seen quite a few other people post about this...but why?

Going to have to put this on the to do list.

Hpindy

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Jackson's Point
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2018 challenger hellcat
HP could be buddy. But it rattles easy. No way we should allow it to run like that IMO.
It's seems weird that so many people are missing that nut . We need some who just took deliver of their car to check this . I put a nut on mine and it's still there now .
That heat shield rattling around so close to the knock sensor is not helping things . We are about to pull the engine out of a demon that I is untouched from stock . I will be inspecting there for sure .

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #6
Maybe solved the mystery of why the RE could not get its ass down the big long straight at BIR quicker than a Hellcat? Maybe it was not all an alignment or traction problem? I know that it was loose and I could imagine it was buzzing and rattling like mad, especially at medium to high RPM’s. Going to find out that is for sure.

2017 Redline HC

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Komoka
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
I noticed this while pinning my crank this winter. I assume the heat shield needs to be slotted to allow the heat shield to move as the engine twists. I put a rubber plumbing washer on each side of the heat shield and used an M5 nyloc nut to just snug up to it. This should decrease any chance of rattle.
This was my post with several reply’s, apparently they are all this way;
https://www.challengersrt.org/threads/while-pinning-the-crank.8055/ 07D2275D-23C8-4B07-9A30-9854F94E3A04.jpeg

Last edited:

DemonSRT

500 Posts Club
Donating Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kawartha Lakes
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Built in Canada 2018 Demon #3135
It's seems weird that so many people are missing that nut . We need some who just took deliver of their car to check this . I put a nut on mine and it's still there now .
That heat shield rattling around so close to the knock sensor is not helping things . We are about to pull the engine out of a demon that I is untouched from stock . I will be inspecting there for sure .

:eek:Hey, shhh.:whistle:(y)

DemonSRT

500 Posts Club
Donating Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kawartha Lakes
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
My 2009 SRT never had a nut on it and my Demon that I have now does not have a nut on it.
I had asked a relative that works at the Brampton Plant about it and she said that all the Hemi equipped cars come that way and that if any did have a nut, that it may have been done at the dealers on inspection or put on by a technician that noticed it missing and thought there should be one on it as well when it was in for some other service/oil change as they never did it at the plant.

Apparently it was just to use the stud as a locating pin and did not need to be fastened down.

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #10
My 2009 SRT never had a nut on it and my Demon that I have now does not have a nut on it.
I had asked a relative that works at the Brampton Plant about it and she said that all the Hemi equipped cars come that way and that if any did have a nut, that it may have been done at the dealers on inspection or put on by a technician that noticed it missing and thought there should be one on it as well when it was in for some other service/oil change as they never did it at the plant.

Apparently it was just to use the stud as a locating pin and did not need to be fastened down.
Well it is good that it looks like it don’t rattle enough to trip the sensors. You guys all have good acceleration runs. Mine is going to look real similar to @2017 Redline HC ‘s job as soon as I can visit the hardware store. Nice work!

Octanewide

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
House of power
State
IL
Country
United States
So the missing nut is a M5 thread?

Catless

Member ID
Reactions
City
Parkersburg
State
WV
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Hellcat Challenger
My 2015 does not have the heat shield nut.

DemonSRT

500 Posts Club
Donating Member
8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kawartha Lakes
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
My 2015 does not have the heat shield nut.
None of them do.
The stud is used as a locating pin only.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Right, mine didn't have one either, it does now though.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
extra weight:)

HWDan

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Home of the Hellcat
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Charger SRT 392
Judging by the pics, you'd think you would need a 3 foot 1/2 drive breaker bar to install the nut on that.

The reality is, even a micro laptop toolkit might be overkill.

As per 2017 Redline HC's pic, I've assembled the parts and will install once I pull the Charger out of winter storage. stainless M5 locknut and m5 25mm (1 inch) washer and two 1 inch outdoor hose washers.

I've had gravel in behind the front wheel frame rails making a racket before, but I still get the occasional rattle that goes away once I stop and restart the car so I suspect this is next.

2017 Redline HC

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Komoka
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Judging by the pics, you'd think you would need a 3 foot 1/2 drive breaker bar to install the nut on that.

The reality is, even a micro laptop toolkit might be overkill.

As per 2017 Redline HC's pic, I've assembled the parts and will install once I pull the Charger out of winter storage. stainless M5 locknut and m5 25mm (1 inch) washer and two 1 inch outdoor hose washers.

I've had gravel in behind the front wheel frame rails making a racket before, but I still get the occasional rattle that goes away once I stop and restart the car so I suspect this is next.
And now are cars are worth an additional $2.73 :p

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #19
It is tough getting it done with decent size hands.

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City