Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

CAI and tune help for the Challenger 1320?

Member ID
Reactions
City
Pollocksville
State
NC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger R/T ScatPack 1320
Anyone have recommendations for a Cold Air Kit and a better tune up for these motors. Any suggestions would be considered helpful. Also advice on warranty work after changing tunes.

Hellcat Cuda

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
S.F. East Bay
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC Red Eye 1969 Hellcat Cuda
The 1320 already has a potent CAI from the factory. The best you could do would be if you found an air cleaner element that flows better than what the factory provided, but I doubt it. The car has been certified at something like 11.77 or so in the quarter and I've know a couple of local 1320s who have done better than that with it, all stock except for MT Street Rs on the back and skinnies up front / no rear or passenger seat. (One was ordered without those seats and the other had those seats removed.)

Hunter

9000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Not familiar with the CAI on the 1320, but I changed out my CAI on my 19 HC with a JLT.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Anyone have recommendations for a Cold Air Kit and a better tune up for these motors. Any suggestions would be considered helpful. Also advice on warranty work after changing tunes.
There is no power to be had. I went to the track with my Daytona 392 and ran the car switching from the hellcat air box and the JLT and there was nothing there. Don't waste your money unless you like the looks of it. I didn't like the open filter of the Daytona so I went to the Hellcat air box. I would switch to that but can't say there is even any gains to be had there but is does add some more air to it

Hunter

9000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
There is no power to be had. I went to the track with my Daytona 392 and ran the car switching from the hellcat air box and the JLT and there was nothing there. Don't waste your money unless you like the looks of it. I didn't like the open filter of the Daytona so I went to the Hellcat air box. I would switch to that but can't say there is even any gains to be had there but is does add some more air to it
I only did it for the sound.

why2kmax

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
12 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Shrewsbury
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Indigo Blue Hellcat
hellcat lower airbox with the tube to the headlight works and will let you connect to the drivers side headlight. No idea if it helps but it made me feel better. Be warned Dodge went from the twist and lock cover on that hole to 3 screws that hang on for dear life and strip if you breathe on them the wrong way.

A tune will likely help but you void the warranty on the motor and poss drive line if they want to be assholes about it. IMO not worth it for the minimal gains.

Reillyrob

Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Redeye
I haven't seen any real gains from an aftermarket CAI on a 1320 car. I ran a 11.47 at 118 MPH with the stock box and filter.
Lose some weight and wait for -DA ........

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Trans tune would likely be your best bang for the buck.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
I put the T/A CAI kit on my 1320, but if I had it all to do again I would put the Hellcat airbox and plug it into the headlight. I noticed the biggest drop in IAT after I was able to get that extra ram air from the headlight and the center scoop (the T/A kit ties into the scoop as well).\

Here are pics of what it looked like after install.

1320 cai 1.jpg

1320 cai 2.jpg

and the airbox

IMG_0197.JPG

IMG_0196.JPG

Last edited:

Tuckerracing

Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Whitehouse
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
@Stormtrooper1320 I am pretty sure you can buy the piece that goes from the airbox to the headlight from dodge separate.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
@Stormtrooper1320 I am pretty sure you can buy the piece that goes from the airbox to the headlight from dodge separate.
The 1320 airbox isn't open to the headlight. There is no opening for that headlight duct in the stock 1320 airbox. You can buy the Hellcat airbox and the headlight duct fairly cheap. I wanted the whole kit that tied in the center scoop in the hood.

If I were going to do it all again, I would just get the Hellcat airbox and headlight duct.

Tuckerracing

Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Whitehouse
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
The 1320 airbox isn't open to the headlight. There is no opening for that headlight duct in the stock 1320 airbox. You can buy the Hellcat airbox and the headlight duct fairly cheap. I wanted the whole kit that tied in the center scoop in the hood.

If I were going to do it all again, I would just get the Hellcat airbox and headlight duct.
i thought the TA box had the hole going to the headlight.

PaVaSteeler

Mole
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
VA
Country
United States
11.428 bone stock engine, on 18x10 DR’s and front skinnies, rear seat delete and no passenger seat, with HC air box & felt tube.

Frankly, save your $ on the CAI and use a hole cut saw and fabricate your own tube.

DC33F6E4-A9F0-4DAF-91AD-68492730334F.jpeg
Left lane, #646 (above & below)
B895E9A6-BB08-4E7C-A920-72857308259B.jpeg

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
i thought the TA box had the hole going to the headlight.
yes....the T/A box does have the hole in it. The T/A kit comes with the bigger airbox, the headlight duct, the open airbox top with the big cone filter, and the air duct that goes to the center scoop of the hood.

The 1320 does not come with the big airbox, it does not come with the headlight duct or the headlight open for air to get in (it is capped on the inside that you have to remove, but doesn't go to anything since the 1320 airbox does not have a side opening), it does not come with an open top airbox. It comes with the regular closed airbox that comes on every other Scat Pack Challenger. This was yet another performance item that Dodge did not give us on the 1320 for a drag oriented car, when they clearly had the parts on the shelf.

I could have bought just the Hellcat airbox and the headlight air duct, but I was bedazzled by the T/A setup and just had to have it.....so I got it....for slightly over $400. If I could go back in time, I would have gotten just the Hellcat airbox and headlight duct. The items in the pics above are the items from the T/A kit.