Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Dss axles different lengths?

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
I never knew the right one was longer than the left. I found that out when I put a left one on the right side and it turned out too short. I thought dss told me they were the same length on a hellcat. Apparently not.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Factory are different also

OP
AlleyCat

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Thread Starter #3
A senior moment. Oh well.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
DSS Stage 5 axles are same part number left and right, RA7285X5, ie, there is no left or right, they are exactly the same as one another and can go in either side. I’ve had 3 sets of them already. Unless they have something new out?? 22A5CA0E-FD48-4246-9BAC-BA5D43D0FDF1.jpeg CC8649B9-0A2C-4091-9E7D-0C86454FFCB6.jpeg 3F944F44-210B-4230-BF03-1B73A8D51FB0.jpeg 44CFBF57-1DD7-4D72-AC94-E728E552A9BE.jpeg 8862E3B8-AD75-4461-BD20-6B044751710A.png

OP
AlleyCat

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Thread Starter #5
The installer states the nut keeps popping off as it seems too short. Weird.

What would cause a nut to keep coming off and them claiming it is too short?

Last edited:

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
Are the boots compressed or stretched out? If they are too close it will seem like one has to stretch the axles too far to get the nuts started. Just push the spline into the wheel hub and start the nut and tighten it, if it pulls out of the Diff side the boot ends are definitely too close and you have to separate them. If the boots won’t move easy Get WD40 (or any thin oil) put the red plastic extension on it and slip it under the small boot end and give it a super small squirt of oil and work it around the ID of the boot end so it slips around easy and they will about set themselves to the right tension. (The small ends of the boots are not clamped to the shafts and may need pushed out towards each CV) I had a set once that I did not do this and upon my first drive I smelled gear oil, looked under the car and my Diff was leaking, I thought I tore a seal, here it was the hub pulled out of the Diff and was leaking oil because the shaft was not in the seal anymore, this was my first experience with DSS and their boot issues. What color boots are they blue or black? I had a set with blue boots and the boots tore after a just few hundred miles, DSS told me it happened because I didn’t set them right and they where too stretched out, told me my car must be lowered or something, we’ll it’s not. Seems they have no clue what the proper length between the small ends of the boots should be when they build them and it’s up to the end user to set them “right” but no where in any instructions does it tell you that and what “right” is. And then guess what? Torn Boots aren’t covered under warranty, I had to buy 4?boots and grease kits and do it myself or pay the shipping costs to send them back and wait weeks for their return.
So then I bought a set of GForce Outlaw Axles and they wobble in the Diff, so in changing the Diff to a brand 3.90 unit I measured the Diff side hubs and they are .002” smaller then Factory hubs and DSS hubs (which at least DSS makes that part the right size). It wasn’t the 3.70 Diff as the hubs wobble just the same in the brand new Diff. So I had two friends that bought G Force outlaw axles and I asked them to measure their hubs and turns out my hubs are smaller than theirs so there’s something up with them but GForce won’t do anything about it at the moment so I guess I’m going to have to start posting stuff about them like this is the first one. Seems I have absolutely no luck with axles. I must’ve had five or six sets of axles in this car so far, from 2 sets of Drive Shaft Shop ones (both rebuilt under warranty before their year of service was up and I sold them upon return from DSS), a set of red eye ones and now the G Force ones and each one has a different issue of some sort. I’ll post a video of the wobble the GForce ones have.

And here’s the same axles in a brand new 3.90 Diff, GForce says it’s the Diff, but I have videos of 3 sets of axles measured showing mine are smaller, BEWARE of all these companies, it’s all good when things are good but leave you hanging when they go bad. I’ll be calling them again today. Sorry to pull this off subject a bit

https://youtube.com/shorts/lXENYtTKbgk?feature=share

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Are the boots compressed or stretched out? If they are too close it will seem like one has to stretch the axles too far to get the nuts started. Just push the spline into the wheel hub and start the nut and tighten it, if it pulls out of the Diff side the boot ends are definitely too close and you have to separate them. If the boots won’t move easy Get WD40 (or any thin oil) put the red plastic extension on it and slip it under the small boot end and give it a super small squirt of oil and work it around the ID of the boot end so it slips around easy and they will about set themselves to the right tension. (The small ends of the boots are not clamped to the shafts and may need pushed out towards each CV) I had a set once that I did not do this and upon my first drive I smelled gear oil, looked under the car and my Diff was leaking, I thought I tore a seal, here it was the hub pulled out of the Diff and was leaking oil because the shaft was not in the seal anymore, this was my first experience with DSS and their boot issues. What color boots are they blue or black? I had a set with blue boots and the boots tore after a just few hundred miles, DSS told me it happened because I didn’t set them right and they where too stretched out, told me my car must be lowered or something, we’ll it’s not. Seems they have no clue what the proper length between the small ends of the boots should be when they build them and it’s up to the end user to set them “right” but no where in any instructions does it tell you that and what “right” is. And then guess what? Torn Boots aren’t covered under warranty, I had to buy 4?boots and grease kits and do it myself or pay the shipping costs to send them back and wait weeks for their return.
So then I bought a set of GForce Outlaw Axles and they wobble in the Diff, so in changing the Diff to a brand 3.90 unit I measured the Diff side hubs and they are .002” smaller then Factory hubs and DSS hubs (which at least DSS makes that part the right size). It wasn’t the 3.70 Diff as the hubs wobble just the same in the brand new Diff. So I had two friends that bought G Force outlaw axles and I asked them to measure their hubs and turns out my hubs are smaller than theirs so there’s something up with them but GForce won’t do anything about it at the moment so I guess I’m going to have to start posting stuff about them like this is the first one. Seems I have absolutely no luck with axles. I must’ve had five or six sets of axles in this car so far, from 2 sets of Drive Shaft Shop ones (both rebuilt under warranty before their year of service was up and I sold them upon return from DSS), a set of red eye ones and now the G Force ones and each one has a different issue of some sort. I’ll post a video of the wobble the GForce ones have.

And here’s the same axles in a brand new 3.90 Diff, GForce says it’s the Diff, but I have videos of 3 sets of axles measured showing mine are smaller, BEWARE of all these companies, it’s all good when things are good but leave you hanging when they go bad. I’ll be calling them again today. Sorry to pull this off subject a bit

https://youtube.com/shorts/lXENYtTKbgk?feature=share
Let me know how it goes with gforce. I’ll be making it more of a priority for install after this weekend. I have to use the car this weekend so am waiting until after.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Another good reason to stick with factory parts if possible, RE axles are probably good up to 1k hp.

OP
AlleyCat

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Thread Starter #9
The only place I can order a right redeye axle is through rock auto. They are sold out. Going through an online dealership or a local dealership they will not sell to me unless I have a redeye or demon.

OP
AlleyCat

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Thread Starter #10
I think dss sent me someone else’s axle. I waited 11 weeks for them to repair. The mechanic forwarded pictures to dss and me. What a night mare.

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
Just checking, they do not come with the ABS / Tone rings on them and the stock ones are used.

I've seen this happen before.

Linda :)

OP
AlleyCat

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Thread Starter #12
Per the mechanic it is the wrong axle.

Linda's Hell Cat

4000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bucks County
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Charger Hellcat
Per the mechanic it is the wrong axle.
:(

You should have him send pictures, it may be helpful to others if they have the problem.
Plus then you can see for your self, especially if you are the one complaining it will be helpful.

Linda :)

OP
AlleyCat

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Thread Starter #14
Pictures were sent to me and DSS. I am waiting to see what DSS does for me if anything.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
The only place I can order a right redeye axle is through rock auto. They are sold out. Going through an online dealership or a local dealership they will not sell to me unless I have a redeye or demon.
I found mine on ebay, less than 2k miles supposedly, but have had no issues.

OP
AlleyCat

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Thread Starter #16
I almost had a new one. But now they want a registration showing ownership. There is one on there. But it has some miles on it.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I almost had a new one. But now they want a registration showing ownership. There is one on there. But it has some miles on it.
I thought all that BS with ownership was over, I guess not ?

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I don't know, I just know the HC & RE axle part #'s.

OP
AlleyCat

AlleyCat

500 Posts Club
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Oro Valley
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
16 HC Challenger
Thread Starter #19
The hell with it. I just ordered a stock one for the right side. The CVS hold up on these. If it twists and breaks the axle so be it. The DSS are crap. Their cvs rattle, even the road race one, and their customer service is attrocious.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
I thought all that BS with ownership was over, I guess not ?
When my thermostat failed at challengerfest and I went to the dealer to finish driving the car for the weekend they even asked for the vin to buy a thermostat