Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Is the Carvana business model truly the future...

Purerock105

1000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Reno
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
16' Corvette Z06, 17' Shelby GT350, 17' Raptor
...of buying cars? Eliminating the dealership aspect. What about the hard sell on service & warranties?

kgrencer

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ridgefield
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 WBRE F8 Green
Its always going to come back to parts and service. The biggest profit at a dealership happens after the car is sold as you know. Carvana will never take the dealeship out.. but it might challenge private party used car sales. IMHO

Hellcatcfp

5000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
Its always going to come back to parts and service. The biggest profit at a dealership happens after the car is sold as you know. Carvana will never take the dealeship out.. but it might challenge private party used car sales. IMHO
That was my understanding as well...ongoing service, etc. Is the real money maker for dealerships. Good thread.

OP
Purerock105

Purerock105

1000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Reno
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #4
Carvana is also just "used", but I'm sure the Bigs are monitoring the model.

NoCoHC

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
Numerous
I think Carvana and Vroom are losing massive amounts of money. Their cars are overpriced and they have inflated finance rates. I think we all like the no hassle concept, but to make money they can’t compete on price in my opinion.

OP
Purerock105

Purerock105

1000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Reno
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #6
Oh yea. Not making any money and I get that, it's a start up and in its infancy. The vending machine gimmick is a neat marketing tool, I just wonder in the long run, no matter how much we despise the dealer driven point of sale, if it will materialize to a long term sustainability.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
I've looked through their listings, and the prices seem high. I don't know how they compare on financing. I'm sure that this type of service is fine for some people, but I like to actually look at a car when I'm buying it and have a chance to check it out before I pay for it. I have freinds that have bought cars through services similar to this and they see, to think it's ok. I guess I'm old school and want to see it first.