Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

First run in with a Tesla

mopar madness

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Denton
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 BMW M5
met up at a light with a tesla this morning, I was served up with a heaping bowl of gapple sauce. I didn't stand a chance.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
That's the way it goes from a light... Most guys will find out the hard way because of their superiority complex. Its an interesting experience isn't it? They're cool.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Are you saying you got your ass handed to ya?? Could be like friendly race from 30 mph take off. Same concept as the turbos. Build boost, the don't build it they have it.

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
met up at a light with a tesla this morning, I was served up with a heaping bowl of gapple sauce. I didn't stand a chance.
If you don’t mind me asking, what model Tesla and what is your tire setup? Just curious.

OP
mopar madness

mopar madness

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Denton
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 BMW M5
Thread Starter #5
If you don’t mind me asking, what model Tesla and what is your tire setup? Just curious.
im not up to speed on the models but it was the one that's about the size of a charger. i have Nitto 305 DRs and got a decent rolling launch at the light, just couldn't pull rpm fast enough. I only made it half way through second before he backed off though. i have an M6.

ACMAVRO

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
11 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocean Springs
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger HC M6
im not up to speed on the models but it was the one that's about the size of a charger. i have Nitto 305 DRs and got a decent rolling launch at the light, just couldn't pull rpm fast enough. I only made it half way through second before he backed off though. i have an M6.
Model s yeah that’s a bad boy. I have the same tires on mine, also m6. I believe you’d have closed that gap some had you progressed. At least yours doesn’t look like a granny car! F Tesla! Ha

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
I have yet to meet up with one, but rowing an M6 here as well leaves me with a bad feeling. Ill run out of gear before he runs out of juice, then it will be a matter of playing catchup until they start to peter out. Ive heard they start loosing pull north of 100 or so, but no firsthand knowledge.

OP
mopar madness

mopar madness

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Denton
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 BMW M5
Thread Starter #8
I have yet to meet up with one, but rowing an M6 here as well leaves me with a bad feeling. Ill run out of gear before he runs out of juice, then it will be a matter of playing catchup until they start to peter out. Ive heard they start loosing pull north of 100 or so, but no firsthand knowledge.
seen lots of them around but none ever wanted to play, it was crazy, no wheel spin, no building rpms, it just go's. never thought much about them, my interest has definatly perked up.

Old Mopar Guy

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
15 Hellcat Challenger
seen lots of them around but none ever wanted to play, it was crazy, no wheel spin, no building rpms, it just go's. never thought much about them, my interest has defiantly perked up.
Just on a goof I test drove one about 3 years ago. I guess it was a base model 4dsd. I was surprised how quick it was. Instant power. Handled very well too since the batteries are below the axle centerline. I waited for the test drive guy to turn his head and I switched off the traction control on the center info pod, or whatever they call it. Guy busted me though pulling my hand away before I go to do a 4 wheel burnout! He wasn't having any of it...

At that time the price of replacement batteries was about 25k, I don't know what it is now, but I'm certain it's gotten more affordable. Expectancy of battery pack was 100k.

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Hellcat Challenger
The M6 is not going to fair well against an electric motor. and him shutting down half way through second! thats a douche trick. Makes it look worse than it could have been. I'm not afraid of them, but you can't play their game.Which is launch from a standing start. M6 would still be a handicap.

motorhead

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ottawa
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Widebody
My Procharged TBSS will kill a Hellcat stoplight to stoplight with its AWD and extra mass. Pick your battles fellas.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
How are ya in the sand??

Doublewide

Member ID
Reactions
City
Little Rock
State
AR
Country
United States
You don't race awd vehicles from a dig on the street with any Hellcat but more especially an M6. Catch them from a roll and smoke that ass!

Thawkmike

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
Any Tesla with a “D” ... P90D or P100D... is going to have awd.

Tough to beat. I’ve run a few on the street in the Trackhawk.

Older P90’s are not as quick as the newer P100’s. The 100’s keep chugging after 100mph where the 90’s lose significant steam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Demoniccat

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mid
State
RI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat Redeye
Anything over 15-20 mph roll on and it’s game “ova” for any model Tesla. That’s lame shutting it down @ 2nd. The driver obviously knows it’s strong point, and capiolized on it. Can you image if the cat was AWD. We would be able to launch at higher rpm and have more tire patch contact all around. That would take away though from the purist stand point of RWD.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
I still spin at 20 pretty bad, but 35-40 I’m fairly confident I’ll pull away.

@Thawkmike - how does the TH stack up? I imagine it’s a great race.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Just on a goof I test drove one about 3 years ago. I guess it was a base model 4dsd. I was surprised how quick it was. Instant power. Handled very well too since the batteries are below the axle centerline. I waited for the test drive guy to turn his head and I switched off the traction control on the center info pod, or whatever they call it. Guy busted me though pulling my hand away before I go to do a 4 wheel burnout! He wasn't having any of it...

At that time the price of replacement batteries was about 25k, I don't know what it is now, but I'm certain it's gotten more affordable. Expectancy of battery pack was 100k.
You can have em...try n sell a used one...secondary market sucks...would you buy a car say three yrs old knowing in three to 4 yrs you gotta fork out 25 large for a new battery...

Thawkmike

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
I still spin at 20 pretty bad, but 35-40 I’m fairly confident I’ll pull away.

@Thawkmike - how does the TH stack up? I imagine it’s a great race.
With P90 it is a good race, TH typically wins. P100d’s are no joke though, had one put some distance on me several times in a stop light war.

I think some of you guys are dismissing the newest P100 a little too easily though. They’re trapping 123+mph. I believe the record is 10.8@125.

It’s not the same old story of these electrics falling in their face at 100mph.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
You can have em...try n sell a used one...secondary market sucks...would you buy a car say three yrs old knowing in three to 4 yrs you gotta fork out 25 large for a new battery...
On the contrary, the secondary market is crushing it right now. Can’t touch a decent S or X for less than a small fortune. FWIW - the original Tesla Roadsters with 100k on them still have over 80% battery life. That’s better than most any other battery powered electronics...
Even when Tesla closed some showrooms and liquidated the stock, they weren’t cheap.

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Hellcat Challenger
With P90 it is a good race, TH typically wins. P100d’s are no joke though, had one put some distance on me several times in a stop light war.

I think some of you guys are dismissing the newest P100 a little too easily though. They’re trapping 123+mph. I believe the record is 10.8@125.

It’s not the same old story of these electrics falling in their face at 100mph.

It's still a golf cart!