Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Misc. Questions

Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
ORDERING 2022 HC RE AS SOON AS DODGE TAKES ORDERS
Hi everyone. I have a few more questions and I'll probably think of some more while ordering our new HC RE. From looking at these Hellcats driving around town they don't look excessively low slung. However, that is just eyeballing them driving down the road. How low slung are these cars? Do you have to hold your breath every time you pull off the road into a parking lot?

Also, I read one review somewhere that claimed the interior noise was high at normal highway cruising speed. That does not seem right to me. In a stock car, are these cars annoying loud at say 70 MPH for a road trip? Many thanks.

Robert

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
It is comfortably quiet at highway speeds and you can easily listen to the radio at normal volumes. Not loud inside unless you are wide open throttle. You just need to watch it when you are pulling up to a high curb but the front spoiler seems to clear standard height curbs. I would not say it’s too low.

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB
Agreed @SilverBillet . While highway cruising they’re fine. Now at WOT….😂 Let the good times roll. I’ve had no clearance issues unless it’s a steep driveway and I’m always leery of curbs. I do know I had more clearance issues with my 392 Charger than my Challenger HC and it was stock ride height. Seems odd but unless I backed out of the driveway at a certain angle the splitter would always scrape a little. No issues with the Challenger.

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
If you order the 3.09's it will be a hair louder just due to the slightly higher rpm's. I love the sound and my money says you will too lol. I've never read a single comment about anyone not liking the sound, back roads or highway. You're good.
Stock these cars are def not curb magnets or driveway scrapers. Again, you're good.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Just how bad are the dirt roads in Texas?? In Florida near Micky World, everything is great but there are those Alligator Alleys that can throw pre historic animals at ya to cause a very bad day. Did you tester drive one of these critters?? I did before dropping $78,000 on it. And then, then, and then?? And more to come.

OP
R
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #6
Thanks guys. I have never been in one of these monsters because there are none sitting around a dealership. My dealer said it would take about 3 to 4 months to order one.

One more strange question but relevant to me. I have lupus and have to go to a doctor and get infusions on two days every other week that last about 3.5 hours for each infusion. My wife takes me and usually waits in the car. In the summer here in Houston it gets very got and she will wait with the car idling and the A/C on. Is there any reason you can think of that these cars will struggle with that? For what it's worth, we are leaning towards getting a white car which might run a tad cooler sitting in the sun. Many thanks.

Robert

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Rob,
As you can sea we tend to get to each other by the end of the week but. After spending time with family and others thru out the wee end we all get back together the 1st of the week. As fer the caaa, say up noth, tint the winders and let the cooling system, inter coolers, take care of itself. May want to look into a 180 degree stat. keep the car cooler in the block. Good luck and have fun.

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
It might be ok but I would not let it idle for 3.5 hrs. twice a week every other week. Get a beater car for trips to the doctor![driving]

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Yes, agreed %110 and we all have our beater cars. Mine is a 2017 Nissan. 37 mpg and can with stand anything except a drag strip. And this forum.

OP
R
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #10
My wife and I are weird. We like to do everything together so we are a one car family now. We have a VW Golf, forget which year but it's a few years old. Kids have flown the nest.

I have had a number of nice cars over the years but for most of the time cars were tools. My last kid just turned 18 so now it's Miller Time! We like the idea of being a one car family (strange). It means we have to do everything together. But y'all are right, we should probably keep the VW.

Speaking of Houston traffic, how are these monsters in traffic? Are they prone to overheating? I have never heard that in reviews but probably most of these cars aren't daily drivers. Ours would be.

Oh, what thermostat does the stock car have? If you wanted your car to cool better you would use a thermostat that starts the water pump at a lower temp right? I'm pretty sure we are going to get a white car. That might help out when the sun is beating down in the summer. Thanks guys.

Robert

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Don’t change the thermostat. These cars are extremely well engineered with truly excellent cooling systems. You really can’t change anything without it affecting something else or voiding your warranty. Unless you are planning to race it and go 9 seconds in the quarter, there are no improvements necessary.

OP
R
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #12
Yes I am always leery of making changes to modern, computerized cars. I mentioned in another thread here the possibility of adding Water Wetter to the coolant mix. It is just a surfactant that reduces tiny air bubbles in your coolant system and makes the coolant stick better to the metal.

Robert

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
Water pump is always pumping. Thermostat controls coolant flow, doesnt turn on the pump.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Hi everyone. I have a few more questions and I'll probably think of some more while ordering our new HC RE. From looking at these Hellcats driving around town they don't look excessively low slung. However, that is just eyeballing them driving down the road. How low slung are these cars? Do you have to hold your breath every time you pull off the road into a parking lot?

Also, I read one review somewhere that claimed the interior noise was high at normal highway cruising speed. That does not seem right to me. In a stock car, are these cars annoying loud at say 70 MPH for a road trip? Many thanks.

Robert

My charger was fine. Standard height. I never try to kiss wheel stops or anything like that anyway, but at least the charger never made me cringe where my S500 wouldn't for example. This was an old MB E-class architeture for both cars - for the Charger it was nice and quiet at highway speed.

OP
R
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #15
Thanks for the info guys. My wife and I test drove a used 2020 Challenger HC RE and a used 2020 Charger Scatpack. We were luck they had these cars. We decided we want for sure a 2022 Charger HC RE. The dealer said they have not come out yet with the 2022 models for these cars yet. He will call me as soon as he is able to order a car.

Maybe you guys can vote me an honorary member here while I wait. He said it could be any time between now and two months to order a car and 3 to 4 months to get it after ordering it if things are going as now. So, it could be 3 to 6 months to get a car. Oh well, I have to be patient!

Robert

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
I ordered mine and it came in 3 months early. Had to find the right color to steal and I guess they found it fast. Didn't even have all my fleet sold off at the time. Had em put it away till I got the finances together. They want their monies then they will puke it out fast.

OP
R
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #17
When you say it came 3 months early how long was it supposed to take? They told me to expect to wait 3 to 4 months after they order it but they can't order a 2022 yet. He said he could order a 2021 for me but he advised me to wait and order a 2022 at this point. Nice guy. He was looking out for my best interests.

The used 2020 Challenger WC RE was a dealership car but the 2020 Charger Skatpack was the saleman's personal car and he let me test drive it. For covid reasons he did not insist on coming with me because I'm immuno suppressed.

I was very impressed to say the least with the Challenger HC RE. I opened it up at about 20 to 60 MPH a couple of times so I got to feel the power. I was just in the default street mode but I get the idea of the HP!

Robert

Last edited:

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
Order banks are open for ‘22 now and ‘21 closed (as of 10/8). Not sure why they couldnt order for you.
What’s a WC? Do you mean WB (wide body)?

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
That was my thinking. What I had ordered on the car was alot of options. No big deal but it was at the end of the model year and they thought they would have to pull out a rabid car and transform it into what I wanted. I guess they found sumtin to work with. Next thing I know it is in St Pete. I still had 2 vetts and a F250 to sell.

OP
R
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #20
Hi guys. WC was a typo. It was supposed to be HC. I corrected it above.

I'll call the salesman about the 2022 models. When you go online to Dodge.com you only see the 2021 models. Strange. I'll check into it.

Robert

Last edited: