Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Darrel Cox lockouts install

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
I did the install today. Took less then an hour. and I did one at a time. The rears you just take the bolt out, the black cap comes off and you put the piece in. The fronts you need to take the plastic cover off that run towards the front of the car under the gas tank. There is one on each side. For the front I loosen the bolt but left it on. There is a metal yellow tab you need to remove. Use a breaker bar and you can pry it off, you don't need to drill the side to get it off. The front just pushes on. I torqued the bolts to 126 ft lbs. They sure didn't feel like they were on that tight when taking them off

20220508_093949.jpg 20220508_104756.jpg 20220508_101548.jpg 20220508_100818.jpg 20220508_102036.jpg 20220508_102506.jpg

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Seems easy to do, is this for stiffening & how is the NVH ?

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
I never had a chance to drive on these. How is ride quality? As you know he says nothing should be noticed.

OP
vortecd

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #4
I will let you know. Darrel said he heard nothing on a M6 scat pack. Basically it should be still riding on the rubber but these are suppose to stop the movement

OP
vortecd

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #5
These came off of Jons car being he sold it. They were on like 3 weeks but he didn't drive the car much

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
These came off of Jons car being he sold it. They were on like 3 weeks but he didn't drive the car much
By not much you mean I drove 3 miles to the track twice 😂

Last edited:
OP
vortecd

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #7
I drove the car into work and right away it feels like the car is riding on the suspension like it is suppose to. The NVH may be a little but hard to tell.
A little back story
One reason I took the 3.09s out was they had some gear noise which some do. When I put the 3.09s in I also did an aluminum ds and gforce axles. I put the 2.62s back in this year and now they make some noise, they didn't when I took them out. The ds and or axles must be causing it since they didn't with the stock ones. So I have NVH just not sure if there is more

When I installed the lockouts I did the right rear 1st and was surprised how far the cradle dropped just removing one bolt. Now they are all in I'm going to take that bolt out again and see if there is a big change

There is a video on youtube changing the arms to AADs and he took both bolts off of 1 side, didn't touch the other, and was able to get the arms off so there must be a lot of play in the bushings

I have only had the one trip so I can't base everything off of it

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
I drove the car into work and right away it feels like the car is riding on the suspension like it is suppose to. The NVH may be a little but hard to tell.
A little back story
One reason I took the 3.09s out was they had some gear noise which some do. When I put the 3.09s in I also did an aluminum ds and gforce axles. I put the 2.62s back in this year and now they make some noise, they didn't when I took them out. The ds and or axles must be causing it since they didn't with the stock ones. So I have NVH just not sure if there is more

When I installed the lockouts I did the right rear 1st and was surprised how far the cradle dropped just removing one bolt. Now they are all in I'm going to take that bolt out again and see if there is a big change

There is a video on youtube changing the arms to AADs and he took both bolts off of 1 side, didn't touch the other, and was able to get the arms off so there must be a lot of play in the bushings

May have to get speed up as well. Like 120 or something. If it is smooth there then you are good to go.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye

OP
vortecd

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #10
Prying the front tab off you really see the movement in the front. The lockout fills the empty space up so it cant move

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Something like this may be in my list in my quest for better 60' times. It seems I added power with E85 and now I can't hook anymore without taking a ton of power out at the hit.

So looks like this design has the metal bushing sit down in the aluminum cup, and sandwiches the rubber against the sub frame. Any thoughts on that causing the rubber to fatigue or tear?

Also, what is that yellow tab for that gets removed?

OP
vortecd

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #12
The pieces are aluminum. I would thik there would be less fatigue being the rubber is moving less

Darrel said the tabs were for alignment of the direction of the bushing when installing them from the factory or something like that.

BMR has you drill into them to remove them but they do pry off

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
I know Darrel has more being made as we speak if anyone is interested. I believe his pricing is $250 bucks.
His shop number is (517) 369-9636

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
A little back story

The lockouts prob. don't add much nvh since like you said the bushings are still on some rubber. Most of the noise is prob. from the DS.

OP
vortecd

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #15
The lockouts prob. don't add much nvh since like you said the bushings are still on some rubber. Most of the noise is prob. from the DS.
I know the ds is making it so not sure if these are adding to it. I did notice on the way home I heard it a little louder in 6th gear at 45 mph. I have some stop signs and it got to the point I knew when I was doing 45. It was a little more pronounced and came in and went away

TNREDEYE

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shelbyville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Super Stock
OP
vortecd

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #17
Yep they are. I believe Darrels were made before them. The bmrs have the ring on the bottom of the front so you have to cut off the excess rubber so it fits flat. I don't see the upper piece being hard to install being the cradle drops by just taking one bolt out. I don't know how much more the upper ring will help

The bmrs also have metal to metal contact where Darrels are only touching the rubber

Based on what I saw I have no idea why you need to take all this stuff off and lower the cradle 6" per bmrs instructions. The tabs pry off without drilling

https://www.bmrsuspension.com/siteart/install/SCB110.pdf

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
I love my CCI 4" aluminum driveshaft for piece of mind.

I do not like the fact it turns the driveline into a tuning fork.

Your factory gears made noise from the factory. They all do. Taking the 2pc driveshaft out just uncovered it for you.

I'd rather hear the whine than worry about the factory shaft poking me in the ass at the 60ft mark.

FWIW...smooth as glass well past 160 so I know I didn't screw up too bad.

Need to do the lockouts next.

OP
vortecd

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Thread Starter #19
I love my CCI 4" aluminum driveshaft for piece of mind.

I do not like the fact it turns the driveline into a tuning fork.

Your factory gears made noise from the factory. They all do. Taking the 2pc driveshaft out just uncovered it for you.

I'd rather hear the whine than worry about the factory shaft poking me in the ass at the 60ft mark.

FWIW...smooth as glass well past 160 so I know I didn't screw up too bad.

Need to do the lockouts next.
I get it with the driveshaft. My 13 Mustang didn't make anymore noise with the aluminum ds but it had a solid rear

If you install the front diff brace get ready for even more noise. I took it off when I put the 2.62s back in. So my 3.09s do make more noise but may not be as bad as I thought. In a car with everything stock they probably are not that bad

Wizza

Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Stafford
State
VA
Country
United States
Vehicle