Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Dynoing My 8 Sec Built 428 Whipple Hellcat Charger

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
On the flip side, it was a lot easier convincing her I needed my own dependable trailer after this.
My excuse for stuff is the “safety” factor. 😂

Jonjonday

8 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ocala
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Hellcat Charger
As for who tuned it, that would be me! I’ve been tuning my car myself for nearly 3 years now. I also do all of the mechanical work at home in my garage, except for the 427 swap which I enlisted help from my buddy who has shop space and a lift. My accomplishments this year has been mostly me with help and support from the wife as my pit crew.
It's the best way! Awesome job buddy.. Da getting better here in FL.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
Love the trailer stories, it definitely comes with the territory, haha.

Hellion

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Johnstown
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger
1st off congrats on the dyno numbers and running in the 8's. I wanted to be the 1st to run in the 8's with a Charger but it didn't happen. Maybe one day I can still make it with a stock short block and full interior.

My wife helps me load the car on the trailer all the time. I let her drive so I can watch everything. She only about launched the car over the trailer going up the ramp once. After that she figured out she wasn't driving a Honda up on the trailer. That vertical pedal on the right has some giddy up and go. She does a great job now and takes video's of all my passes. It's been a work in progress for almost 20 years. I think she now has it figured out.

I have both an open and enclosed trailer. I find it easier to use the open trailer. So that's what you see my car on most of the time.

Geo1

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Omaha
State
NE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat
Gotta love those cammed out cats!
Nice video. Here is mine... Not trying to hi jack your thread. Lol👍
Good grief. That sounds badass as well!

Geo1

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Omaha
State
NE
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat
I asked my pop to pit for me the other night. He said he couldn’t. I went racing anyway.

When I was getting my car out of trailer I snapped off my side mirror. Yay!

Little duct tape good as new.
Lol. Quit watching the Red Green show! http://www.redgreen.com/
Our friends up north are familiar with this guy. He used duct tape on everything. He also used kitchen appliances to upgrade to power windows on the old truck:
Yeah, I'm off in the weeds, but every time I hear duct tape, I think of this guy. :)

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
Our friends up north are familiar with this guy. He used duct tape on everything. He also used kitchen appliances to upgrade to power windows on the old truck:
Yeah, I'm off in the weeds, but every time I hear duct tape, I think of this guy. :)
He puts on a great show in person as well, I recommend going to see him if he is ever performing in your neck of the woods. I've gotten to watch him a couple times now.

FWIW - some of the online horsepower and 1/4 mile calculators put you a little slower than what you've actually run for the RWHP. BUT they are right at ~9.0@158. They're only giving you credit for a 1.4X 60' though... so obviously that is where the rest of the math falls apart :cool: With a 4500lb race weight (I imagine you're probably a little heavier than that with you in the car) and a 8.9 ET it says 1261HP.

Last edited:

Hellion

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Johnstown
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger
BUT they are right at ~9.0@158. They're only giving you credit for a 1.4X 60' though... so obviously that is where the rest of the math falls apart :cool: With a 4500lb race weight (I imagine you're probably a little heavier than that with you in the car) and a 8.9 ET it says 1261HP.
Jack his car only weighs 4200 with him in it. He has cut more weight off the car than anybody with a Charger. I would have to guess he had only 1 race seat in the car with no exhaust. Plus anything else he could remove in the car.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
Jack his car only weighs 4200 with him in it. He has cut more weight off the car than anybody with a Charger. I would have to guess he had only 1 race seat in the car with no exhaust. Plus anything else he could remove in the car.
WHAAAAAAT????

That's remarkable. The equivalent of me removing ~800lbs.
Shoots a lot of holes in the calculators too :cry:

OP
Z

zhc

Founding Member
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #50
This makes it seem like I did some craziness to cut down to the weight I was at. In my opinion, except for a couple items on the list that I'm questioning myself, I don't think I went too crazy but perhaps you all can be the judge of that. I'm not shy in sharing information either so...

Here's my full weight reduction list and approximate weight savings for each thing. For the most part, I can and do put the car back into a streetable form when I have more than a couple weeks between race events. All that means is I put my seats, 20" wheels, exhaust and stock battery back in which I can do casually in a couple hours.

Anything not listed is left in the car as-is including dash, radio, speakers, trim, door panels, interior cabin carpet, sound deadening material, yea...

Last edited:

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
I asked my pop to pit for me the other night. He said he couldn’t. I went racing anyway.

When I was getting my car out of trailer I snapped off my side mirror. Yay!

Little duct tape good as new.
You don't have to launch when you're coming off the trailer man!

Hellion

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Johnstown
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Charger
I don't see anything crazy here. I have most of the same reductions except the seats,trunk stuff and exhaust. Plus I weigh 100lbs more than you. Guess I need to go on a diet. My car is 4600 with me in it.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Red green is awesome.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
I don't see anything crazy here. I have most of the same reductions except the seats,trunk stuff and exhaust. Plus I weigh 100lbs more than you. Guess I need to go on a diet. My car is 4600 with me in it.
Damn... I do have the heaviest Hellcat on the planet... I'm 49XXlbs race weight...

Member ID
Reactions
City
Goodyear
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
HellCat Challenger
YIKES! Its a BEAST!

stonewall

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Conway
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Hellcat Challenger
That is a Flaming MONSTER. The spin up was instant!

Member ID
Reactions
City
Detroit
State
Non-US
Country
Afghanistan
Why a Whipple versus a Magnuson? Obviously, you could choose anything, and you chose to go Whipple.

Why the down vote?

Last edited:

Primetime Hellcat 17

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger Hellcat
Recently there
Why a Whipple versus a Magnuson? Obviously, you could choose anything, and you chose to go Whipple.
Recently a Hellcat that just got into the 8’s with a magnuson.
Who knows..... I guess it’s all personal preference.
I’m going to upgrade to a Whipple.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Detroit
State
Non-US
Country
Afghanistan
Recently there

Recently a Hellcat that just got into the 8’s with a magnuson.
Who knows..... I guess it’s all personal preference.
I’m going to upgrade to a Whipple.
That's my point, I guess. I figured at this level, it's personal preference, because I hear great things about both systems, and, as I said, for the Man Who Has Everything, :D the Whipple was chosen.

OP
Z

zhc

Founding Member
7 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #60
That's my point, I guess. I figured at this level, it's personal preference, because I hear great things about both systems, and, as I said, for the Man Who Has Everything, :D the Whipple was chosen.
I didn’t choose the Whipple, it was more like the Whipple chose me. This particular unit was purchased over a year ago before there were really any other viable options on the market so there was no choice in my case.

Also, the 8 second Maggie had significant port work done allowing it to make a bit more power than an otherwise out of the box unit would make. Until a couple months ago, the Maggie wasn’t even on anyone’s radar except those who just wanted something different.