Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

I went a little faster! 8.15 @ 170

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Marc, where exactly are you grinding on the tensioner if you don't mind my asking?
The tensioner has been slamming against the mounting bracket for the Whipple idler pulley at WOT. It had created a notch that finally got to the point where the tensioner was wedging itself under that bracket and not returning to its off throttle position and keeping tension on the belt. The result was it would throw the belt on the second gear shift. After we figured out what it was doing, we ground the area where the contact was until it was eliminated. EF73026B-0A5F-4B4F-9076-63ABAE6D33CC.jpeg 67949D50-90D5-4D66-98E0-28F95E7E5F91.jpeg

OP
Z

zhc

Founding Member
Premium Account
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #22
The tensioner has been slamming against the mounting bracket for the Whipple idler pulley at WOT. It had created a notch that finally got to the point where the tensioner was wedging itself under that bracket and not returning to its off throttle position and keeping tension on the belt. The result was it would throw the belt on the second gear shift. After we figured out what it was doing, we ground the area where the contact was until it was eliminated. View attachment 35356 View attachment 35357
Indeed, rapid engine deceleration will pull the tensioner fully tight so hard that this can happen. Interesting work around, thanks for sharing!

I never used to throw so many belts or break tensioners until I switched to a grip tech pulley. The slippage I used to get before with a normal pulley was helping save parts but that also meant I was leaving some power on the table because of it.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Indeed, rapid engine deceleration will pull the tensioner fully tight so hard that this can happen. Interesting work around, thanks for sharing!

I never used to throw so many belts or break tensioners until I switched to a grip tech pulley. The slippage I used to get before with a normal pulley was helping save parts but that also meant I was leaving some power on the table because of it.
I was going to mention that! This happened right after we went to the Griptec. First time out after. We were seeing some belt slip and made that change. If you go to the ARS, you will want to keep a eye on that area of contact. We had no idea until the tensioner arm stuck in the in position and stayed there. Picked up almost four mph with the Griptec (after we fixed the tensioner). I love Griptec!

Last edited:
OP
Z

zhc

Founding Member
Premium Account
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #24
[
I was going to mention that! This happened right after we went to the Griptec. First time out after. We were seeing some belt slip and made that change. If you go to the ARS, you will want to keep a eye on that area of contact. We had no idea until the tensioner arm stuck in the in position and stayed there. Picked up almost four mph with the Griptec (after we fixed the tensioner). I love Griptec!
How awesome is Marc for sharing this! I’m going to try it myself. Thank you!

NTB

Member ID
Reactions
City
Harford
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Congratulations ! I bet it took a ton of work.

DMNkilr

Founding Member
Premium Account
Doctor
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Highlands Ranch
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat
Congratulations! That's the summation of a lot of hard work!

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
It wasn't pretty, I was on my 3rd supercharger belt and 2nd accessory belt for the day and had only enough nitrous for one last try for a clean pass and I finally got one. My slower passes were with major belt slip issues and then I had 2 abandoned runs.

1st pass I was testing a small 50 shot 2nd stage and it didn't like it, had to abandon the run early.

So I went to undo all my work over Christmas to set it up and got ready for my next pass.

2nd pass, I was placed in the water box for my burn out so I ended up dragging water to the line and spun on the hit. It ended up snapping my SC belt which also took out my accessory belt with it.

Took care of all that and for the 3rd pass, the new belt was slipping badly going down the track. Turns out, I was distracted enough while putting the new belt on that I had it wrapped the wrong way around the adjustable idler.

Fixed that and for the 4th pass, it was going decently well until I got to the big end and the belt started to shred itself, lost a whole rib when it jumped on the last shift. Likely it was compromised from the previous pass but other factors could have played in as well.

Down to my last spare belt, I went for my 5th and final pass and it was clean! I didn't chase the 60' like all the Mustang guys thought I should or could have. They just don't know our plight at our weight and even if I had matched my personal best 60' of 1.19, I doubt that would have been even close to a 7 second pass so why push it I thought?

Congrats Z, the car is a monster !!
Good Luck to you with continued success. Amazing how fast your car is.

Good talking to you yesterday at B Mason's track day.
Had a awesome time.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)

Indeed. Somewhere here I have a video taken with an engine compartment camera of how violently the tensioner gets slammed around on WOT and WOT-let-off that it is painful to watch.