Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Broken Fuel Injector Electrical Harness Connection

thetalonguy

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger HC M6
Took my Hellcat out this morning after about a 6 week hiatus. Noticed it was driving a little funny, but figured it was sitting a while and a bit colder than last month. Popped 2 CELs for Cylinder 3 misfire and Cylinder 3 fuel injector circuit malfunction.

Pulled the cover off and found this lovely site. Can this even be repaired? Could I solder the connection and wrap it up?

Or do I need a whole entire harness? Can’t imagine those are inexpensive.

Don’t know how that could’ve happened other than a critter getting in there, but I don’t see any damage elsewhere. Plus that hasn’t ever happened to any of my other vehicles.

Attachments

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
That seems too close to the connector to be able to repair?

But if you can get a short pigtail and connector, then you could splice it in.

HWDan

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Home of the Hellcat
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2017 Charger SRT 392
OP
thetalonguy

thetalonguy

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger HC M6
Thread Starter #4
That seems too close to the connector to be able to repair?

But if you can get a short pigtail and connector, then you could splice it in.
Yup, when I went back and looked at it, it didn’t seem repairable

Probably rodent or squirrel tried to stash something around there. I'd check other spots for possible nuts or rodent nesting material.

http://connectors.dcctools.com/details.htm?id=222900

full site to start from ...
http://connectors.dcctools.com/home.htm
Awesome, thank you!

I did see some broken acorn shells around the area, so it definitely seems like so.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat

Awesome, thank you!

I did see some broken acorn shells around the area, so it definitely seems like so.

Awesome, thank you!

Awesome, thank you!

Critters cant resist chewing wires...

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Never had an animal get into any of my cars. Knock on wood. But if you found nut debris around I'd wager that was it. Thanks for posting, and if you repair it yourself, please post that as well! Best of luck to you.

OP
thetalonguy

thetalonguy

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger HC M6
Thread Starter #7
Never had an animal get into any of my cars. Knock on wood. But if you found nut debris around I'd wager that was it. Thanks for posting, and if you repair it yourself, please post that as well! Best of luck to you.
Thanks, the part shipped this morning (thanks again HW Dan!), so hoping it gets here by the weekend. I’m no stranger to wiring stuff as a hobby mechanic. I’ll post some pictures for future reference.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I haven't found nut debris in any of my cars since I was 18...(thank god for vinyl seats):censored::censored::censored:

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Thanks, the part shipped this morning (thanks again HW Dan!), so hoping it gets here by the weekend. I’m no stranger to wiring stuff as a hobby mechanic. I’ll post some pictures for future reference.

Please do!

OP
thetalonguy

thetalonguy

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger HC M6
Thread Starter #10
Attached some pictures of the install today.

Pic 1 - Mopar Part #

Pic 2 - Contents of package; connector, 2 wires, 2 heat shrink tubes and 2 wire cramps (not in picture, not used)

Pic 3 - You have to insert each wire (blue end) into the connector. Looking at Pic 2, you can see on the blue end of the wire, that the end is a box shape. You have to make sure you line them up correctly before inserting into connector. If you look in the connector, you can probably reason out how it should slide in. It doesn't take much effort to push it in, and if it does you likely have it inserted the wrong way. You will hear an obvious click once the wire is inserted correctly.

Honestly, if you were able to source these wires on their own, you really wouldn't have needed to purchase this package. You can reuse the old connector by popping out the front plate of connector and sliding the old wires out.

Pic 4 - Old connector cutoff, existing wires exposed with some of the wire wrap removed. Brown wire will coincide with the far left wire on the new connector (since both wires are white on the new one). When connected, the red locking tab is on the right, then are two wires to the left of that.

Pic 5 - There's not a whole lot of room to work here. I took off about 1/2" of wire insulation from the existing brown wire and left white wire. I gave myself a couple of extra inches of room on the white wire side incase this would have to ever be done in the future. MAKE SURE YOU PUT HEAT SHRINK TUBES ON WIRE PRIOR TO BRAIDING/SOLDERING. I braided the two wires together and put a piece of carboard with thick gorilla tape under in prep for soldering.

Pic 6 - Picture of soldered wire using very fine electrical rosin core solder (leaded :). I put the solder iron on the bottom of the braided wires to heat up the copper. Once hot, then press the solder on the top of the braided copper, which then melts into the wires forming a solid connection. You don't want to put the solder directly on the solder iron tip and drip it on the wire. That can result in ineffective, cold solder.

Pic 7- Both sides soldered and heat shrink tubing shrunk. The tube itself was a bit long for this application. The solder connection point is not exactly in the center, as I would have to shrink over a longer portion of the old wire (for which there is limited remaining line left). In case one day I need remove; I'll still have some more room to pull back on the old wire to do it again.

Pic 8 - Connector reinstalled; as you can see the line is a few inches longer than original. Also as this point, I started the car to ensure it was operating properly. Removed the CEL's and restarted again to ensure nothing came back.

Pic 9 - I wrapped everything with electrical tape, and then did a top layer of gorilla tape just for the heck of it. I was able to route the slack through the loom clip to keep the extra slack out of the way.

Easy and straightforward...just limited room to work / solder with not much slack available on the original harness side.

Attachments

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Awesome write up

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Nice that Mopar has a repair kit for this, good to know, thanks for sharing.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle