Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Man these wheels are big....

Designflaw

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sadieville
State
KY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 WB M6 Cat
Car had a vibration at every speed so knew it wasn't balance. Made them pull the wheels and put them on a balancer in front of me, seems test driving might not be your friend, 2 hops. 2 new wheels arrived today at my local dealer, since the one that sold me the car was 5 hours away.
Damn these are big, glad I was in my truck. I mean big! I assumed drop them in my oversized trunk run them in with the car for change out. Shewww

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
And now you know why I balance the tires on a new vehicle as soon as I get it.
Yes, the Challengers come with better balance than, say, a Ram, but it's still usually not very good.

OP
Designflaw

Designflaw

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sadieville
State
KY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 WB M6 Cat
Thread Starter #3
And now you know why I balance the tires on a new vehicle as soon as I get it.
Yes, the Challengers come with better balance than, say, a Ram, but it's still usually not very good.
Huh? Not sure what you said. The wheels were bent, they replaced them. I picked them up in my truck. They both don't fit in my trunk of the challenger as big as it is. My response is basically they are very big wheels, can't believe these fit in the front of the car either. Love the WB!

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Okay, you started out saying it wasn't balance, which it turned out to be.
Then I pointed out that I put my tires and wheels on the balancer as soon as I get a new (or new to me) vehicle, to avoid dealing with vibration issues and to find problems like what you described.

Guess I missed the the real point of your post, apparently being that wide wheels are...well, wide.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
Seems the Demon and 1320 aren't the only cars getting knurled wheels from the factory. Very interesting.

OP
Designflaw

Designflaw

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sadieville
State
KY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 WB M6 Cat
Thread Starter #6
Okay, you started out saying it wasn't balance, which it turned out to be.
Then I pointed out that I put my tires and wheels on the balancer as soon as I get a new (or new to me) vehicle, to avoid dealing with vibration issues and to find problems like what you described.

Guess I missed the the real point of your post, apparently being that wide wheels are...well, wide.
Sorry, you miss understood, we could see the wheel hop from the inside of the rim

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
So those were OE wheels, that came on your car as delivered?

Man, I used to have faith in whatever came stock, but I guess those days are over, too. Well, steel wheels I always expect a bit of run-out from, but not aluminum.

This makes me want to throw my '18's stock wheels on the balancer and check them. They didn't feel unbalanced, but came off almost instantly, so they were never subjected to anything over 55 mph.

OP
Designflaw

Designflaw

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Sadieville
State
KY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 WB M6 Cat
Thread Starter #8
Im surprised no one commented they are made in China

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
So those were OE wheels, that came on your car as delivered?

Man, I used to have faith in whatever came stock, but I guess those days are over, too. Well, steel wheels I always expect a bit of run-out from, but not aluminum.

This makes me want to throw my '18's stock wheels on the balancer and check them. They didn't feel unbalanced, but came off almost instantly, so they were never subjected to anything over 55 mph.
Could have been damaged anywhere along the way from the manufacturer, to the upfitter, to the lot. Seems circumstantial.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Yeah, the after-the-fact thought entered my mind, too. Let's just hope they weren't on the car when they got bent.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Im surprised no one commented they are made in China
I'm getting used to that, unfortunately. Ram duallys, for example, came with (optional) Alcoa wheels until '16, then Ram switched to Chinese copies.
And yes, there is a difference, at least visually. How they differ in strength, I don't know.

Jungle Cat

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dracut
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Rotating these tires is not for the faint of heart. Even a man of average strength would have trouble lifting the tire/wheel. They are damn big and heavy.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
Rotating these tires is not for the faint of heart. Even a man of average strength would have trouble lifting the tire/wheel. They are damn big and heavy.
Wanna compare Wilks scores, brah?

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
Umm, you have probably never handled 16" wide, 36-inch trail tires on steel wheels, let alone 24.5s (as on tractor trailers).
In comparison, the dainty tires and wheels on a Challenger are a joy to place on the tire machine and balancer.

Jungle Cat

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dracut
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat

Jungle Cat

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Dracut
State
MA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Not sure what that is but I’m guessing some kind of strength test? All I know is I am 5’10” and could dunk a basketball one or two hands or backwards before I shattered my ankle. That’s real world strength very few people under 6 feet can claim unless top flight athlete. Everyone has their strength claims to fame. That’s mine and I think it’s a good one. I still ride my bike like a madman up hills. I prefer this type of strength than just lifting iron.

tkracing1

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bay Area
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger
What does someone's Wilks score have to do with the wheel weight?

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
What does someone's Wilks score have to do with the wheel weight?
We're talking about the strength needed to functionally handle and manipulate these massive wheels and tires. For the uneducated: Wilks takes into consideration your height, weight, and total weight from your squat, deadlift, and bench press - it is then given a factor for age and sex.

Thus, if you have good Wilks score moving the wheels around is going to be a minor issue. I was joking Bro. Brah. Bro. Brosef.

My TBSS has 20x10 with 305/50R20s on them... those were a treat swapping daily on Drag Week.

tkracing1

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bay Area
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger
We're talking about the strength needed to functionally handle and manipulate these massive wheels and tires. For the uneducated: Wilks takes into consideration your height, weight, and total weight from your squat, deadlift, and bench press - it is then given a factor for age and sex.

Thus, if you have good Wilks score moving the wheels around is going to be a minor issue. I was joking Bro. Brah. Bro. Brosef.

My TBSS has 20x10 with 305/50R20s on them... those were a treat swapping daily on Drag Week.
For the uneducated??

Most people aren't powerlifters so they may not be familiar with the Wilks formula.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
For the uneducated??

Most people aren't powerlifters so they may not be familiar with the Wilks formula.
Hence me saving them the time to Google it. Nothing said here was directed at you, chiiiiiiiilllllll brough.