Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Best road course tires??

Rcasa20

Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Indian Shores
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye Widebody (sold)
So if I want tires for a course like Sebring but are usable around town is the answer Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2? Talked to a rep there and that was his reco but he doesn’t rep for other manufacturers. My Dodge tech also highly recommends Michelins. Any thoughts on stock 2019 Redeye wheels for track days? Finally, when looking at the 305 20s for the Michelins I see several variations that say Ferrari, Jag, etc. Which would I choose?? Thx!! C0590B1F-617C-4F00-8AA5-21644BC14479.jpeg

Hunter

8000 Posts Club
Staff Team
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Moss Point
State
MS
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
In a 305/35 tire you might be best served to just get a PS4S tire if you're also driving it on the street. It won't be as fast as the current crop of track tires but we are talking about maybe 2 seconds per lap on a lot of courses. Unless you've done a lot of track days and had some coaching you're better off spending your time and money on those 2 things.
If however, you're looking for that competitive edge I think the only 2 to consider are the Toyo R888R and the Michelin PS 2. Normally I see the Toyo cheaper but it makes a lot of road noise that gets annoying at highway speeds on the street. The PS2 is a good tire that DGatzby has good experience with.
For a 200TW tire that will be better than a PS4S consider the Goodyear F1 Supercar 3. It comes in a 305/35 and the Camaro guys love it for overall performance and longevity without heat cycling out very quickly.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Ha, I was just tagging you in here.

OP
Rcasa20

Rcasa20

Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Indian Shores
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #5
Thanks @TrackDay I have had some coaching but perhaps my first set is a PS4S and then I can see how serious I’ll be and consider moving up from there. Appreciate it!! Are my stock wheels sufficient?

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
I agree with @TrackDay. I will be using what remains of my 305 R888R’s in May. They have produced good lap times. I hope for a bit better. IMO they rumble and sing loud to my ear, but they do perform and wear well. I will probably open up at BIR on May 3 with these in the first sessions of the year FYI. Saving a new set of Cup 2’s for after lunch.

On the Michelin side, like he said unless you have a real good reason, try the PS4, PS, PS4S. The Cup 2’s are spendy and can be soft/wear quicker than these other tires. Also, they are more sensitive to getting warm to optimize performance. It may be more easy to warm things up at Sebring, than sometimes in the early mornings here. But try their other models before you dive into the Cup 2’s. Especially if you are just getting into road coursing a Hellcat. If you don’t have all your alignment settings perfect up front a journey down the road with Cup 2’s could scrape their outside shoulders off quickly (mine did that). Even driving straight ahead. Also, I agree, they may not net a lap time that much better in our cars than other competitors that are close that I have not tried myself.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thanks @TrackDay I have had some coaching but perhaps my first set is a PS4S and then I can see how serious I’ll be and consider moving up from there. Appreciate it!! Are my stock wheels sufficient?
Yes. The OE wheels is what I have the R888R’s on. They work great.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Charger SRT HellcatJailbreak , 2019 RedEye WB
So if I want tires for a course like Sebring but are usable around town is the answer Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2? Talked to a rep there and that was his reco but he doesn’t rep for other manufacturers. My Dodge tech also highly recommends Michelins. Any thoughts on stock 2019 Redeye wheels for track days? Finally, when looking at the 305 20s for the Michelins I see several variations that say Ferrari, Jag, etc. Which would I choose?? Thx!! View attachment 40026
I have to agree with Trackday here. For the street and for some road course use the PS4S is a really great tire. I use 295s ps4s rears on my Charger on 10.5s Reps.. They warm up relatively fast and stick very good above 45-50 degrees. If you want the best performance on the street in your Redeye Though while having a decent tread life with spirited driving I’d recommend Nitto 555R2. These tires really hook well and continue doing so even being worn in a couple thousand miles. Currently I’m using 315/35 Nitto555R2 on my Redeye rear stock 11s.

Last edited:

WhipCat

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
In the Jungle
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
The recommendations that track day mentioned are spot on.

Sport cup 2 is so good for grip. the problem with the sport cup 2 is that the tire wears out so fast, and once the tire starts to go, it gets greasy and doesn’t do well anymore.

the 4s is a good tire especially if the track is wet. It’s a great long lasting tire as well, that’s what I use on the street for my track dedicated car.

my new favorite tire is the the eagle f1 supercar R’s. Fantastic grip, I’ve pulled my personal bests all with this tire. They last longer than the sport cup 2 and they hold grip much longer. I was still cutting phenomenal lap times when I was on the cords of these tires.

@Rcasa20 Rico, when are you going to Sebring?

I’m signed up for two track sessions at Sebring.

461A49B1-DEB7-4FC6-AFAB-F74552993F37.png

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images

Sport cup 2 is so good for grip. the problem with the sport cup 2 is that the tire wears out so fast, and once the tire starts to go, it gets greasy and doesn’t do well anymore.

the 4s is a good tire especially if the track is wet. It’s a great long lasting tire as well, that’s what I use on the street for my track dedicated car.

my new favorite tire is the the eagle f1 supercar R’s. Fantastic grip, I’ve pulled my personal bests all with this tire. They last longer than the sport cup 2 and they hold grip much longer. I was still cutting phenomenal lap times when I was on the cords of these tires.

View attachment 40046

And here I thought you were nothing more than a brainless pedal masher...

:p

MiHiHemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Parker
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT 426
After lowering about an inch and switching from the stock Pirelli summers to Conti Extreme Contact Sport (285/35) on all fours, I took almost 5 seconds off my personal best time.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
After lowering about an inch and switching from the stock Pirelli summers to Conti Extreme Contact Sport (285/35) on all fours, I took almost 5 seconds off my personal best time.

Which track?

HPR?

WhipCat

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
In the Jungle
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
And here I thought you were nothing more than a brainless pedal masher...

:p
no different I’m just mashing 3 pedals.

OP
Rcasa20

Rcasa20

Founding Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Indian Shores
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #15

View attachment 40046
No date yet. Need to get my tire situation settled and will keep you posted.

WhipCat

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
In the Jungle
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
No date yet. Need to get my tire situation settled and will keep you posted.

pick one of those dates and we can meet up there. I can help out. I have a whole trailer rig setup for road racing. Got you covered.

I also have a good hookup at a local tire rack. They pretty much mount new tires for me every 2 weeks. If you want a price let me know.

don’t overthink the tires to much.

if you are going to Street the tires at the same time. Just get the pilot sport 4S or the goodyear super cars NON R tire, that way you will still have tread. The R rated one will wear fast.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Good write up El Ri Co La from Indian Rocks Beach

MiHiHemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Parker
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT 426
Which track?

HPR?
Yep. New Procharged 426 build is about ready to debut. My engine builder says we’ll easily see 800 wheel on his Mustang dyno. Can’t wait to turn it loose at High Plains and Bandimere this summer!

Member ID
Reactions
City
C-burg
State
VA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Dodge Charger Daytona 392
+1 for Supercar 3 (non-R). Very nice street manners for as much grip as they provide. 1.25G left, right, and center when I was at VIR.

Xylander

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Tallahassee
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Challenger Redeye Widebody Jailbreak
I run Goodyear Eagle racing slicks on my dedicated track car. It's not even registered or insured... track only Elise, so I don't need any of that tread stuff.